Altec 604-8H-III (GPA) & McIntosh DREAM system!

I bought a pair of factory 620 cabs that could use a refinish job few years ago for 75 bucks. My daughter had a party last summer and damaged my system, this was the inspiration to sell off my old and buy some 604 8k drivers. I am bi-amping them and haven't found the right amplification mix yet. The sound is good but I can't wait to see how the Yamaha PC2002m I have coming controls these woofers.

wow thats not cheap, to be honest i dont even have 25$ now to pay xD (guess what is the reason)

If you've got the $25...it's well worth it.

GLWS on the speakers, would love to hear them. I've never heard a full range driver system or an Altec system. I'd imagine them to be pretty smooth and clear. Definitely don't have $5k for speakers right now though. Now everyone feel sorry for me as I listen to my Quads.

If you want to try something new, you should really invest in room treatments. That barren room is definitely a bottleneck. I know guys who were like yourself who liked to always try different things - they bought new stuff, tried it for a few months, then got bored of it. I convinced one guy to try room treatments and he's stuck with the same gear now for over a year.

Something to consider. You may be giving up something really special here and not considering a fundamental change that could reignite your excitement with your system.

Try bi-amping. Use that Mac amp to drive the Low Freq and a single ended tube amp fot the High Freq. You can get a ready to play Magnavox 8600 series SEP amp for under $200 and an active crossover in the same price range. With some room treatments I promise you will not be bored.

Good luck with your next system. I like to try new things also, but on a much more modest level. Keep us updated on your next move and keep having fun.

Bryan

Back
Top Bottom