marcmorin
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Yesterday I was turned on to a rather ratty looking AR XA. I'm quite sure I paid a bit too much for it ($250) given its condition, but when I got home and set it up with Marantz 2215B receiver and an old pair of Boston Acoustic CR7 speakers my life was changed.

Do these XA TTs actually have a soul? I'm already thinking about buying another ... Am I going nuts? Should I continue down this rabbit hole?
    Hi Marc. You have always been so helpful. May I ask you if the M1+ is a nude diamond on the Grado cartridge? Best, Jeff
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    the original M1+ stone was nude twin-tip replacements that are offered now would be the Gold-3 bonded diamond
    Hi,

AR XB off Craigslist a week ago. Told just needed a belt.
    TT powered up, spindle that turns the belt spun w/power. Get belt, install it, nothing. Motor humming but wont spin the platter. When I spin the platter manually the belt creeps out of the 33 and into the 45 groove.
    R
    Richard K
    Ran out of characters. Good morning and thank you in advance for any assistance. You are a God around here, i'm grateful!

Thanks!
    Marc, How are you doing? I hope your cure is working and you are feeling better!
    Reactions: ambo72
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    I have no cure that's working, hanging on as long as I can, but this is terminal. thanks for writing and asking

Marc
    Grbluen
    Grbluen
    Thinking about you, Marc!
    Know that you are in my prayers!
    Marc - do you have or know where I could acquire a blank armboard for a Thorens 125? Dave at Vinyl Nirvana has them pre drilled for SME and 9-inch Jelco arms - I'm looking to mount a 10-inch Jelco, the 750e. Thanks for any help - Dave
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    Hi, I have no information about any thorens parts.
    davelarz
    davelarz
    Okay thanks Marc
    Marc, I was also wondering what you suggested being used to clean & polish the platter and tone arm? Do you by chance sell or know where I might purchase a spring replacement kit for my AR XA Turntable? Is there anything that you would suggest that I do while the turntable is apart for cleaning and lubricating? I've replaced the belt and going to talc it & replaced the platter mat. Thank you, Don Crawford
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    Hi, all these questions are easier for me to go over via email.
    BaMorin@AOL.com
    Marc, I hope this e-mail finds you feeling well. Thank you for your recommendations on the weight and type of oil for the tone arm well and the platter spindle well. How many eye dropper drops of oil do you recommend for each? What about the belt drive well? Again, thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge and years of experience, Thank you, Don Crawford/Captain Crawfish
    Hey, Marc, I was told that you are the resident AR expert!

I have an "AR The Turntable" that I'm thinking about mounting my Rega RB250 on.

The arm has an upgraded stainless stub and titanium counterweight. I also am awaiting spacer shims for it.

The only armboard that I could find is a Rega to AR for about $140.

Would this be a good upgrade option?

Thanks in advance!

Joyce
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    Hi, the price of the armboard is high to me........but i'm not working at the moment, or I could have offered something better, cheaper.
    easiest to reach me via email about advice, etc about your table. The arm should be fine
    BaMorin@AOL.com

Marc
    Is the grid in pdf format or jpeg?
    I really appreciate it
    Randy
    My email is Dreamster66@yahoo.com
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    The grid is the actual grid that came with my PS-X7 table
    I can mail it to you provided you live in the lower 48. I also have a 8MX stylus with very little use if you're interested in that instead of the 8MZ stylus.

BaMorin@AOL.com

marc
    Randy66
    Randy66
    Nice!
    I'll email you my info...let me know the price and if you PayPal.
    I appreciate it
    Hi Marc, I have a The AR Turntable which currently has several upgrades. I have intended to add additional upgrades over the years, but have yet to do so
    Looking for advice and possibly work done. Would it be okay if I contact you at the email listed below? Thanks, Brian
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    Hi Brian, at the moment i have suspended all work on turntables. I'm not sure when or if I will resume work
    B
    Brian81
    Thanks for the quick response. Since you have suspended work, by any chance would you still be open to providing recommendations on an upgrade path I could pursue via email if I were to send a description of my turntable and some ideas I have had floating around in my mind? Thanks, Brian
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    HI, I may be able to assist for a short period of time. BaMorin@AOL.com
    Hello Marc.

I have a AR XA Turntable. It was purchased by my Father in 1963 -1964.

The turntable does not spin freely. It seems to jam in the deep bearing hole . Looks like it is a soft babit bearing hole. I have tried cleaning out the bearing hole with alcohol and removed allot of dirt. but the table still turns way too tight and will not turn freely.

any help would be appreciated.

George
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    Hi, this sounds like the two motor table, with the bolt-in delrin bearing wells. nothing can be done with those. the subchassis needs replaced with a later model cast type, and the arm needs upgraded to the later type also.
    G
    GeorgeAR
    marc - yes it appears to be a 2 motor version with the Delrin bearings - how much would it cost to covert it as you describe..?
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    not sure, you'd have to find a subchassis, and arm. I have no extras in inventory due to this issue.
    That would be awesome! Let me know where to send the funds and how much...
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    won't know until i put it in the mail..........take this to email please
    Jon S
    Jon S
    is it safe to post my email address here? If not how...
    Jon S
    Jon S
    jon96789@gmail.com
    Hi... It is the thread-in one... Thanks.
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    I have one. I can send it to you for the price of postage.
    BaMorin@AOL.com
    Jon S
    Jon S
    That would be awesome! Let me know where to send the funds and how much...
    Hello Marc, i have a Q for you as you seem to know a lot on Grado, I like the old early '80 A LOT! I now am playing with a F-3+ and prefer it over a Gold. I want to change the stylus to a 8mz. But i am seeing some complete NOS F-1+ carts online for sale. I know that there is a very fine nude tip on those but the suspension is 40 years old. The 8mz is bonded but the cantilever seems newer. Can you give your opinion?
    Hello Marc... I am looking at an AR XA deck for purchase and was thinking of having it shipped to you for some basic upgrades / fixing up before receiving it. What is the best way to get in contact with you to discuss your recommendations and approx price ranges for the different options (and of course the address to ship the deck to)? Thanks and best! Charles
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    Hi, this would be easier via PM, or email. BaMorin@AOL.com. I can't take any work until after 1-10-19
    L
    linnhead
    Understood on the calendar schedule, that's no problem. Thanks, I'll shoot an email over. Cheers and best!
    Hi Marc
    I keep reading about your wonderful AR XA upgrade kits but can’t find any other info about them. I’m in the process of restoring my old AR XA that I bought used in 1975. Would like to know more about the sapphire bearings, etc.
    Thanks
    Eric in Kalamazoo
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    Hi Eric, it's easiest to contact me via email. BaMorin@AOL.com

Marc
    Good morning. I write from Italy. I own an AR The Legend since 1984; now there is a noise from the engine, and assistance tells me it should be replaced. Where can I find one?
    Thank you, and sorry for my bad english writing!
    Ettore
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    bet all it needs is oiled. add a drop where the pulley shaft exits the motor, let it run, belt off, add additional drops every hour or so. it should quiet down. Pretty simple motor to work on. Your english is better than my Italian
    T
    Turu
    Thanks, but: to add a drop where the pulley shaft exits the motor, will I have to separate the pulley shaft from the motor and/or to unscrew the whole motor?
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    No, you won't have to remove the pulley. just the belt. use a syringe or a pipette to add a drop or two to the top motor bushing, and let it run. add a drop every hour or so. It will eventually seep down the shaft and into the main sleeve of the motor.
    Hey marc,
    I was hoping to have a chat about modding my ar77xb. I sent you an email to your email address listed in posts below.
    Im thinking of getting my tonearm modded, but curious of costs involved.
    Thanks
    Chris
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    Hi, rebuilding the arm in it's current configuration runs $115.00 for rewire, internally damp tube, rebuild pivot assembly with sapphire jewels and micro polished pins. Shipping from the US to Australia is quite expensive.
    P
    perth_artist
    Is this something I could undertake with help, I could possible buy the necessary parts from you if needed ?
    marcmorin
    marcmorin
    Hi, take this to PM, not enough room to type a response here
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom