Harvey/ Ga
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Not sure if you saw my thread, but I picked up a recapped Fisher 800C a couple weeks ago. Quite a receiver. Amazing headphone-output on that thing (which is great because I do a lot of headphone-listening). Right now it's hooked up to my 2-way alnico W60's. Been having a blast with this thing.
    ALL W90 versions have the sand-filled backs (all STOCK factory ones, that is). There's a pair of W90's that's been for sale on Ebay for months and months (the ones that look like the guy didn't bother to clean the dust off the tops), and one cabinet looks like it had a rear-panel replaced (the NON-vented side, I think), and it looks like just plywood and not a sand-filled one. Those sand-filled panels do A LOT. When you stand behind a pair of W90's while they're playing, you won't get that big pocket of bass behind them like with most speakers. The sand-filled panels do an amazing job of dampening and eliminating backwaves (or whatever they call that when you get a big pocket of bass behind your speakers). You hear nothing except the sound coming out the front. This means you don't have to worry about what's behind them, and you can put them right up close to the back wall. All of the sand-filled models are good for that..
    Hey there, Harvey... Good to hear from ya'... I'll have to split this into two messages since they only allow 1000 characters for each one.

Yeah, the ones I've seen online have all had those slotted vents on one side (except maybe one pair of Radio People W90's I saw quite a while ago that might not have had them). Mine DON'T have the rear-venting. Just the dual front ports and that's it. Mine also have all alnico drivers. No ceramic woofers or anything. Same goes for my W60's, which have the exact same kind of grillcloth. I opened up the woofer-enclosure on one of my W90's once, and those rear panels are heavy. You can feel the extra weight of the sand, which looks like it was added through an opening in the top edge (They pour it in through that hole and then seal it).
    Harvey, I am in Suwanne, GA and have two t class amps (lepai and dayton) as well as B&K brick d class amps that can run alone or as mono blocks. You are welcome to ring me up to bring any or all of them by to have a listen. You are welcome to call me at 678-907-5097. I am a bit of an audio alchemist in that I like try stuff and mix and match.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom