Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

A major traffic jam forced me to take an alternate route home today...which just happens to pass by a Goodwill store. I almost didn't bother to stop in but I'm glad I did: Found an AR XA turntable for $6 dollars! It's a fairly late model with the vinyl base instead of walnut, but it came with an interesting armlift (apparently a Colton Varilift?) and an Ortofon FF15XE Mk II cartridge. The headshell is in very good condition and overall it looks to be in nice shape:

View attachment 776193

Great find, that TT is very beautiful, but you should change out the cartridge the sooner the better. The Ortofon FF15-series is the worst sounding series from Ortofon, almost anything will sound better.

A major traffic jam forced me to take an alternate route home today...which just happens to pass by a Goodwill store. I almost didn't bother to stop in but I'm glad I did: Found an AR XA turntable for $6 dollars! It's a fairly late model with the vinyl base instead of walnut, but it came with an interesting armlift (apparently a Colton Varilift?) and an Ortofon FF15XE Mk II cartridge. The headshell is in very good condition and overall it looks to be in nice shape:

View attachment 776193

Nice! That's a good looking unit. I owe my Empire 598 score to the deer I hit. I had to leave work early to pick up my car from the bodyshop and found the Empire at a nearby Savers. I suppose it doesn't quite balance out the $500 insurance deductible, but at least some good came out of it.

I had to go to the next town yesterday evening with my wife, and since we were near by, I did a slight detour to the local Value Village. My wife has gotten hooked since she found a few clothing scores. :)

It was a zoo with 50% off on all clothes, and I didn't find anything at the electrical section, or any other section for that matter, until I went to the record section. Normally, I never find anything at this store, but yesterday was my lucky day! I'm quite stoked as I found 25 very minty records except the Cream album, which is missing side one and two, but I already have it and sides 3 and 4 on this one are great, as is the cover compared to my original.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I had to go to the next town yesterday evening with my wife, and since we were near by, I did a slight detour to the local Value Village. My wife has gotten hooked since she found a few clothing scores. :)

It was a zoo with 50% off on all clothes, and I didn't find anything at the electrical section, or any other section for that matter, until I went to the record section. Normally, I never find anything at this store, but yesterday was my lucky day! I'm quite stoked as I found 25 very minty records except the Cream album, which is missing side one and two, but I already have it and sides 3 and 4 on this one are great, as is the cover compared to my original.

View attachment 776744 View attachment 776746 View attachment 776747 View attachment 776748 View attachment 776749 View attachment 776750 View attachment 776752 View attachment 776753 View attachment 776754 View attachment 776756

Nice grabs man, good work :)

Yeah, there was something in the back of my head telling me to stop by, and even though I knew I would be a little late for my next appointment, I went with it. There were another 25 at least minty records I left behind because I didn't need or want them. I was tempted to get them anyways, but why pick them up only to have them rejected by the local used record store? I had been looking for another copy of cream, and also Simply Red. I spent the late afternoon cleaning them, which is why most of them are in plastic sleeves. Make note, need to get more inserts and sleeves...

295924-celestion_f15_and_s80_subwoofer.jpg
I found some Celestion F15 bookshelf speakers for $9.99. They are ported, heavy, and seem to be well built. This is a picture I found on the 'net.

New, they were $220 a pair in 2005, and got decent reviews. Are they in good condition?

One is in great condition. The other one has a little veneer chip at the bottom that needs to be re-glued, and someone broke the little pegs off the grille that attaches it to the cabinet. I'll have to figure out a workaround on that. They did get pretty good reviews and I figured with their weight they were worth 10 bucks.

KLH model 6. $25 at SA. First pair of speakers I've ever found at that store. Decent shape, no major damage, just some scratches and a few dings, couple spots of chipped veneer. I'll spend an hour or so and have them looking pretty good. I want to put new cloth on the grills, try to match original, or go with something different?

View attachment 777609 View attachment 777612
My vote for what its worth, is go similar. Like that vintage look.

Best find for me this week was not audio related. Danish dining table with 4 chairs. $130. It's teak, and extends. The kind of table that extends from the end... I do need to refinish it, but it's way cool!

Attachments

• 14717375546061517085007.jpg
    14717375546061517085007.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 78
That's in better shape than my dining room table. It would go straight into service at my house. Very nice!

It's in pretty good shape. Legs need some work. Nothing that can't sand out though. I'm a woodworker, so I'm going to make this better than new and flip it. I really like Danish design, and would love to keep it, but finances say different right now..

Also found some LPs at 2 for $1.00. Covers had some wear but the vinyl was nice.

View attachment 777622

That Bruce Springsteen bootleg is a pretty neat pickup. The December 1978 Winterland Ballroom show is one of the legendary (among Bruce-nuts) performances from the "Darkness on the Edge of Town" tour. I remember he played in Boston at the Garden in September 1978 (I was a HS senior) but for some reason I didn't go. :dunno:

That Bruce Springsteen bootleg is a pretty neat pickup. The December 1978 Winterland Ballroom show is one of the legendary (among Bruce-nuts) performances from the "Darkness on the Edge of Town" tour. I remember he played in Boston at the Garden in September 1978 (I was a HS senior) but for some reason I didn't go. :dunno:

I've never gotten into Bruce Springsteen. No reason why not really... I'll have to check that one out!

Back
Top Bottom