KA-3500 vs KA-4006?

ChicagoTom

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a hankering to get myself a SMALL Kenwood integrated amp. I once owned a recapped KA-8300 and liked it very much, but those are far too big for use in my office space. So I have narrowed things down to the 3500 or the 4006.

Has anyone ever compared them? I like the clean, classic look of the 3500 a bit better than the 4006. But how do the amps and phono stages compare? I'd be using this mostly for listening to vinyl on headphones or small bookshelf speakers like my ADS L300s, Mission MS-50, EPI M50s, Canton GL-260s which I rotate in and out.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I have a KA-4006 hooked up to a set of Mission 70's and Nova 7B's which I rotate and it sounds great. Do not be fooled by the WPC on this amp.

Last edited:
KA-3500 was my first stereo amp ever. I chose it over the then available Pioneer's and Technics amps of similar power because it had a bigger more musical sound. I'm not familiar with the 4006, so I'm not much help. If you find a KA-3500 in good shape you won't go wrong as it is a very good sounding integrated.

Thanks swampirate and soundmig. I know both are great amps, and have plenty of power for my needs.

Specifically, I would like to know how they compare playing vinyl and how the headphone stages compare. I've heard the 3500 in person once and was stunned at how good it sounded to my ears with a pair of old British speakers.

I have a 3500 and 8300 and both sound fantanstic. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the phono or headphone stages. But with how great the 3500 sounds even compared to the 8300, I can't imagine it could be that bad.

KA-3500 and EPI M50s. Purchased mine, new, decades ago. Still in service today. For a long time, a Dual turntable was part of that rig as well. It would still be, if the turntable hadn't suffered an ignominious fate at the bottom of a flight of stairs. (It's not the fall; it's the sudden stop, at the end.)

I've heard the 4006 a few times, but haven't lived with one, to make a truly informed judgment. But it sounded good to me.

image.jpeg I do not listen to headphones so can't help you there. But with vinyl the soundstage is excellent. Very warm sound in my opinion. Here it is paired with a KT-7500.

Dangit, there was a recapped 3500 on the bay that I could have bought for $200 shipped, but I was too slow. I like the looks of the 3500 better, so I think I'll be patient and keep an eye out for a minty one at a good price. With a lot of luck, maybe I'll find one in a wood case.

There were a couple of KA-3500s at NEARC (www.nearc.net) for $75 each last Saturday. More than I'd care to spend on one.
Remember they were "entry level" of their time. They look nice, and they're not junk (don't get me wrong), but they are pretty down to earth.

313%20and%20it%20cooks by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
14817380803_ca9593c93c_o.jpg

I think the description of the 4006 as warm would mean the 3500 would be a cleaner sound as all the manufacturers got cleaner sound further into the transistor era. There is a lower powered KA, the 3700 that came out while the 3500 was current (based on HFE's years info in their library). 20 wpc so the 3500 wasn't bottom of the line at that time. We did sell a lot of the 3500s. Good small amps.

The phono stage on the KA-3500 is very good. Phono was everyone's main HQ source back then so the manufacturers put a lot into making very good phono stages. The Kenwoods from that era had really good phono stages (for high output cartridges). I used a Shure cartridge with mine mostly and also a stanton or two and they all sounded great through the little 3500.

Back
Top Bottom