Gary Indiana
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Hello Michael,
    I'm glad you could fix your tray. Regarding the clamp, it's the first time I hear about someone replacing it as a supposed "upgrade" or "mod", unless the factory one was defectively designed and causing trouble in some way. Clamps are maintenance-free and last as long as the CD player itself, so the rule "if it ain't broke - don't fix it" would apply to clamps especially ;)

You did not specify the problem you are having with it now. Assuming that you need to replace the padding on it, I'd suggest that felt is always safe material. Rubber based material may deteriorate. Self adhesive sheets of felt are sold at Hobby Lobby. If you need to cut it to shape by hand, keep in mind that a perfectly round shape will help avoid spinning vibrations. Also, you'll need a grip on the CD and enough clearance for the clamp to prevent it from rubbing its housing when in motion.

Gary
    I took your advice and located the switch and gave it a quick shot. It has worked properly every time since! Great call and thanks for saving the repair costs as well as shipping risks. Since you are on a roll, the last minor issue I have is related to one of the mods this player had done in the past. The seller referred to the stock clamp having been replaced by a Simply Physics Iso Drive clamp which appears to be a plastic disc shaped like a cd that is placed on top of the cd when loading. Have you ever heard of one of these? If so, it appears that the disc had some sort of liner attached to the bottom surface which contacts the cd when placed on top. I was wondering what type of liner this was (felt, rubber?) as I would like to replace it. I searched for the clamp but have not been able to find any information on it. Any ideas,
    Michael
    I noticed you have some experience with older Philips cd players! I recently purchased a Philips CD-80 cd player off of Ebay. The seller claimed it worked perfectly but in reality the transport seems to have a problem in that when the open switch is pushed, the tray opens fully but then immediately moves to close. It does this several times but eventually settles out and waits for a cd to be loaded. This player sounds really nice so I would like to keep it going but I am unsure if parts and expertise still exist for a mid 80's cd player. Any idea what the problem might be and do you know if any technicians specialize in this older Philips player which still has a decent following?
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom