catrafter
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Hiya Tom! Since it's been a long time since I contacted you I just thought I'd say hi and hope your year is going well so far. From the looks of the posts people have sent or written to you it looks like you will need at least 50 years to catch up on all the requests! It's nice to be loved! Best wishes to you, Tom.

Gary Stelter/Chicago
    PS- All those restores you did for me just keep on makin' beautiful sounds!
    Tom, thanks for the fast reply and glad you recalled who I was. You are correct in stating I need around 100 WPC. I've been mulling over a few different receivers in the 80 to 120 WPC range, but naturally I'd prefer Marantz if possible. I have an array of receivers and integrateds slaved, all going to the most appropriate sets of speakers and I'd love to eventually add 2 high wattage units to accommodate the 2 pair of JBL 4311's. The 1090 I got from you is hooked up to one pair of JBL's and is fine for now. My other pair of 4311's sit idle. LMK if and when you came across something worth getting. Thanks again Tom......and have a great day. Dave
    Howdy. I just joined AK and besides looking for turntable advice, I have a Model 22 that needs restoration. It starts out sounding like its great old self, then falls into pretty bad distortion after less than an hour. What say you? Also your recommendation for a dead Sherwood S8800, same vintage. Sweet tuner, amp section bad. Paul Bramsen in St. Paul
    Catrafter, I dont suppose I could employ you to source me up a rebuild kit for the Marantz 2325? I have difficulty ordering. I realize your time is valuable, and am most willing to compensate. Thank you for your consideration.
    Hi, Catrafter. You helped me out a couple years ago and I am hoping that you can do it again! I am having offset issues with my 2245. I cannot get the right channel lower than ~2.34V. Could the trimmer be bad? If so, what are good replacements for R762 and R763.

Thanks,
    James
    These are difficult to work on, everything is packed in there. They also have unobtainable dual filter capacitors which have to be replaced with 4 single types if they fail, there are several threads on this, I don't consider this a deal breaker, perhaps they are the source of the hum, perhaps not. These also have an unobtainable toroidal power transformer. If the unit powers up and plays, that should be OK. I would make sure it has the proper fuse in the rear panel to protect the transformer.

Tom
    I trust you are well today. I hope you don't mind the PM. I am going to check out a Marantz 2385. The seller is young handed down from father in law. He states a constant hum and dirty controls , from a smoking environment. Is this a deal breaker?Can you suggests a few critical things to look for that would prevent someone from buying it? I feel good about with the use of this forum finding most issues and resolving them. Certainly don't want to invest in a door stop. Thanks and have a great weekend
    Hi Catrafter, Relford here!! Just tried to find some information about a Marantz 4230 with a bad SV3 Diode on the Amp board. When I did the initial search for the diode (noted as an SV 3x on the schematic), I got a hit on a post that mentioned that you had previously located a replacement. Could you please enlighten me on where to find such replacement and any pertinent data to aid in my search??

Thanks, Ken
    Hoping you could help me with this. I had a "diy" moment and i thought i would remove the boards and clean them. I thought it would be a good idea to cut the wires thus leaving the color code attached to the appropiate interface on the board. Lets just say that wasnt the best idea. Any help would be much appreciated.

I have a 2226b. I need a picture or diagram that identifies what wire (color coded) connects to which board connection.

For example the white/red wire connects to j715 on main board.
    Hello. I am having some issue with my Marantz 2226b. While researching through posts at audiokarma.org (i am new to the site and im already in love) i saw that you had gave some advice to a member. Members speak highly of you and I was hoping to pick your brain. My member name is 4rshome....I have started a couple threads outlining my problems. If you find the time please take a look and let me know what you think. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.
    Hi All, Please contact me via PM or email, I rarely check visitor messages. Thanks, Tom
    Mr. Catrafter,I was recommended to you by another AK member to ask you about replacement trim pots for a 1090 Marantz.We have come to the conclusion that the existing pots are not functioning properly and that is causing the destruction of my outputs on the RH channel.I have searched the AK database, asked directly in the Marantz forum, searched the internet at Mouser, Digikey, B&D and other with no luck finding anything that I am comfortable with. Is this something you have replaced before and if you could help me, I would greatly appreciate it. The LH side has given zero problems and is exactly like it was from the factory. I have replaced the outputs 3 times on the RH side. Both times the unit worked beautifully for a month or so before the RH outputs failed.The last failure resulted in some burnt resistors, but I did not have the z bar installed during the initial startup after replacement of the Q722 and 724. Thank you for your time,Andrew Chapman
    I was recommended to you by fellow AKers for repairs to my Marantz. I have a 2270 that I have had for a while. It runs very nicely but I have a few lamps out and have felt for a number of years that it would really be nice to have the whole thing gone over. The Audiowright Shop in Columbus, Ohio checked it out when I first got it and gave it a going through but nothing was recapped or anything like that. I think he cleaned up switches and controls. I didn't know if you are still doing this kind of work and/or were interested. Hope to hear from you. Have a nice Christmas.
    Tom
    Hi Catrafter
    My name is mike I have had a marantz 3600 now for over 10 years,and I noticed unit need some help. Do you do or can you recomend someone to rebuild this fine unit.
    Thanks
    Mike
    Hey Tom,
    I have a 2330b that has an issue with the dual core power caps. Would you happen to have one or two caps that does not have issues?
    Thanks again for knowing two rear preamp plugs were missing on my 4400 & recent post on transistor checker from HF!
    Nice to have an expert on call!
    Hi Tom,
    I have the Marantz 2600 (lucky me) that looks and sounds great but my tech couldn't help me with the scope issues I am having. The brightness of the bulb doesn't look as bright as it could be and also i am not able to adjust trace to a single point like it instructs in manual. I have tried adjusting the controls on back for brightness but doesn't help. I've heard these bulbs rarely go bad and so maybe it could be in the circuit board that controls scope? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Ken
    Thanks for the Marantz protect relay part number. Put it in today, and now is working well, unburied a new problem, but the relay is working like a charm!
    Hi Catrafter...I have seen your name everywhere on this site! You come highly recommended in Marantz restoration. I have stumbled upon a 2275 that looks to be NOS. I am in agreement that with fellow AKrs that I should have this recapped and checked over. Is this something you would be interested in doing? I am on the other side of the earth (fort wayne, IN). :) Just let me know if you are and what your wait list is like..TIA
    Thank you catrafter, I purchased the vellum paper and it arrived this Saturday! Thank you for your help!!!
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom