What was the last movie you watched?

"Two Weeks in Another Town"--terrible, worst Vincente Minelli movie I've seen and I like Minelli. Good cast too--Edward G. Robinson, Clair Trevor, Kirk Douglas--but no dice.

Have you seen the late 1940s "Joan of Arc" with Ingrid Bergman? IMO a far superior movie. Directed by Victor Fleming and shot in a lurid, over saturated Technicolor like his more famous "Gone With the Wind". The attack on the Tourelles at Orleans is far more realistic in this movie and done with hair raising energy.

First rate cast with Bergman, Jose Ferrer, Francis L Sullivan, J. Carrol Naish, Ward Bond, John Ireland, Henry Brandon (who played "Scar" in The Searchers) and many other fine players of the time.

I just got the Image media DVD of the film, played a few moments just to check the disc -
the color is stunning, the image is crisp, so it IS the restored version of the film,
but it has an odd edge distortion as the camera scans around the room.
The image is full height on the screen - the center of the screen looks normal
but there is a compression element on the L&R edges of the scene.

I've only seen this in a couple of DVDs I have ... most recently, The Highwaymen concert.
I think its a NY concert, but came from an overseas distributor as it is not available in the US for some odd reason.

Forsaken

Well acted movie. Routine 'Gunfighter' script. Good movie but predictable.

forsaken-dvd-211x300.jpg

Kids nowadays either don't read books or can't read: How r u? Gd? I remember on another forum typing a four to five paragraph post. I got the reply: tldr. I had to look that up. When I found out what that meant. I replied: I guess you've never attempted a book.

I remember an interview with Elle McPherson. She said(when asked what books she read): "I never read a book that I haven't written". I guess that you've already figured out that she hasn't written any either. She probably thought that was a witty answer to the question. Not realising that she was owning up to being a dimwit. She is obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Last edited:
Kids nowadays either don't read books or can't read: How r u? Gd? I remember on another forum typing a four to five paragraph post. I got the reply: tldr. I had to look that up. When I found out what that meant. I replied: I guess you've never attempted a book.

I remember an interview with Elle McPherson. She said(when asked what books she read): "I never read a book that I haven't written". I guess that you've already figured out that she hasn't written any either. She probably thought that was a witty answer to the question. Not realising that she was owning up to being a dimwit. She is obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Well when they look like Elle McPherson they can get away with being dumb as a box of rocks but only for about 20 years or so then they either fade into obscurity, marry a has-been rock star or start making infomercials. I guess I should add that one career option seems to be a judge on one of the God awful "talent" shows.

Last edited:
Time Out Of Mind

I haven't quite finished this(watched 90%). I love this film. It is so un-Hollywood. It is the story of a homeless man. No happy endings here(I'd wager). Bleak storyline. Not romanticised. Gere doesn't play the noble victim of a cruel world. Nor is his character exaggeratedly dramatised. There is the ring of truth to the script, directing and acting. If anything, I'm sure that this situation can be far bleaker for the extremely mentally ill or those who have surrendered all of their dignity to their circumstances. In its restraint, I find this movie refreshingly true to life. A very,very rare thing for a film at any time in film history.

The subject matter may not be desired by many. It is not entertainment. Nor does it provide escapism. It is entirely fictional yet entirely plausible. I looked up the details of who was responsible for story, script and directing and saw that they all came from the same individual. He obviously knew what he wanted to convey, and did that ably. A bleak, realistic, achievement. I respect this film very much.

Time_Out_of_Mind_(2014_film)_poster.jpg

Time Out Of Mind

I haven't quite finished this(watched 90%). I love this film. It is so un-Hollywood. It is the story of a homeless man. No happy endings here(I'd wager). Bleak storyline. Not romanticised. Gere doesn't play the noble victim of a cruel world. Nor is his character exaggeratedly dramatised. There is the ring of truth to the script, directing and acting. If anything, I'm sure that this situation can be far bleaker for the extremely mentally ill or those who have surrendered all of their dignity to their circumstances. In its restraint, I find this movie refreshingly true to life. A very,very rare thing for a film at any time in film history.

The subject matter may not be desired by many. It is not entertainment. Nor does it provide escapism. It is entirely fictional yet entirely plausible. I looked up the details of who was responsible for story, script and directing and saw that they all came from the same individual. He obviously knew what he wanted to convey, and did that ably. A bleak, realistic, achievement. I respect this film very much.

Time_Out_of_Mind_(2014_film)_poster.jpg
theophile, thank you for your intelligent critique of this film, I consider myself to be a cinema buff versus being a movie fan. I prefer non-mainstream films to the usual mindless dreck that pervades the multiplex theaters. I will seek out this film now thanks to you. In fairness to the mainstream I do occasionally go see a junk food movie for entertainment purposes only just for the hell of it.

I'm kind of depressed now. I'm not a book reader either and now find this makes me a dimwitted butter knife.

Watched The Secret of Moonacre, Tim Curry. Not impressed. Maybe I'll get the book ?

Moon last weekend. Good one.
Split Second, Rutger Hauer. Sad waste of film.

Last edited:
Did you watch the US version or the Swedish version? I saw both. I liked the acting better in the Swedish version but felt that the story was told better in the US version.
I watched the US version. It showed me Daniel can act if he wants too.

I watched the US version. It showed me Daniel can act if he wants too.
He gets criticised a lot but is a better actor than many concede. It's funny but it takes watching a bad actor to see that most who succeed in the game don't do too bad a job of it. I converse regularly with a US actor of the 1950s who now resides in Australia. No names. She quite readily concedes that she was a lousy actor in her first few films. She is absolutely spot on in that assessment. She gets her lines right and is terribly beautiful but in those first few movies absolutely stinks as an actor. I mean ham to the max. She got better and was fairly convincing by the time her career petered out. I hope that she doesn't read this(she doesn't know 'theophile' so I'll probably get away with this) but she defines crap acting for me(sorry my dear) and makes me realise just how well most actors do at their craft.

Back
Top Bottom