Repair PCB on SX-1080 power supply (AWR-152)

THAT is what we will find out as I help troubleshoot this intermittently. First is to get a good 1080 and iron out the preamp / power amp questions.
:) :thumbsup:
Echowars said : 5. Power supply problem causing issues with preamp functions.

Power supply issues were lumped in with dirty switches, bad relay (burned contacts) , a capacitor problem in the amp (not with this almost completely direct coupled POWER amp, but Capacitor problems in the preamp are still possible.) and cabling issue could mean there's a wire problem IN your 1080.
But THAT would have to be the SAME problem on BOTH channels - or a problem with a common element - which is why I had you looking at the signal grounds in the audio chain.

Right - and once I manage to get the power supply fixed, that element can be removed from the suspicious list.

For now I will try and find the best way to repair the solder pads.
I'm considering to glue a piece of neatly shaped wire around the pin holes, with some heat resistant glue.

This JB-Weld seems like a good choice for the job ?
https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-829...al&ie=UTF8&qid=1471577672&tag=viglink28020-20

I mean mount them to the amp heat sinks and run wires back to the power supply.
Ahh - that's creative :thumbsup: I suppose that could be done, but now that I have experienced baaad noise from runnnig wires across the PSU, I'm not tempted by that solution. Also I still need to fix solder pads for other components than the hot-running trannys.

JB Weld is known to have conductive issues, if I remember correctly from an echowars post.
I tested W B Weld's conductivity before I started using it in my STV-xH repairs, two 1" bare copper parallel wires in a puddle of it.
I don't remember how high up in voltage I went, but I had a digital microammeter in series with it and it registered nothing.

BUT that is NOT the way to do it.
Clean the trace to bare copper all the way down.
Bare wire wound around each component lead, following the trace.
Then solder it all together.
No glue involved. The component leads are the stability points.

Last edited:
I tested W B Weld's conductivity before I started using it in my STV-xH repairs, two 1" bare copper parallel wires in a puddle of it.
I don't remember how high up in voltage I went, but I had a digital microammeter in series with it and it registered nothing.
OK, not an issue then, but NO GLUE - got it ;) (I did manage to order it, though, should arrive tomorrow )
BUT that is NOT the way to do it.
Clean the trace to bare copper all the way down.
Bare wire wound around each component lead, following the trace.
Then solder it all together.
No glue involved. The component leads are the stability points.

The reason i even considered glue, is that the larger heat sinks I mounted on Q1 & Q4 are weighing them down, pressing/pushing the traces away from the board.

I will make new heat sinks for them from a PC CPU heat sink, that will rest on the surface, and follow your recipe to the point, Mark :thumbsup:

Well, I actually think I got it fixed this time :banana:

I prepped the traces to be soldered on, wrapped a piece of wire to pins where appropriate (Q1, Q4, Q5) or used the component lead to solder directly on the trace, where it could reach (R8, D10, D11).

Remounted the components and lit her up with great excitement. Thankfully there is now much more clarity and crispnes to the treble and much more response, and the bas is not as muddy as before.

So - the conclusion is that a beat up power supply can spoil the sound. This may be logic to some, but not to me.

Hopefully this has to be end for this recap-oddesy, that began more than 2 years ago.

Thanks to every one looked by and contributed.
:rockon:

upload_2016-8-26_21-18-42.png upload_2016-8-26_21-19-9.png upload_2016-8-26_21-19-55.png upload_2016-8-26_21-20-26.png upload_2016-8-26_21-20-47.png upload_2016-8-26_21-21-7.png upload_2016-8-26_21-21-19.png upload_2016-8-26_21-21-28.png

Last edited:
well done saving the board .. it looked passed it to me by the burnt looking of it in the pics. i have done plenty of point to point repairs like yours but never attempted a burned looking board like yours .

well done saving the board .. it looked passed it to me by the burnt looking of it in the pics. i have done plenty of point to point repairs like yours but never attempted a burned looking board like yours .

Thanks!

Once I decided to get on with it, it actually wasn't too difficult. What I needed was the encouragement in general, and the precise description Mark (thanks, again Mark :thumbsup: ) gave, that made it easy to do.

I'm still surprised that the repair had such a great impact of the sound. Why would a beat up power supply influence the quality of sound ? :confused:.

Thanks!

Once I decided to get on with it, it actually wasn't too difficult. What I needed was the encouragement in general, and the precise description Mark (thanks, again Mark :thumbsup: ) gave, that made it easy to do.

I'm still surprised that the repair had such a great impact of the sound. Why would a beat up power supply influence the quality of sound ? :confused:.

Because I ASSUMED that all your power supply voltages were correct. Once the rebuild corrected it, I saw no documentation showing the original power supply voltages, nor do I now see what the repaired supply's voltages are. The initial conditions appear to be irretrievably lost.

I AM glad that the sound is now correct, that would have been a nasty troubleshooting session.

Because I ASSUMED that all your power supply voltages were correct. Once the rebuild corrected it, I saw no documentation showing the original power supply voltages, nor do I now see what the repaired supply's voltages are. The initial conditions appear to be irretrievably lost.
Well, all voltages are as they have been ever since I began 2½ years ago - both before and after this repair. The largest deviation from specs is that the 76 volts are 83-84 volts, and the 60V about 62-63 volts.
I AM glad that the sound is now correct, that would have been a nasty troubleshooting session.

Thanks, so am I :) - and I don't think I could have done without your advice :thumbsup:

I suppose this error must be very rare (damaged, and poorly repaired PSU) - I guess it could be written up in the checklist when trouble shooting poor sound.
  1. Has the PSU been repaired from fierce overheat, using jumper wires to compensate delaminated traces,
, or something like that.

It isn't logical to me, that there should be any relation here - it's like checking the fuel filter in your car, if your
aircon doesn't work.

Anyway, I'm really happy with it now - and so I can start on the Luxman R1500, that I got as a temporary replacement, but which failed after a week :thumbsdown:

Back
Top Bottom