GD70
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Morning Warner, I have two sets. I didn’t change any of the polarities. Kept the wiring as it came from AR.
    Glen, If I remember correctly, you had a pair of AR-3 speakers...correct? If so, did you do anything to the woofer polarity? Of course there is gobs of stupid on the internet. found one schematic that they reverse the polarity of the mid and tweeter (by reversing the woofer) polarity, but since the XO is simple 6db per octave.

Wayner
    Hello - I see you've restored some AR-12s. Do you have any advice - I have a pair and although everything seems to be working I am finding them bright to the point of being unpleasant. This is contrary to the descriptions of these speakers across the internet so something is up. I was wondering if you had any thoughts?
    Pat Bateman
    Pat Bateman
    Specifically:

1. Do you find yours bright? My understanding is that the AR12s were meant to be a bit more 'JBL' style.

2. One of the mids seems quite sticky. Pushing it (evenly) in and out it seems a little slow. This raises the spectre of dried out ferrofluid... did you ever attempt to replace, or do you know how hard it would be to do?

3. Are you aware of a drop in replacement for the mids?
    Pat Bateman
    Pat Bateman
    Any tips you might have would be greatly appreciated. These speakers were apparently made in such tiny numbers that there's barely any useful info on the web...
    Hi GD70, As I've seen you're an audiophile fan of KLH Model Sixes, want to let you know that I've listed an original, untouched pair from the initial series on USAudioMart, eBay, and FB Market place in the event that you would anyone on this forum who might be interested. I just don't have enough confidence to try to breach the cabinets to refine the cross-overs and caps, etc. I hope I can find a good home for them.
    GD70
    GD70
    Hey Barney! I’m not currently looking for another pair, but appreciate you reaching out to me. They are not hard to work on, just takes a little time. I think you should give it a shot. Plenty of threads with excellent info and pics. You can always reach out to me with questions if you decide to restore them as well. They are worth the effort. Cheers, Glenn
    Hi, a while back you posted a picture of a Yamaha T-1 tuner. What are your impressions of it? I have an opportunity to buy one, more or less sight unseen, but for about $20.

So I guess my big question is, do you consider this a 'worth-fixing' tuner in case it comes in and doesn't function? THANKS!
    GD70
    GD70
    It wasn’t me! Never owned that tuner, sorry!
    Hello Glenn GD70,
    I need to replace the foam around AR-11 tweeters and am finding the specs for the original material hard to come by. I'd prefer making my own (via laser cutter I'm thinking). I also see you make foam replacements and if you're keeping this information proprietary I'd understand and would be interested in purchasing a pair (black or gray). Thanks for any advise, Mark
    Hi Glenn,
    I am restoring some AR11's and saw a post where you were making new white ring foam for the tweeters. Are you still doing this? If so i am interested.
    Thanks, Tom
    Hi Glenn,
    I’m rebuilding some AR3as for my dad recapping, repotting and refinishing. I’m almost done except for the refinishing or so I thought. I was giving them one final listening, pretty loud but not anything they shouldn’t be able to take. Then the speaker (woofer)started rattling and now it can only be heard very faintly. Did I “blow”it?
    Yoho
    GD70
    GD70
    Hey yo-yo,
    Pull the woofer and listen to it. Does it still distort? With the power off, gently push the cone in, and see if you hear any rubbing or scratchy ness. It’s possible you over drove it. Also which woofer, cloth surround with the Alnico magnet, or later with foam surrounds. Also check if the spider has loosened. Either from the basket or cone.
    Reactions: yoho
    Hi Glenn, can you post me a link to an overall view or even a detailed one of Roy's modification for the ar2ax?
    I have met an engineer and I would have like to have him look it over and evaluate the pair that I have that appear to be modded after his plan. Thanks a lot! If you would like to email it you can do so to golfturfpro@gmail.com...
    Hi Glen. I had a question about posting a video. I want to post a video of my system but I am afraid of copyright. What do I need to do? Thanks
    GD70
    GD70
    Hey! Pray! YouTube will either block it or not, or maybe just in certain countries. One thing, don't name the video with the artists name. Most title their videos with the gear featured.
    Cheers, Glenn
    Hey Glen. We met at an AK meet a couple of years ago in Verona NJ if I remember correctly. Anyhow, I’m interested in coming to the May meet. How do I pay you or can I bring cash the day of? I feel like it’s been said but I don’t recall. Also, I’d like to bring some toys along. I had the Sony APM speakers.

Thanks,
    Rich

(973) 477-9012 cell
    GD70
    GD70
    Hi Rich!
    Great to hear from you!
    I remember your system, and your Sony's were impressive.
    We have plenty of room, so definitely bring a system to demo. I think we had 11 demo systems
    You can pay vie Paypal, or cash at the door, which ever is best for you.

My PP is gddavis@optonline.net

Cheers, Glenn
    In looking at the pictures of the foam grilles I supplied you for your L200s, it looks like the edge flanges of the grilles should be a little wider to cover the gaps on the sides I see. Would you agree? If so what is the total INSIDE width of the cabs? Should the screen frames be wider also?
    GD70
    GD70
    The original frames fit like a glove. 1/8 inch gap all sides which to allow using a paint can opener or similar to fit and pull the grill frames out. The foam grills match the metal frames perfectly. There is a 1/4 inch gap on the sides because of the cab extended sides. If the originals completely filled the fronts than they would need to be 1/4 inch wider each side.
    Glenn
    Hello. I've read through the threads here and just had a quick question regarding recapping some KLH sixes I just picked up. I understand all the electronics side of things . My questions is; do I need to put anything between the woofer frame and baffle before screwing the woofer back in? I did buy some of the sealent from vintage AR but couldn't find anything definitive about re attaching the woofer.
    GD70
    GD70
    Hey kinsmen!
    I've always used the original gasket unless it was damaged. You can also use air duct sealing putty, from Home Depot, or similar. Roll a thin string and place it on the baffle, then mount the woofer and you should be good. Just make sure the sealer is completely sealing the circumference.
    Glenn
    kinsmen21
    kinsmen21
    Thank you sir! Listening now and they already sound amazing. Can't wait for the recap/reseal
    Reactions: GD70
    Hiya Glenn, Haven't spoken in a while, the reason I'm writing is I have an opportunity to land some LST-2's for a decent price and wanted to know your opinion on them after having them a while. Better than AR-3A's? Do they play well on the floor or better on stands? etc..
    Thanks Dan
    GD70
    GD70
    Hi Dan!
    They are somewhat rare, and do sound great. Very dimensional, life like, plenty of bass.
    Audition if possible. Make sure all the drivers are working. Check the woofer surrounds. If original, they will need new Boston Filled Fillet style surrounds. The crossovers should Be fine.
    Mine are not in an ideal position, but are raised about 3 inches.

Glenn
    Hello Glenn, I just joined this group and looking for some specific information I see you are a real guru. I just purchased a pair of KLH Model 6 and a pair of Advent Large with the red/orange fried egg tweeters. Let me know if you are willing to help out a novice and I will provide my specifics. Thanks! -Steve
    GD70
    GD70
    Hello Steve!
    Ask away! I'm more familiar with KLHs than Advents, but do know a bit about them.
    Both are very nice speakers, the Sixs far more iconic. One of the best vintage two ways ever made.
    Cheers, Glenn
    Steve2536
    Steve2536
    Fantastic. I'll start with the KLH 6s. They are second generation with the screw in speakers and a medium color veneer finish. One of cabs is pretty scratched up especially on top.
    Steve2536
    Steve2536
    1. Best method/product to take care of the issues/scratches with the cabinets. 2. The original grill covers have some staining and would like to improve their appearance. 3 Based on the age replacing capacitors should be in order? If so where to go for products needed and instructions. 4. Not sure if the speaker cone needs anything like "re-doping"? Thanks!
    jororaitchev Hello,
    a few weeks ago I made my group in the" face", if you have a record time and desire, please visit her!
    Greetings!
    Joro
    P.S.
    This group is for duers only and has no commercial purpose. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1046794425475324/ Jorros DIY -Audio
    GD70
    GD70
    God I'm bad! Somehow I missed this, and just joined your FB group. Sleepy for the very late response!
    Cheers, Glenn
    Hey Glenn, I sold the Maggie's for $100.00 more than what i paid for them. TRULY didn't want to but I took in a third roommate and he needed more space that they were taking. But, I just got home from picking up a pair of ADS L-730's from the second owner. Very nice condition. I want to stack my L-630's on them, but i'm not sure how to wire them in a series? Will
    GD70
    GD70
    Hi Will!
    Thanks for the Father’s Day greeting!
    Sounds like a nice setup. I would wire them in series. Much easier on the amp. Too bad you had to sell
    The Maggie’s. I have to say, I love the SMGs.
    Let me know how the stacked ADSs sound. Also keep in mind when stacking to keep the tweeters together, so the top speakers are upside down.
    Cheers, Glenn
    Do you have an ADS 910 tri-amp card? If so, can you let me know what it looks like and what the cap and resistor values are? I want to make a pair. Thanks!
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom