What does your spouse do that drive you crazy! Audio related.

My wife likes to sing along to any song she knows the words to. Luckily she has a nice voice. She knows that it bothers me but continues to do it in a whispering fashion that is equally distracting. Oh well, I still lover her.

If I were you, I would tell her that you love her voice, and that she doesn't have to whisper anymore, and then go count your blessings. If you are lucky, you will never miss that precious, unique voice of hers!

Just about every Saturday night my audio buddy comes over to enjoy some tunes on my system. Usually its the vintage system downstairs. My wife usually decides to do the laundry then. We get to listen to the washer fill, agitate, and empty! I don't complain though, because I know what the alternative will be! Do Your Own Damn Laundry!!:bowdown: My wife has no interest in the gear, though she does like music. She's Peruvian so its latin style which I don't get into.

Besides the Abba fixation - when she shuts off the system instead of just turning off the receiver which controls the power to the other components she turns off each component individually.
But I do encourage her to use the system(s) so she can get enjoyment (and not resentment) from them.

My wife is very tolerant of my audio obsession, so I don't have much room to complain. But ... my system is in the basement - where I can hang insulation for acoustics and string stuff out all over and nobody cares :) ... AND my wife tends to run the dishwasher while I"m listening or do laundry - which are both heard as a rumble in the background along with water running down the pipes now and then. And then there's the dog (her dog) who likes to tap dance with his overgrown toe nails on the floor above my listening area. Of course, his tapping is not in synch with the music. And if I turn it up enough to drown out these annoyances, I get a tap on the shoulder telling me its too loud. So, I look forward to times when nobody else is in the house and I can rock out :)

I don't really mind the dishwasher, washer, dryer, stove fan, the air conditioner, or her TV - but I seldom listen when any are going, except for the TV at the other end of the house. All those noise sources are necessary at times for one reason or another.

What is frustrating sometimes is when an anticipated listening time is lost when I wait too long, and she starts some noise-maker up. She'll wait for me if I get going first, or ask. So, I'm actually driving myself crazy, then. Oh, well. :rolleyes:

She also goes to sleep with the TV on, louder and more frequently now, it seems.

My only pet peeve is getting in the car after her and the stereo is set to front speakers only. I don't crank a car system anymore, but I do use all the speakers available and fill the car with balanced sound.

She insists on haing 1 lite 6" plant in the room. there is nothing elses but a single chair/albums/stereo gear/1 end table. but have to have thamoronic plant in the room as if it accomplishes something.

My wife complained that she didn't have her own stereo to listen to, "All these electronics in the house and I don't even have a stereo.".

So, I set one up for her, nothing fancy, but nice none the less. Showed her extensively how to use it (very simple, not many settings).

Never seen/heard her use it so I asked her why and she replied, "I'm just not into listening to music much..." :rolleyes:

My wife, who has a college degree, will not learn how to play a DVD in our main living room, TV system. All one has to do is turn on the player, put in the disc, and change the TV input to HDMI. I recently rewired the whole mess to take out the step of changing the AVR. She can turn on the system, DISH receiver, TV, and AVR but will not play a DVD. She does sometimes play CD's in the kitchen. Peace and goodwill.

She'll sneakily turn down the volume now and then, but that's about it. If I'm sitting and listening, she leaves it alone, but if it's just background music as we do things around the house, she likes a much lower volume than I do. In her defense, she hears a little better than I do.

The only thing I had to break her of was putting CDs and DVDs back in the wrong cases, or misplacing a case and then putting 2 CDs in one case.

I really had to think about this. My girlfriend had her own stereo before we moved in together and uses my turntable for listening to her records. My only pet peeve, because otherwise she's great, is that when she is working out or cleaning, she turns the living room system way up. We are a second story apartment and I am concerned with being inoffensive. At least when she does this though it's during the day. So that doesn't give the neighbors much to complain about.

I really had to think about this. My girlfriend had her own stereo before we moved in together and uses my turntable for listening to her records. My only pet peeve, because otherwise she's great, is that when she is working out or cleaning, she turns the living room system way up. We are a second story apartment and I am concerned with being inoffensive. At least when she does this though it's during the day. So that doesn't give the neighbors much to complain about.

Everybody should have such problems! You're a lucky man.:thumbsup:

All you guys with problems about your wife's refusal to re-file CD's and DVD's why not set up a music server that both of you can access from your phones?

First off, I have to say I love my wife more than anything! and she has been very supportive of my hobbies, and also keeps me accountable so I don't spend us out of house and home :biggrin: BUT, when I get into her car the radio is turned ON to MAX volume as soon as I put the key in the ign. It gets me every time, I jump out of the seat like a spooked cat. It doesn't happen every time, but I would say 1 in 5 times, which is just enough to allow me to forget to preemptively turn down the volume.

All you guys with problems about your wife's refusal to re-file CD's and DVD's why not set up a music server that both of you can access from your phones?

Yeah, the misfiled CDs are mostly a moot point these days. We have a music server set up now, though the vintage rig isn't connected to it. I've looked into it, but it's pretty low priority.

when I get into her car the radio is turned ON to MAX volume as soon as I put the key in the ign.

Hehe, the audio equivalent of somebody leaving the showerhead valve activated so you get a chilly surprise as soon as you turn on the water! If I ever install another one, it will be the kind that shuts itself off along with the main water valve.

Back
Top Bottom