Gang-Twanger
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Thanks for the information. I'm going to research replacement capacitors today. I was very reluctant to pry off the wood stops that prevent the mid/tweeter array from sliding out but my curiosity got to me. The 2 side stops were screwed in but the top and bottom stops were nailed in (4 nails each) and i had to pry them off with a hammer/flathead screwdriver. I will be replacing those nails with screws in case I need to get in there in the future. You also have to disconnect the leads going to each woofer for the array to slide out. Since I had opened it, I put a little bit of glue where the paper cones meet the felt on the 2 mids because it was sticking up in places.
    Greetings. I have acquired some radio people Wharfedale W90s. I haven't seen any like these however. They have three controls on the back, the third being a volume for bass. You can even turn the woofers of this way. Have you ever heard of that? Would you be willing to help me source some caps for these? I'm ready to start fixing them up. The cabinets and grill cloth are 100% mint so I really lucked out. Thanks for your help! ~Joel
    Hi, I picked up some home made cabinets that llok like they were a kit forWahfedale Linton or meltons.
    The 12 inch woofers have 1970 written in ink in the paper.
    I need to redo the crossovers but because they have gotten so hot the values can t be read.
    Have you any idea what to replace them with or how to better them? The photos can be seen on the thread at ... Thanks for your time
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=670561
    Hi,
    I found some 1970's Wharfedale 12 inch woofers with purple mylar tweeters in some well made cabinets. I guess kind of like the lintons or Melton wharfies.
    I know very little but will recap them myself. Problem is the caps or filter or ??? has scorched the wooden backing plate and they have lost their value writing. If you could look at the photo and let me know what I should order I would really appreciate it.
    . The thread with photos can be seen here. Thanks for your time, I know every wharfie comes to you.
    Hi,

I came across your thread from a few years ago about headphones being a literal pain with glasses. It seems like you're much more a speakers guy, but I was wondering if this still affects you and if you've managed to find any solutions if so.

Cheers!
    They moved in 5-6 years ago and immediately got to work on driving me and the family behind us out of here. Still don't know exactly why. I went to them a hundred times, asking "Is the music ever a problem?", you know, trying to work together with them and be a good neighbor, and each time, they were like, "No.. Absolutely-not.", and yet they were BOMBARDING me with noise, stomping on the floor, slamming the toilet seat, etc. Damaged my eardrums numerous times. So finally, as an absolute last resort, I had to go the legal route and report them, and they lost state funding because of it, so now it's all about the payback.
    Just set their house on fire :p, get insurance and do it haha :p.
    And, yeah we flew, a 2 hour flight almost. And check out the bucket subs PoultyGheist made, they suppose to go to 25 hertz! When are they getting evicted, and what is their problem with you anyway :p?
    Hey G-T, I read your message. I screwed up, and would appreciate if you could re-invite me to the DropBox folder. Glad you enjoyed Amos.
    Heya,

You still haven't fixed this inbox bug? Did you contact AK about it :p?
    I just came back from vacation to Croatia, I made my first "subwoofer" an open baffle 15" I had laying around, all I need is a crossover under 80 :p.

How have you been?
    Hey man!

I just thought you were playing Gran Turismo again haha.
    I bought a "new" set of speakers! DCM CX-27's, paid 90-100$ for them, they sound AWESOME! Look pretty decent, only the bottom is scratched, but I think I'll paint over a thin black layer sometime :). I'm going to hook them up today and test them against my Tannoy's, for sure the Tannoy's are leaving haha.

Can you see the links I Sent you? That are some nice looking Wharf's :).

Cheers! Let me know when you can send&receive PM's :p.
    Hey G-T, sure, go ahead with Paul's Boutique, I'll try a Lou Reed comp. Not sure about your message limits, maybe it takes a while to reset, or possibly you put them in a trash can that still needs to be emptied.
    a local seller has a wharfedale multi cabinet free. not sure but it looks like a 50s modelhttp://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploads/18/649192530_thumb_58b9381f5202d71c38e19ec72e96d860.jpg

go to canuckaudiomart.com and enter wharfedale in the search.
    can you tell what it is?
    no room but these are beauties
    Hi Derek,

I looked over the various woofers and they seem like a match. Thanks.

I have removed one lpad and was wondering if you were interested in images or markings info?
    Stamped into metal it shows;

85-0182
    CTS 6212
    50 the ohm symbol LP

Images at your request. the CTS is a logo. The top of the T covers the other two letters
    I cleaned the white powdery fluff off it with alcohol, but see no gaps for deoxit to the interior.

I know these are not available to buy new, and perhaps not even electric equivalents.
    I plan on immersing it in alcohol for a goodly soak, blast dry with pressurized air then spray deoxit D5 and test with ohm meter thru the range. If I see good progression in the ohm reading then some deoxit lube and reassemble. If not it means desoldering the external wire and bending the metal tabs up so it can be disassembled.
    Brent
    Hi Derek,

Recently purchased two woofers off ebay to have a matched pair in my one w90. As you may recall, one woofer was replaced with a super 12 rs dd ( a full range ) by previous owner .
    Anyhow, the two I got were damaged in shipment. One is ok, and they are dated the same year as the w90 (1962).
    However seller says they came from a w60
    My question to you, would they be the same quality as the w90 woofers.
    By my eye, they are identical. Cone, magnet, castings, wires, all same. I never did send away for those xray glasses, so I don't know if they are the same inside electricly. Ohms read close to others.
    Thanks
    Brent
    Hello, someone on my thread advised that I mssg you to see if you can help. I kinda got stuck with a bad pair of speakers and hoping I am able to figure this out.

I picked up a nice pair of Warfedale W60C speakers at a yardsale and when I got them home I found that the little wires in the tweeters were severed. All 4 wires. Like someone fingers swipped or used a cloth to clean them and broke off those wires on the front of the tweeters. My EE repair man said he is unable to fix them. But was able to clean out the pots ona crossovers very well getting them working and recapped using SOLENS caps.

Can you tell me where to go to find tweeters that will work? Or anyone have any? I need a matching pair. Right now I am $80 to buy the speakers and another $90 for the EE repair man fees plus the caps.

Also, does the w60d tweeters work? Fit the cabinet and use the same cap values?

Your help is so much appreciated! Thank you
    David
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom