Why did My M60 AND M 45 Die??

OK, my Crown Amp arrived today-Anxious to get everything hooked up. Going to pair w/Yamaha C70 preamp that I just got. I downloaded the manual,but have a few questions.
It has phono direct inputs as well as phono inputs. Is The phono direct better? Because I was going to hook up 2 TT's with MM carts(one for nice vinyl, 1 for not so nice) & it says to not hook to direct if you use 2.
Also high or low impedance for phono on Preamp matter much?
C70 has built in Parametric EQ. I had planned on using my Kenwood EQ w/system-Can I, or will it present problems? Also c70 has a pre-out invert plugs to power 1 speaker out of phase to assist amp during loud passages(reverse wires on 1 speaker). This Crown amp shouldn't need that, should it? C70 also has a "disc direct" button. Manual says that turns it into a high-performance disc-exclusive amp. Is this just for Vinyl, or what?
I know listening & making best-sounding choice is in order, but I don't want to damage anything and would like guidance from experienced audiophiles. By the way, the Infiniry Kappa 7.1 are 6 Ohm.

I don't really, was just asking in case I ever did.
Mostly it'll be 1 or sometimes 2 pr. Amp should be fine with that, shouldn't it?
Guess I'll try 1 pr wired directly to the Crown & the 2 pr thru Niles & just put the Ol' ear test & decide.

With the Crown (and most pro amps) rated down to two ohms, running a couple pair of speakers directly in parallel usually is not a problem.

I run a pair of Crown CE4000 amps in bridged mode with 4 ohm subs (which is like 2 ohms in stereo). Granted, it's mostly in my garage so it's not hours and hours at full tilt boogie (the cops would haul me away) but still never a problem.

"high-performance disc-exclusive amp"

Meant for hi level inputs only.

This is incorrect the manual says it is for the direct phono inputs one MM and one MC. This preamp is from 82-84 before the CD became popular, easy mistake to make as many later units had a disc direct button to use with CD.

With two MM cartridges you the Phono 1 and Phono 2 inputs for them. Phono direct just bypasses all the junk on the preamp. No tone controls, no special settings, not filters, just a volume control and maybe the balance. You don't need to use that yet.

The impedance changes will change the sound. MM cartridges are typically looking for 47kΩ so using switch position in the kΩ (thousands ohms) will allow you to see if there is a difference and a switch position you like better. The switch is marked for the MM cartridges. Interesting that the German model and the other one pictured have different loadings for the MMs with that switch. Try it use the one that sounds good. MM only, though.

You can use as many EQ units as you want but be sure to put them in the right place. Put your Kenwood unit on a tape monitor loop on the C-70 as then it sees the proper signal level, not a very low signal level from low listening or too loud a signal when the volume is up. Noise issues per EchoWars. I believe him. You have some learning about the parametric... you set the center frequency, you set how wide the effect is and you set the ± of the level there. A regular EQ has set center frequencies (shown on the faceplate of the unit) and a built-in standard width of control.

You don't need the inverted outputs, yet. Learn your unit and check back. Pass the test and we can move on to the next class and include that inverted output.

Read the Crown manual I would seriously consider fusing the speakers. That Crown has power. Also set the input level controls so that your max volume for listening is when the C-70 is about 1 o'clock. More volume available if needed, not full volume at 9 o'clock with no control.

BlueShadow-Thanks. Very Helpful. And also, for you guys that reccomended the Crown Pro Amps- Thank You.
Amp is clean, The Yamaha C-70 is Great! So many adjustments-I'm still wading thru. I've only done a cd player so far. Still Lacking in Bass compared to the excellent mids & hi;s.
Only used Infinity SM-155 speakers & a NAD cd player. Can't wait to test the phono section, since that's 80% of my listening these days.
Running the Crown @ 2 o'clock, preamp @ 40% vol. Have toyed with Yamaha EQ(helps a little, but not a drastic boost.) Surely with all these adjustments on the Yammy-I can get decent bass. Don't really want a sub-Most speakers I have are Large Floorstanders.

Sorry for my ignorance,but fusing my speakers means getting an in-line fuse? What amp? Thanks! I used the low voltage setting in this Crown Amp even though it said the C70 put out 1.5V. It also said most rca inputs use the low setting. Bought this C70 at a garage sale. I downloaded manual, but still figuring it out-What a nice unit!

If you use common sense when you listen, turn the pwr amp on last & aren't a head banger, you won't need an in line fuse, IMO.

If you use common sense when you listen, turn the pwr amp on last & aren't a head banger, you won't need an in line fuse, IMO.

Exactly. Even Crown says fusing is iffy. If you fuse to "guarantee" protection you probably won't have max performance and if you fuse for max performance you won't have guaranteed protection.

The best advice is know your system and there won't be a problem. Be a bonehead and get what you asked for. ;)

Back
Top Bottom