Pelican case & Marantz. A good fit.

rxonmymind

At the suggestion of a fellow AK member I decided to buy a Pelican case. Turned out to be EXCELLENT advice. With the customizable removable foam provided, the receiver fit in their very snugly.
The model is 1640 and measures as follows: L x W x D
Inside 23.70" x 24.00" x 13.90"
Outside 27.20" x 27.50" x 16.30"

Buying two combo locks for the sides to keep honest people honest as they say. Also another surprise inside, I'll be doing some light mods to KEEP the receiver in there. A nice long cable lock threaded through some flush fish eye anchors.

Higly recommended.

Attachments

• IMG_20160610_073538.jpg
    IMG_20160610_073538.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20160610_073610.jpg
    IMG_20160610_073610.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20160610_073645.jpg
    IMG_20160610_073645.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Well, that's one heck of a history on the case & amp. A keeper for sure and not made to run amok all over the country.
Congrats!

I don't really understand this. Glamor shots? I could see how it would make sense for someone who need to travel with a tuner, for whatever reason. But glamor shots?
Hey Rob,
Just a photo shoot to demonstrate THIS particular case ability to hold one of the largest receiver there is.:) You don't need a bigger model unless you have the Sansui 33000G.
Of the four I have, all will be shipped in this case to eventually be restored. One already has made a round trip and should be here tomorrow. Three more to go. I'll be curious to see how it's held up.

Cheers.

Of the four I have, all will be shipped in this case to eventually be restored. One already has made a round trip and should be here tomorrow. Three more to go. I'll be curious to see how it's held up.

It should be just fine and a really good way to get gear around.

Happy to report this combo had it's maiden flight and return without a hitch.
Marantz came home perfect. I HIGHLY recommend a Pelican 1640 case.
Shipping weight was 100# and cost $130 w/insurance.
Cheers.

Added pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20170815_175531.jpg
    IMG_20170815_175531.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
FWIW the 1640 is huge. Empty shipping short distance is $50+. I think it crosses a line with FedEx now.

I scored a 1630 and its big enough for most gear and I think it will ship cheaper.

FWIW the 1640 is huge. Empty shipping short distance is $50+. I think it crosses a line with FedEx now.

I scored a 1630 and its big enough for most gear and I think it will ship cheaper.
Congrats on the score.
It's worth EVERY PENNY for high priced gear. Having rollers on it like airport luggage helps the driver a ton & it also comes with two heavy duty side handles. I'm not a weight lifter but getting it down with the handles was so-so even at 100#. Not to heavy and we'll balanced. With the very robust handles getting it UP into the suv is another story alone, but accomplished easily enough by my wife & I.
I also like the fact one can pick & pluck each individual square foam to customize it to your needs. Be it tubes, SS, turntable etc. It'll be snug & safe.
Absolutely awesome.

Attachments

• 1640-3.jpg
    1640-3.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 18
  • X-1630DBLWheel_276.jpg
    X-1630DBLWheel_276.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 17
  • customfoam.jpg
    customfoam.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
You can sometimes find old Halliburton aircraft aluminum cases at garage sales, or church rummage sales, and they work well for shipping some fragile gear: have not seen one as large as this Pelican, you can find them for $10 or $20.

Even on eBay they sell fairly cheap, given their original cost of $500+

You can sometimes find old Halliburton aircraft aluminum cases at garage sales, or church rummage sales, and they work well for shipping some fragile gear: have not seen one as large as this Pelican, you can find them for $10 or $20.

Even on eBay they sell fairly cheap, given their original cost of $500+

Thanks for the tip! Does one have to be Republican to buy one? :jump:

I believe there is a black market in Republican party membership cards that grew out of the demand for used Halliburton cases.

BTW, the company support for obsolete products is pretty good,; had a used case with no key for the lock & they provided a new lock assembly and keys very reasonably

I believe there is a black market in Republican party membership cards that grew out of the demand for used Halliburton cases.

BTW, the company support for obsolete products is pretty good,; had a used case with no key for the lock & they provided a new lock assembly and keys very reasonably
That's what I'm talking about. Companies doing people a solid, which makes me search them out. Same happened with the Little Giant ladder I found on the side of the road needing new feet & rollers. I called the company up and had credit card in hand and they said "It's on us. We'll send you four new feet and rollers, free".
Remember Little giant ladder. ;)

Ok, back to Pelicans.....

Back
Top Bottom