moejr
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Crossover sequence should be something like... Woofer to Mid 500hz then Mid to 3" tweeter at 3k and from tweeter to super tweeter at around 7k-9k. That would give each driver a good range to cover.
    no i switched to the dayton mids because it had a broader range. i still think its trying to do to much though. so ill try running the woofer higher and if it sounds alright ill fix the mids lower cross point to around 350hz and run the woofer at 500
    Are you still using the Pyle mids? I would move that crossover point up to 500 as I believe that drive is rated to go down only to 450 hz.
    oh i see i called it the low pass because i was telling you what the cross from the ss-1 im using were doing. i would indeed feel silly if i hooked the crossover up to only allow any speaker to have a 1000hz range.
    i misundersttod the question somehow. my woofer does 150hz and down at the moment. the mid covers 150 to 4000 hz and my tweets pick up at around 3000 hz. i still havnt finished breaking in the daytons as of yet but i do have far better defined nd mids a very nice sound from the tweets. the lows are not muddy at all but i am considering moving the lowpass up to 500hz as an experiment. i will likely use an inline filter on my amp to accomplish this.
    4000 hz and 3000 hz is very narrow.Your points should be more like woofer to mid at 600-900 hz and mid to tweeter at 4000 hz. If the mid is only doing 1000 hz of work kind of defeats the purpose of having it.
    the low pass should be 4000hz and the high pass should be 3000hz. its honestly a huge difference the highs are crisper and the mids well they exist and actually sound very nice. at high volumes for over an hour it does get fatiguing ( im guessing as the daytons get broke in it will melow or get worse). but at moderate levels say half volume and below its very nice to listen to.
    well after you told me the crossover point i did some thinking and it will still work just as well as before and strangely have the same crossover points basically. due to the fact that both tweets are 6 ohm and they are running into an 8 ohm cross it will boost the crossover point 50% so instead of 2000 it will be 3000hz. and i got my mid in 4ohm so it boosts its upper cross point to 4000 hz. i have hooked them up for limited run and they sound wonderful. i am now waiting on some foam baffles to create a separate enclosure for the mids. then i will be able to run them in an extended run. all in all if i could do it agian id probably go with a smaller mid first and them work up to a 6 inch to avoid any cutting but im pretty happy with the end result. they are a much better sounding speaker now and are not hard on the ears at extremely high volumes. to run these i have a yamaha m50 for the highs and a m60 for the lows using a yamaha cx600u pre. thanks for the help and encouragement
    i will find out what the speakers i got the cross overs from were so i can know what they are set at but they deffinately woke these speakers up.
    i have finally made some progress on the klh speakers. i first added a 100hz low pass to the woofer. this made the bass cleaner but after some listening time its just to low and ill likely change to a 350 or 500 hz low pass. i have also added a klipsch cross over from some speakers my brother had and while i was initally just going to play with them a lil and get something different i have decided that they are exactly what the doctor ordered. the were designed for 2 tweets and a full range 4" driver. i added them into one speaker and ran them side by side and the difference was huge. the unmod speaker was half as loud and had no detail in the midrange area. i have also just finished coating the inside of the enclosure with rubber approx 1/16 thick and then added some accoustic foam over it bonding the foam to the rubber with 3m spray glue.
    i will be changing the mids out to the previously mentioned daytons as the dont quite manage the range id like but now that i know what to expect
    Sounds like a good plan. I'll be waiting to see the finished product. Have you decided what crossover points you're going to use?
    actually i must have been high when i was checking things out. ill buy a 3 different crossovers meant for car audio to match my frequencies i want. 2 high pass crosses and a bandpass for my mids. this will give me what i want for control and as they have a wire wound area before my cap it should smooth things out considerably.
    It may not be a bad idea to build your own crossover. I don't think you need a separate amp for the woofers. These speakers are probably rated around 90 db 1W/1M. I would look at the stock crossover and try and build a better equivalent. I do think that with that 3" tweeter you could let that go higher and cross over to the super tweeter at about 8k.
    this is what im looking at based on what you said about the tweets crossover. Dayton Audio XO2W-3K 2-Way Speaker Crossover 3,000 Hz. using this and running the woofer off a seperate amp through my outlaw audio icbm-1. ill set the outlaw on one channel to cancel all frequencies over 120hz and then set the woofer channel to run full range or 40hz whichever sounds best when i test run. lol my living room is gonna be crowded with 2 sets of boston a100 and these klh speakers . but then again i dont plan on ruinning them all at the same time.
    i agree the tweeters seem to do an amazing job as foes the woofer. i may just run the mid off my outlaw bass controler it crosses at about 120 hz and build a simple cross for just the tweet so they dont try and take in anything that low. ill do some more investigating on mids before i make big changes. i enjoy these speakers alot. i think its because they are just so damn big that you just have to have them running lol
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom