Big Tuna
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Media About

• Hey Charlie, I think I am just going to liquidate the Model Seven's. Let me know if you are interested in the drivers. I think I have someone interested in the cabinets here locally. Talk to your soon.
    Hi, Charlie. Re: Kenwood ls408a midrange - my address is: Andre Bard, 2358 Heron Street, Victoria BC V8R 5Z6, Canada. As to the crossovers - I'll get the 150 Watt ones fro Electronix.
    Thanks Charlie, I'll keep you posted on the progress. I was just looking at your old thread about sanding and staining your cabinets. They look great. As you saw, mine are a bit rough but I think they can be brought back to life.
    What's up Big Tuna? Ready to shuffle some speakers over there? I might have a buyer for my NS-1000'S, and I'll be listing my Infinity Kappa 9's soon too. It's just a little crowded over here.... so I gotta move some on to new homes.
    Hey Charlie. I hope I didn't offend you. Since you haven't replied, I figure the price I came up with didn't coincide with what you wished to spend. If you had a figure in mind, let me know. I just added up what I thought each piece was worth and threw it out there. If you are still interested, I'm sure we can figure it out. BTW, Richard So, emailed me back and indicated that he thought he coud repair the dead drivers. Price was reasonable. Let me know what you would like to do. Tim
    I am not going to restore the speakers. If you want the drivers & x-overs, I will sell them to you. Both 15's are good, 1 mid and 1 tweeter is good. The x-over in the one cab is working, I assume the other is ok too. I'm thinking $350 + shipping for all including the dead stuff. Let me know what you think.
    Hi Big Tuna
    My name is Tim. I hear you are the authority on the Kenwood Model 7. I have acquired a pair for free. THe cabs are a bit rough, no cloth grills, metal grills are dented. One super tweeter is missing the other doesn't work. Both 15's work and one of the tweets and mids don't work. Is it possible to restore these things? I hear you had some luck in doing so. Can these drivers be repaired? I haven't removed them yet to check continuity. I plan to do that this weekend. They are an imposing pair of speakers to be sure. I would hate to just toss them. Thanks for your help.
    Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the 600 compliment. There are not perfect, dent in the wood and one of the grill clothes has a small tear. Not sure if anyone could make exact replacement by scanning the pattern or not. Dont know much about that stuff.

Your 940's look great! I think there is an error on the frequency range listed for the 940's, I have seen specs saying they are the same as the hd-880 and others saying a better spec. A jump from 30 to 20 on the bass with the same size and same looking woofer makes me believe the specs are the same for both. What is your opinion? I think they are one of the nicest looking speakers ever made.

I still laugh how so many people on this site feel marantz speakers are pretty much a joke. They like the imperial line but bad mouth the hd and DS line and (like me) dont know anything about the m or xxx series. Thanks for all your help and information. My email is dgunner59@comcast.net
    Hey Big Tuna, looks like you did a great job on those hpm500.

I happened to pick up a pair last night. Didn't test them and they need a refoam but all other drivers are working including the ribbons

I have never done a refoam and bought the pair to learn on,
    from what I've read, treat the woofer like paper thin glass.

On this pair, like yours, there is a black trim piece (on the inner side of the cast metal) that covers the outer portion of the surround. Once I scraped the old surround away, there is only a 1/16" or so lip on the black piece.

It seems like I would need to remove it, is this the case?

Or does the new surround glue to that tiny lip (seems wrong).

Any advice would be great,

I have a pair of hpm100s and can't wait to compare the top end of these hpm 500. I still would love to get my hands on hpm150s or dss9 one day....
    Hi Charlie,
    Need your opinion, i am close to buying a set of the Marantz 600 series like you have. Do you think the 600 sounds better than the HD-880's? I would be buying these to replace one of my HD-880's but only if it is a better speaker. Thanks for you input and hope to hear your opinion soon. Thanks, Dennis.
    I came across your posts on Marantz speakers and have some questions if you dont mind. FYI i am a Marantz guy owning a 2270 Champagne front, 2275,2285B,2325 and 2385 all totally restored and 2 sets of Marantz HD-880's with Bose 901 in the mix.

I see you have the HD-880's (as do I) and also the model 600 focus field speakers. Which sounds better? I would like an update on your opinion. I am seriously considering trying to find a set if possible. Being they were the last in the designs by Ed May i would have to assume they were probably the pinnacle of Marantz speaker design. Amazing there is so little information about these speakers. Thank you Dennis
    Charlie, I pulled the old beater off of the shelf, and the the few knobs that are left are shot - sorry. It's amazing how some people treat their equipment. Anyway, although you probably already know this, there are many potential donors for these knobs: 2238, 2238B, 2252, 2252B, 2265, 2265B, 2285, 2285B, 2330, 2330B, 2385, and 2600 all use the same dual-concentric tone knobs as the 2500. Sorry I couldn't help you this time around, but I wish you good luck!
    Love your HD 770's I have 4 of them also they was a labor of love to restore but well worth it. I have mine on a 1300DC and they sound wonderfull
    I noticed that you have quite the collection of vintage speakers with some marantz included in there. I was wondering if you can tell me anything about the sound of the Marantz 7G speakers? Are they good at all? Worth the effort of cleaning up and putting new surrounds on?

I found a pair local to me that are cheap and I am considering picking them up but I can only find history relating to them and nothing subjective regarding sound quality.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Hi Charlie, Tahoe's a really nice place, and I hope you had some nice relaxing time with your mom! Thanks so much for thinking of me; I would absolutely love to have those manuals!!! I don't know if you still have the address you shipped the equipment too, but if not, I can drop you a pm.... let me know. Thanks so much!!!!

I just thought I'd let you know that the ct-f500 is doing well; I just changed the main belts, and I just have to change the auto-stop belt, and everything will be working again! As for the tx6500ii, it works flawlessly! The sa-7500ii I think still needs some deoxit, though, as the left channel cuts in and out when you jiggle/push on the volume/balance pots, but I think that should be fixed soon!!! I must thank you again for your bomb-proof packing and your as-described equipment. Hope you're doing well,

-John-
    Hi Big Tuna,

We moved to Seattle a while back, so even though we still have our house there, we're not in Incline much. Enjoy the summer, Tahoe is a great place to be!

NT
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom