• You can find the SME rider weight on U.K. Ebay. They are
    always selling these weights on there. By not using the
    weight the arm in not in balance. There is way too much
    force on the left knife edge pivot. The rider weight
    puts equal pressure on both knife edge pivots. Slide
    the weight out according to the combined weight of
    the cartridge & mounting hardware. There is a small
    spring and black plastic piece that goes inside the
    rider weight to hold it into place on the wayrod.
    Regards.
    Steve......
    I still have my Sovteks which it came with. Strictly backup. The SE40 is exceptionally detailed for a 6l6 topology and that's why people love it. At AKFest, Grant Fidleity had a similar looking amp which used the same tubes. I didn't hear it, but it looked to me like they were trying to recreate the SE40. Perhaps you could check them out?
    Let me know how it goes. Please start a thread with some pics once you're done. There's not enough GTA love on this site. You're gonna be floored by the sound.
    I am using Winged SEP C's. They are wonderful and true workhorses for daily listening. I don't want to ruin your vibe, but I was warned to avoid the Tung Sol 5881 due to biasing issues. Since the SE40 is a true PITA to bias, AND some 5881's don't spec well in terms of this amp. Anyhow, as much as I wanted to try some, I have avoided them. It will be a while until I need to roll at this point. 30 min. warm up and I'm in audio heaven right now...
    I recapped mine with a combo of Orange Drop and Wima. Join the Yahoo Golden Tube group and chat with them. Mike Samra is a HUGE base of knowledge.
    Indeed my SE40 is a fine machine. I hope to get another and go dual mono. The SE40 is mono capable with a simple adjustment.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom