KG5.5 vs Epic CF-2 (v.1) vs Chorus II

tomlinmgt

Lunatic Member
I currently have the 5.5's (w/ Crites Ti diaphragms and all walls lined with loose fiberglass) and have an opportunity to acquire the other two models in the title. Listening space is 30Lx20W with 12' vaulted ceiling. Placement is restricted to 18" or less (preferably less than 12") from front wall with 8' spread between speakers (center to center) and listening position 12' from speakers. I do have multiple subs (with room correction filters) for LF reinforcement. Needless to say, with the 5.5's and subs the reproduction of LF is not an issue. These are used as mains for 2-channel listening and watching TV (which is mostly watching live musical performances on YouTube...so recording quality is all over the map). Electronics in this rig currently consist of Pioneer Elite AVR, but I'll switch to a nice pre/pro soon and have a large selection of amplification including PP (KT-88/77) and 300B SET, Pass F5 clone and White Oak modded PL700B (so passive multi-amping is an option).

What I'm looking for is sweeter, bolder upper bass and mid range reproduction, better image/sound stage resolution and a larger sense of scale from the overall reproduction....like I enjoyed from my Altec 19's (which simply don't fit in the location I have in this room). The Crites Ti tweeter is pretty nice, and the 10" drivers in the 5.5's get the job done, but I've certainly heard better, and feel like even with additional mods to the 5.5's the drivers will still be a weak link.

The Epic series intrigues me because I like the MTM design concept for its single driver like dispersion characteristics and two-way simplicity. Some of the best speakers I've heard in terms of imaging and sound stage resolution, tonality, transients and mid-bass-HF dynamics were MTM's using 8" mid bass drivers and ring radiator tweeters...so I'm a believer in the merits of a properly executed D'Apollito design. My understanding is that the CF-2's neo magnet mid bass drivers and 2" aluminum driver in the Tractrix horn are of high quality, so I'm inclined to think their general reproduction characteristics would best the 5.5's drivers...which to me seem somewhat cheap. What I don't want to give up is any sense of dynamics and the effortless, visceral and tactile reproduction one gets from a large or multiple large-ish mid bass drivers. I have a feeling four 8" drivers of high build quality should be able to pull this off, but there are lots of variables at play that will determine success or otherwise. The downside to this particular pair of CF-2's is they're about two hours away...and I'm not a person with much free time.

The Chorus II's interest me because, well, they're Chorus II's...and everyone seems to speak highly of Chorus II's. The downside to these is the seller is asking more than I've ever seen for a pair of Chorus...and more than what I typically see Cornwalls go for. And they're finished in light oak, which I'm not crazy about. But, they are Chorus II's and are about the only 15" driver equipped speaker I can fit where I need them to fit...plus, those simply don't pop up often in these parts.

I'm not afraid of doing mods, but only like putting money into modding speakers if I got into them at a good price to begin with...so not likely that I'll want to put any more money into the Chorus II's unless the seller is willing to come WAY off of his asking price (which I won't give). I'm even willing to perform additional mods to my 5.5's if there's more to be gained....I'd even pondered the idea of cutting a new front baffle for a MTM configuration like the CF-4 and adding a lot of internal bracing, but even with that I'm still left with the seemingly cheap 10" drivers.

So what say you, resident Klipsch fans and freaks???

The Epic C-4's I had were out of this world good, I currently have CF-2's which are still very good.

Since you own both, Steve, can you tell if the cf-2 and -4 share the same Tractrix horn and driver?

Since you own both, Steve, can you tell if the cf-2 and -4 share the same Tractrix horn and driver?

I don't own the C-4's any longer, I am pretty sure they had a larger horn but similar. They belonged in a bigger listening area, even a night club would be fine for those.

The Choruses would likely be your best bet forward on overall better sound; moving away from the 2-ways into a 3-way and one of Klipsch best ever Heritage-killers. That being said, to really make them sing, new tweeter and squawker titanium diaphragms and a bit of XO modification to allow for the mid titanium is what really thrusts them to whole new levels. If you aren't in any hurry, I'd advise you to wait and see if another pair comes up in the next few months... the overall presentation with the Tractrix and 15" with 15" passive is worth it. Even waiting for a pair of Fortes would be worth it, I think the Epics would be more of a lateral move.

The cf and the kg sound very similar with the kg having a slightly better mid and the kg having slightly better bass. Still, I don't like the sound of the two ways and prefer the three way design. Even though the Chorus has less bass than either, I prefer it's sound and it's efficiency is great. Still the Chorus II is too much for that size room and they are quite big. Instead I would recommend a Forte II. It has much better bass then the Chorus II and for me it's the second best sounding Klipsch that I have heard (with the Klipschorn being number 1). It would also fit the space quite well and cost less.

Thanks for the info, guys.

fernarias, I'm a little surprised to hear someone say a room the size of mine isn't large enough for the Chorus II. Do you say that because you feel like there needs go be more distance from the speakers to the listening position than what I have? I had Altec 19's in a 16x20 (dedicated listening space with extensive acoustic treatments) and they sounded magnificent.

Thanks for the info, guys.

fernarias, I'm a little surprised to hear someone say a room the size of mine isn't large enough for the Chorus II. Do you say that because you feel like there needs go be more distance from the speakers to the listening position than what I have? I had Altec 19's in a 16x20 (dedicated listening space with extensive acoustic treatments) and they sounded magnificent.

My space is 14 x 24 and they can fill the entire room with less than 1/2 a watt at moderate volume (not too loud). The fortes can do the same with a little more power and they sound better than the Chorus IIs. Besides, you said 8 feet between speakers and 12 feet from the speakers so the Forte II are perfect (and much cheaper than the going rate for Chorus IIs).

Chorus all the way-- or Fortes too- not even really a contest IMO. Chorus and Forte are a true Heritage line speaker and is unadulterated Klipsch, the others are after the demise of the REAL Heritage line

I had a set of Fortes (that belonged to a friend) for a few weeks...which was long enough to get a good impression of them. I thought they were a very fun listen, but they lacked the life like scale and sound stage dimensionality I was accustomed to at the time (my primary speakers around that time were Infinity QLS-1's). But I did enjoy their lively character, and often said that if their presentation could be a little larger then that's a set of speakers Id like to own. So yesterday another set of Chorus II's popped up (and fairly close to where I live). They're in near mint condition and the price was reasonable (for me, at least) so I grabbed 'em up. There's just too much positive feedback about them out there to not give them a try.

Last edited:
Rural Tom, what exact crossover modifications do you do with the Chorus II to accommodate Ti mids and tweeters? Thanks

i will be following this thread with great interest. i currently have a set of kg5.5's (with crites ti diaphragms) and have often wondered if a jump to fortes (or chorus) would be a worthwhile venture. i am currently quite pleased with the 5.5's but always wonder if there are better options for me out there (dont we all?)

i will be following this thread with great interest. i currently have a set of kg5.5's (with crites ti diaphragms) and have often wondered if a jump to fortes (or chorus) would be a worthwhile venture. i am currently quite pleased with the 5.5's but always wonder if there are better options for me out there (dont we all?)

I started with KG 5.2s and it just kept getting better from there, AFAIC the leap from two way to three way is tremendous, though I'm sure some prefer the two ways.

I've owned Cornwalls, RF7IIs, and CF3s V1 and V2. I liked all better than Fortes which, to my ear, sound unrefined by comparison. Too bad your so far away I may be selling a pair of CF3s. At least you could heat them for yourself.

OP, I'm listening almost near field to rebuilt Chorus IIs w/ Ti tweeter diaphragms and new Crites x-overs, and get a great sound stage from them. Near field reduces the room's impact somewhat, I've also optimized positioning and treated room to a small extent. With a good tube amp and quality source I'm very satisfied after chasing the sound since the Seventies.

Finally got around to setting up my new-to-me Chorus II's. I've only had a chance to listen to them while watching some Sunday football and compared to the 5.5's there is noticeable sibilance to dialogue (most noticeable during commercial breaks where advertisers have their own loudness war going on) and I'm detecting a strident character to the presentation...I'm actually experiencing a touch of ear fatigue. What do you Klipsch gurus think may be the culprit...bad match to the Pioneer AVR?...stock tweeter diaphragms?...combination of both? I have Crites Ti diaphragms in my 5.5's...any chance those are the same diaphragms Crites uses to replace the stock units in the Chorus II's?

I currently have the 5.5's (w/ Crites Ti diaphragms and all walls lined with loose fiberglass) and have an opportunity to acquire the other two models in the title. Listening space is 30Lx20W with 12' vaulted ceiling. Placement is restricted to 18" or less (preferably less than 12") from front wall with 8' spread between speakers (center to center) and listening position 12' from speakers. I do have multiple subs (with room correction filters) for LF reinforcement. Needless to say, with the 5.5's and subs the reproduction of LF is not an issue. These are used as mains for 2-channel listening and watching TV (which is mostly watching live musical performances on YouTube...so recording quality is all over the map). Electronics in this rig currently consist of Pioneer Elite AVR, but I'll switch to a nice pre/pro soon and have a large selection of amplification including PP (KT-88/77) and 300B SET, Pass F5 clone and White Oak modded PL700B (so passive multi-amping is an option).

What I'm looking for is sweeter, bolder upper bass and mid range reproduction, better image/sound stage resolution and a larger sense of scale from the overall reproduction....like I enjoyed from my Altec 19's (which simply don't fit in the location I have in this room). The Crites Ti tweeter is pretty nice, and the 10" drivers in the 5.5's get the job done, but I've certainly heard better, and feel like even with additional mods to the 5.5's the drivers will still be a weak link.

The Epic series intrigues me because I like the MTM design concept for its single driver like dispersion characteristics and two-way simplicity. Some of the best speakers I've heard in terms of imaging and sound stage resolution, tonality, transients and mid-bass-HF dynamics were MTM's using 8" mid bass drivers and ring radiator tweeters...so I'm a believer in the merits of a properly executed D'Apollito design. My understanding is that the CF-2's neo magnet mid bass drivers and 2" aluminum driver in the Tractrix horn are of high quality, so I'm inclined to think their general reproduction characteristics would best the 5.5's drivers...which to me seem somewhat cheap. What I don't want to give up is any sense of dynamics and the effortless, visceral and tactile reproduction one gets from a large or multiple large-ish mid bass drivers. I have a feeling four 8" drivers of high build quality should be able to pull this off, but there are lots of variables at play that will determine success or otherwise. The downside to this particular pair of CF-2's is they're about two hours away...and I'm not a person with much free time.

The Chorus II's interest me because, well, they're Chorus II's...and everyone seems to speak highly of Chorus II's. The downside to these is the seller is asking more than I've ever seen for a pair of Chorus...and more than what I typically see Cornwalls go for. And they're finished in light oak, which I'm not crazy about. But, they are Chorus II's and are about the only 15" driver equipped speaker I can fit where I need them to fit...plus, those simply don't pop up often in these parts.

I'm not afraid of doing mods, but only like putting money into modding speakers if I got into them at a good price to begin with...so not likely that I'll want to put any more money into the Chorus II's unless the seller is willing to come WAY off of his asking price (which I won't give). I'm even willing to perform additional mods to my 5.5's if there's more to be gained....I'd even pondered the idea of cutting a new front baffle for a MTM configuration like the CF-4 and adding a lot of internal bracing, but even with that I'm still left with the seemingly cheap 10" drivers.

So what say you, resident Klipsch fans and freaks???
If you have your heart set on the Chorus IIs, I would take this tact. Tell the owner that if hasn't sold those speakers in 2-3 weeks, you will offer him 'X' amount for them. You can tell him to check around, his speakers are overpriced. He probably overpaid for them and he wants to get his investment back.

^^^
I actually found a set of II's from a different seller and picked those up for a more reasonable price than the set I was talking about in the OP.

Seems that sibilance issue is only there with dialog in commercials. With music or steamed programming through an Amazon Fire I'm not getting it. I'm actually enjoying the Chorus II's quite a lot. Watching a Steely Dan concert via YouTube right now and they sound damn good....an absolute improvement over the 5.5's. Much stronger center image and just more meat throughout the midrange. Bottom end is more round, full and robust with no sacrifice of punch that the 5.5's have in spades. I'm looking forward to getting some better electronics upstream.

Back
Top Bottom