How do I connect a Parasound z amp/pre to new TV for audio

OK, now where does the cable box fit in. Still the same as if I weren't using the Parasound gear, meaning directly into the HDMI of the TV?

Yes.

It sounds like you're using the TV as the hub/source selector. So, all your HDMI sources go to the TV, then the optical out should send the audio from the input selected in the TV (cable, Blu ray player, game console, etc.) audio to the DAC and the DAC in turn to the Parasound.

Ok. I get it. I didn't want to wait for that DAC from parts supply to ship so I just went to my local Best Buy and got one for $29. Will the audio improve with a more expensive DAC? Any suggestions around $100?

So when I hooked up bluray to TV HDMI 2 I got no audio from bluray, only from TV source. So I got a digital RCA coaxial connector. I connected bluray digital coaxial to DAC digital coaxial and I get audio now from the bluray but no audio from TV. What do I do now?

To route all the source audio through the TV, you may need to go into the audio or output settings of the TV to see if you can force it to output PCM only.

If it's one of the TVs that can actually pass Dolby Digital from an external input, a normal DAC can't work with that because it's not a Dolby decoder.

Last edited:
Just to be clear because this is all foreign to me: When I connected the DAC to the TV with an optical connector and then RCA to the Parasound I had TV audio through the Parasound. When I added the DVD player to the TV with an HDMI cable I still only had audio for the TV, none for the DVD. So when I added the digital RCA coaxial connector from the DVD player to the DAC I lost TV audio and but gained DVD audio. I did not disconnect the TV audio via the optical cable from the DAC. Why would I loose TV audio?

I don't know what DAC you are using, but sounds like it has automatic input selection and possibly priority to the coaxial input.

Yes...those el cheapo DAC's are great. For so little you get so much. I have 3 in various uses.
My living room TV has one to take the Coax out from the TV to the DAC and then into my Onkyo rcvr. with a quick trip into a equalizer to fix an in room mid frequency annoying bump.
I also have one from my Mac mini toslink out into the DAC then into my Marantz 1060 for computer sound. Then into a pair of AR 7 for desk top audio.

EDIT: The Insignia DAC I just looked at on BB website seems to imply there is a switch to select between the coaxial and optical input. Is there one on your DAC and, if so, safe to presume you tried that?

Last edited:
EDIT: The Insignia DAC I just looked at on BB website seems to imply there is a switch to select between the coaxial and optical input. Is there one on your DAC and, if so, safe to presume you tried that?
Well, what do you know?! Yup, a switch on the side. I wouldn't have even thought to look for a switch since I've never had one of these before.

Got it working with separate inputs?

Or, do you want to try to make it all work though the TV and single optical connection to the DAC?

If you want to try then disconnect the coaxial cable, switch to the optical input, and ensure the optical cable is connected between TV and DAC.

Reconnect DVD player to TV by the HDMI cable.

Check/change the settings in the TV per 1st paragraph of post 9.

Back
Top Bottom