marcmorin
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• You seem to be the guy for AR XB's
    I have a nice restored example with an Audio Technica At95e cartridge. I have been looking around for an upgrade and wanted to know if there were anything I should look out for or be aware of when deciding on a replacement.

Thanks
    Gabe
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    Replacing the AT 95E? If you like the AT house sound there's quite a few that will be upgrades. There are other styli that fit that cart that are a n improvement. the 120 is a big step up if looking to change the cart. Lots of styli options for that also. One of my carts is a Signet AM body with the ATN 152LP stylus. pretty impressive.
    Dear Mr Morin;

I just purchased a single motor Ar xa in working condition; while searching for information on my new turntable you name came up as the person to contact for senseable solutions,for keeping a 50 year old deck spinning properly.
    Thanks
    Pat
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    Hi Pat, I do a lot of work on them. easiest to go over questions or details
    via email

BaMorin@AOL.com

Marc
    Hey Marc,
    I replied to you on the thread about cartridges. I am still here I just don't post very much. I am still enjoying the Thorens. Your instructions have proved invaluable in keeping the table spinning smoothly. I hope all is well with you , shoot me a message if you get a chance.
    Steve
    hello Mr. Morin. I recently damaged the wiring in a tonearm on a Empire 698. I have been told the entire tonearm needs to be rewired. the seller i bought this turntable from sent me your name, and stated that he contacted you, and that you sounded interested in taking on this repair. Or, would you know of someone else that would be interested in repairing this item for me? thanks for your help in advance.
    Hi Marc, I just bought an early 2-motor XA (serial number 36237). The main motor isn't working - the wiring to it seems to be OK, and there is no obvious interference when I turn it by hand. I read in a post your reference to replacement motors (1.5W Haydon, 3W 80's Hurst, 3W 60's Hurst motor). Can you tell me where I might purchase your recommended replacement? Is there something else I should check?
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    Hi, with either motor you go with, you will need a pulley also. The haydon motor is getting scarce. A new Hurst motor I stock. in either NOS original 70-80s, and also new current production. The top plate will have to be drilled/tapped for them to mount. You will also have to reconfigure the power supply to them, as the original two motor table did not use a run capacitor. pretty simple process though.
    Hello Marc, Isn't you an email regarding AR tonearm mods. Not sure if you got it though?
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    Hi Joff, just found the email and responded to it. Sorry for the delay
    Marc
    Hello Marc, My name is Jon Palmer and I am close to getting a box which contains the parts for a complete AR XB. I have been looking for one of these after seeing your work. I was particularly drawn to the use of a plain bearing for the horizontal arm movement. I am in the UK which makes sending parts to the US very expensive. Any information or guidance you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
    All the best Jon
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    Hi, the horizontal bearing is a oiled sleeve the pivot post rides in. were you referring to the vertical bearings?

my email is BaMorin@AOL.com
    joff
    joff
    Thanks for the reply Marc. I have emailed you
    Marc, I sent you my XA tonearm a few months ago to get modified; had you install new bearings and wiring. I'm loving the results so far, but looking into the future, I'd really like to have the opportunity to use different cartridges other than what goes with the stock headshell. That said, is there any way that I could send it back to you and have you swap the stock tonearm tube? Thanks in advance for all your help!
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    Sure, shouldn't be a problem.
    GoHokies96
    GoHokies96
    Great! Mind sending me your email so we can talk that way? Also, I won't be able to ship anything until mid October. Turntable's at home and I'm in Virginia right now for school. Is that much of a wait okay?
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    Hi, email address is BaMorin@AOL.com. Mid October is fine
    It was the at least twice the thickness of the tonearm thrust plate. The spindle measures 2 and 3/8ths inches from ball to where it goes into the platter.
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    OK, you have an XB subplatter, as the XA measures 2 1/8th. The thrust plate you had in there is not "AR", somebody added that. Dunno why, could have been numerous reasons on their part. The thust plates I have are 0.060" nominal thickness. the original AR plates were 0.040"-ish
    That is the tall XB spindle thrust plate, right.
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    the only "tall" one I'm aware of is when they used an XA subplatter (for what ever reason, inventory?) in an XB table. that delrin spacer is 1/4" thickness. The difference in length of spindle between an XA and XB.
    Is that what your table needs? measure the length of your spindle from ball end to where it meets the bottom of the subplatter.
    Thanks for the quick response. How much for the platter and tonearm thrust bearings, and how do I pay you.
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    Hi, the thrust plates run $10 ea shipped 1st class envelope. To clean the spindle up you should email me for directions and the materials if needed. Paypal works for me as long as it's F/F.......and you send mailing address to email acct and not paypal acct.
    Hi Marc,
    I'm still needing my XB arm Marcmorinified, just waiting to have enough extra money. Just wondering if you sell or know anyone who sells XB platter thrust pads. I think I lost mine today, but will tear the basement apart if need be. Thanks for all that you do to keep these wonderful tables alive.
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    I have thrust bearings. I make them from acetyl delrin, which is a touch tougher than original. the spindle ball end should be refinished also.
    BaMorin@AOL.com
    Marc,
    AR xa table speed is inconsistent. Is this a motor problem? I would like to get it fixed. Hope you can help,
    -Kathie kscannon@hotmail.com
    Marc,

Just shot you an email the other day and today about my sending my arm out to you along with some questions about cartridge alignment once it comes back. If you could shoot me a message here on AK or an email to let me know you're getting my messages, I'd be very appreciative! You really have helped me out a lot and I can't wait to hear the difference on the tonearm when it comes back!

-Mike
    Hi Marc, I've just gotten an AR-XA but it doesnt have the little ball bearing in the tonearm well. I've seen you chime in on a number of threads about this, could we arrange for me to purchase one from you? Thanks, I've really valued all of your posts on these turntables and am looking forward to having mine run at its best.

If you prefer email, I am chief4corn@gmail.com,

Thanks!
    Hi Marc - I'm restoring/upgrading an AR XB currently and would like to send my arm in for your upgrades. Do you have time to chat or mail about the specifics? Larry Cookerman is building a polished walnut plinth as well as some other odds & ends and so I figured I might as well have the tonearm refurbished while it's down. Thank you

tsang.jeff@gmail.com
    626-825-7382
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom