soundmig
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Media About

• The next setting to adjust is the "Threshold". Threshold is the signal level at which the device begins to exert its compression effect. Adjust the Threshold until the compression effect is activating once the music signal is above "soft" and approaching a moderate level. Next you need to set the "ratio". Start with 3:1 (three to one) and go down and then up to see which setting it to your liking. … I've covered a lot of information so feel free to ask for more clarifications.
    A slightly higher quality option would be the DBX compressors. Stay away from the 266, but the 166 and 1066 are both decent sounding and not too expensive. If you want better, the Drawmer units are fantastic and the vintage Ashly units (CL-52?) are also very good sounding.

Once you have your compressor hooked up, you will need to run signal through it and adjust two or three adjustments (depending on the unit). The first is the input level (some don't have this). Adjust input until signal is indicated but not red lighting or clipping on loud portions. I'll continue on next message
    If you want to use compression on all of your sources, you will need a compressor (I'll get to that in a minute) and a way to hook it up between your line level signal (out of your pre-amp stage) and your amplifier. Some receivers have pre-amp out and power amp in (normally jumpered) that you can use. If you don't have that "access" on your receiver you can use the tape in and tape out. If you use tape in and tape out you have to engage the tape monitor button (tape loop) for it to be in circuit. This is the same way that you would typically hook-up an equalizer also.

So, provided that you have a way to hook up the compressor, you will need to acquire a compressor. They are usually called compressor/limiters. The least expensive one that I would recommend is the Alesis 3630. It is a decent sounding compressor that can usually be purchased used for around $75 - sometimes less.
    I saw your post about compression. I live down in the Springs and saw you're "local" so I figured a question to you about this would be okay.

Last night my son and I were playing around with different sources from my HTPC to my Sansui 7070 receiver. We usually use iTunes lossless format files. Sounds good.

BUT.... we then played a song using the VLC player and found an option for Compression. We enabled it and WOW what a difference. Now I don't know the first thing about this option, never used it before. So I guess my question is.... if I were to get something to hook up to the receiver, what would I be looking for? I'd like to use it for other audio sources (turntable, cassette, etc.).

Thanks in advance, and stay warm this week!!!

Rick
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom