Babylon 5: The Films

I was a big Farscape and Firefly geek and have been looking for a good similar show to watch. Would this be in the same vein?
Yes.....
kosh.jpg

Just watched, again, Season 4, Episode 22 "the Deconstruction of Falling Stars"..... Oh my God!!!!!! is this the best B5 episode? This is the final episode to air on PTEN channel, and at the time we thought it was the last episode of B5.

In a Million years after the events in this episode the last man in the Earth solar system says this just before leaving the Solar system for the last time where the Sun is going Nova.

"This is how the world ends swallowed in fire but not in darkness you will live on the voice of all our ancestors the voice of our fathers and our mothers to the last generation who created the world we think you would have wished for and now we leave the cradle for the last time".

I remember watching this episode thinking that it was going to be the last one. This emotional fan was thinking at the time wow what a powerful end.

Last edited:
And Yes again:

Walkers of Sigma-957, one of the First Ones, like the Vorlons a race
Billions of year old.

latest

You can still get the entire series on DVD for $75 ... throw in the movies, and you're still under $100. That's a LOT of hours of entertainment, and as mentioned, you'll probably want to watch it more than once as time passes.

Just be sure you get the correct box set for your player - worth double checking before you click BUY. Region 1 for US and Canada.

Just be sure you get the correct box set for your player - worth double checking before you click BUY. Region 1 for US and Canada.

The thing to do is get a player like the Oppo which you can purchased that have been hacked so they will play DVD's for all regions. You can also purchase External DVD's players that can be set to play DVD from other regions, you just cannot change them once set but they are so cheap you just get one for each region you are going to play. Still the best way to go is with the Oppo.

Eh .... rumor has it you can also find "easter egg" codes you can enter on your remote that will make a lot of different players regionless, but ... IMHO, still better off getting disks that work in your area without having to jump through a bunch of digital hoops. Life is complicated enough ... ;-}

PS ... I've got an Oppo AND a box set (Red Dwarf I think) that's the wrong region. Have to give that a try and see what happens. My Oppo also plays PAL if I remember right.

Just watched, again, Season 4, Episode 22 "the Deconstruction of Falling Stars"..... Oh my God!!!!!! is this the best B5 episode? This is the final episode to air on PTEN channel, and at the time we thought it was the last episode of B5.

In a Million years after the events in this episode the last man in the Earth solar system says this just before leaving the Solar system for the last time where the Sun is going Nova.

"This is how the world ends swallowed in fire but not in darkness you will live on the voice of all our ancestors the voice of our fathers and our mothers to the last generation who created the world we think you would have wished for and now we leave the cradle for the last time".

I remember watching this episode thinking that it was going to be the last one. This emotional fan was thinking at the time wow what a powerful end.

If you want to bookend that, check out the 2nd episode from the first season of the Dr Who reboot,
with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor - He and Rose visit a space station in the far future
that's in place to watch the sun expand and see the earth die ... travellers come from all over space and time ...
Really nicely filmed and a good story ... originally broadcast April 2nd, 2005.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_End_of_the_World_(Doctor_Who)

Last night's B5 "film":

The Legend Of The Rangers

Yet another B5 could have been. I always tell science fiction authors I corespondent that
in order to have good story you have to first build a good universe for the stories to exist in. When you have that then any good story can inhabit it. Straczynski built a wonderful environment for his stories to take place in. He has always said he is ready to resume Babylon 5 if he can produce the shows without interference from TV executive who think they know it all.

One of the things that Apple has talked about is setting things up so a production company can directly market their shows on something like iTunes. Imagine how that would be. You could have somebody like Straczynski produce and directly market his shows without having swim through the sewage pond that is the vertically integrated cable industry. I would gladly pay for something like this.

Last edited:
Yet another B5 could have been. I always tell science fiction authors I corespondent that
in order to have good story you have to first build a good universe for the stories to exist in. When you have that then any good story can inhabit it. Straczynski built a wonderful environment for his stories to take place in. He has always said he is ready to resume Babylon 5 if he can produce the shows without interference from TV executive who think they know it all.

One of the things that Apple has talked about is setting things up so a production company can directly market their shows on something like iTunes. Imagine how that would be. You could have somebody like Straczynski produce and directly market his shows without having swim through the sewage pond that is the vertically integrated cable industry. I would gladly pay for something like this.

After tonight's viewing of Call To Arms, I expect I'll next be seeking out the entire 5-year series.

The movies are good but the 5 year series is even better. One the things that made B5 so good is Straczynski from the beginning had mapped out a 5 year story arc. You can see this as each season has a broad theme.

Yep, very sad day in the B5 Universe :( I am a huge B5 fan, taped all the episodes when they were on in the 90's, then bought all of the Columbia House VHS ones, then bought all 5 years on DVD and then bought all the movies and then bought all the Crusade stuff. Nah, not a fanboy, nope, not me :) Real shame with the people that have passed that were on the show, especially those who were young...sigh...RIP "MISTER GARIBALDI" !

Managed to obtain (on loan) a DVD set of all five seasons. I'll be ripping away for hours, but w/ any luck I'll have the complete Babylon 5 series by the end of the day and in time to start Season I this evening. Also includes the single-season Crusade, which I'll rip as well.

Thanks to all for your input(s) @ this thread, your comments have been informative and insightful.

All rather unexpected @ an "audio" forum. :thumbsup:

I'll always remember how Londo would greet and say "Mister Garibaldi".

Great character part for Jerry Doyle.

RIP

Back
Top Bottom