Pandora's New Streaming Service.....

SWL3600

Read an article saying that Pandora is gonna pick up where Rdio left off.....sometime in September.

I'm a Spotify Premium user and very happy with it.......except the Radio Stations still suck. Which is why this new Pandora service has gotten my attention. When I used Pandora, I thought their radio stations were very good. Soooo this should be interesting.

Any opinions or comments on what's to come of Pandora's new venture?

Looks like they are going for the Spotify market share on the free side. RDIO was a good sounding service ... they own the infrastructure ... wonder if they'll keep it all the same 320k AAC on the premium side.

Just saw an article about Spotify having issues with contract negotiations with the major labels:

http://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/spotify-contract-three-major-labels-wants-pay-less/

Also, Cnet is reporting that Amazon is going to get into the subcription music business and may hav separate $4 a month service that only works with the Echo. Interesting times in the streaming business. Pandora should be able to put together a great service, but I still have my doubts that they will be successful. They might make themselves more desirable to a company with deeper pockets, though.

Read an article saying that Pandora is gonna pick up where Rdio left off.....sometime in September.

Aye. This was revealed last year shortly after Pandora acquired rdio's assets. (tech & select employees)

As a die hard rdio fan, I'm certainly looking forward to what Pandora conjures up & out of rdio's ashes. :angel::banana:

My hope is they will resurrect rdio's fantastic features & uber intuitive UI that made them famous. Infamous? lol

Another wishful expectation is that Pandora will leverage their distinctive radio chops/expertise and provide a cut above the completion's "station" experience. (personally that's not really such a high bar on any current service)

As for Pandora's success/future in the interactive realm, given their long/extensive history and present footprint in the music streaming space, I think their tea leaves spill out a skooge better than several of the other less funded/footprinted in this biz. Frankly, with Pandora's 81 million active users, I smell some significant upgrades to interactive paid as well as a considerable amount of defections from other services. Just a well-seasoned spitball ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Out of the gate, there will be new smell hoopla & free trials ala Apple Music launch. Whether they weather the storm 1-2 years from now is a coin toss. I mean, lest we forget, with just 3.5 million users, how the F is Rhapsody Napster still around? #gojunkyarddog :thumbsup:

While Pandora is catching the IA train late...given the explosive growth now and to come in this arena, it has not left the station. Wild evolutionary times have been had the past 16 years and deadly curves abound ahead. And while a healthy checkbook comes in handy, it's not the only factor in this Darwinistic period.

After the nascent gymnastics settles and streaming scales to survivable subscription numbers for the big pocket beasts...product quality will prevail. #bookoutthewindow

Here's to the success & survival of multiple players & disrupters going forward. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Hope this works for Pandora, I was glad that they made this step and have been patiently waiting for them to break this out. Competition is going to be rough and tough and I think the long game will be won by the deepest pockets (Apple, Google and Amazon). As a longtime Pandora customer I will give their new service a go and have already cancelled my Spotify account but then again I generally like to support the underdog.

As a former Rdio (and current Tidal) subscriber, I'm really looking forward to Pandora's entry into the field. I will definitely be signing up for the free trial -- assuming there is one, of course.

The 81 million has shrunk to 78 million, if articles I have seen lately are true. They are losing money at an increasing rate, though.

"The shares fell 0.8 percent to $14.17 as of mid-day on Tuesday. Pandora's net loss widened in the first half of 2016 to $191.4 million from $64.1 million a year earlier"
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/13/pandora-is-taking-on-spotify-and-apple--and-wants-to-go-global.html

Free, with commercials, is an easy market to attract. Just ask Spotify. However, almost every single person I know that uses Pandora as their main music service doesn't care enough about music to pay for it...with the exception of one guy that pays for Pandora One, but has no interest in on-demand streaming ( he had Rhapsody at one point and never used it). Last I heard, they only converted 4million to Pandora One and this is a much harder sell at twice the price.

I am going to trial it, because that is what I do:beatnik:, but I still think Facebook is going to buy one of these services. I think they will end up with Spotify to grab all those CC numbers, but time will tell. Maybe the Rdio/Pandora Mix would be a better fit and superior ( in many ways) to most of the other services.

I will trial them as well. I really like their 'radio station' format - much better track choices than others I've tried. I'm a Spotify subscriber now. Great on-demand library but lousy stations.

Any service has to support my squeezebox platform, tho.

RDIO had a plan for $4 a month ... AAC 320kbps ... it did include adds. Really liked that one ... I already had a Spotify account at the time ... so I used it as a supplement.

Don't think Pandora will go for that though.

Today Pandora kicked off it's rebrand along with a refurbed logo.

panoldlogo.png

has become....

pandoratrans.png

funny how their new schtick closely resembles.....

rdiotrans.png

;)

Last edited:
In a rare 'good for goose & gander collaboration, Apple is now allowing iMessage users to embed song clips from Pandora radio. iOS 10 required.

Kudos to both.

Back
Top Bottom