Search results

1. peet_pete

Risk of buying older, unopened universal disc player?

Search didn't help me here, and Google...forget about it. All ads and things I didn't search for. So what is the risk of buying older (10-20 years old) disc player listed as unopened? I don't think caps would be an issue in this time frame? However, I think maybe the lube in the drawer...
  2. peet_pete

Dual 1264 remove from base?

Dual 1264: I flipped all the transport screws to the side per vinyl engine, and they don't seem to be releasing. https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=26556 I am trying to access the RCA connections per my new kit. I don't find any specific directions for this one. I...
  3. peet_pete

JSE Infinite Slope...anyone have a source for specifications?

I was just curious if my search skills missed something, as I can only find specs in a very old review of the Model 1. Bass didn't seem that impressive on paper. That is fine, because I am more intrigued by the larger ones. But I can't find any source for a sales list, brochure, or anything...
  4. peet_pete

Another title disappears, but this was a list...then what?

I had a routinely played compilation that was actually a digitally released record (comp) by an EU label, and it is no longer available on Qobuz. My question is, what happens if the source supplying the music goes out of business? Are all those files then lost? How can they be lost if they are...
  5. peet_pete

2024 Florida Audio Expo Feb 16th-18th Tampa FL

Is anyone else going this year? I see that this one doesn't get that much exposure, but I'm going down to meet up with a friend on Friday and Saturday. It seems smaller in scale than Axpona but my friend hasn't been to a show before, so it should be interesting for him...
  6. peet_pete

SACD Player pausing: is there a way now to get SACD to DAC?

The summary question is: if my amp/dac doesn't have HDMI and only does DSD at USB, is looking for an inexpensive way to get DSD from a Blu-Ray player pointless? I have an old Sony SCD-CE595 that has started to skip and pause. There are no replacement optical drives available that I can find. I...
  7. peet_pete

Do other streaming services offer filter or block artist feature?

There are some artists that I just don't care about especially as they come up on the front page where they will stay for a month. I want them to go away. I am very used to blocking stuff in youtube I guess, actually I spend too much time, like swatting flies but ... I don't find this in qobuz...
  8. peet_pete

Switched internet providers and now this site runs slow?

Maybe I missed a memo but was noticing this.... So I went to a wireless internet at home provider because it was a better rate than my previous and it tested well. Download tests are higher than the cable co. But when I click on things even a Like button, there is a 3-4 second delay before it...
  9. peet_pete

Looks like Luxman capacitors leaking? Couple of questions

It looks like there are two leaky caps on my Luxman integrated. I had not powered it on in a very long time but decided to check out the board since I was thinking about selling it. If this is really a leak: 1) would someone ever sell electronics with that being stipulated and I assume taking a...
  10. peet_pete

Qobuz favorites delisted go to 404 error...however....

So I logged in and went to some really old favorites and noticed the old "no longer available" is replaced with 404 not found message, which means that they no longer even track that they ever offered it for listening. This is weird. And only have maybe 100 favorites. But I went to 2 more...
  11. peet_pete

So all cd players sound the same?...very nice comparison video series

This is part 1 which might be a little dry for many but p2 picks it up and I could spoil the ending and it will come down to....[SPOILERS] ......The DAC. In this series, with some younger ears than I possess, the transport seems to have nothing to do with the preferred player and they also did...
  12. peet_pete

Do you consider resale value when purchasing new or used speakers?

I was just curious if it is a factor in anyone's buying or collecting philosophy. I normally buy used but occasionally I find some speaker that is a newer model and think that I should go with that one. But then I look historically at resale and some definitely do not hold up, especially it...
  13. peet_pete

Vintage gear is making me paranoid...recap speaker crossovers?

So I watched a video that mentioned electrolytic capacitors drying out and I think I looked into it before and found some posts where people said they recapped my specific speakers but I can't find anything now on it. The video basically said at 15 years it is almost mandatory. Mine are...
  14. peet_pete

Is driving to another state for heavy speakers or amps ever worth it?

So I look at ads occasionally and sometimes the seller wants local pick-up or prefers it and with the way shipping goes these days I think, well maybe I could drive there. But I don't have pickup or a truck so I'd need to rent something and drive but that could be expensive unless I just got a...
  15. peet_pete

Received new Hifiman headphones...after 1 hour listening...some questions

Concerns and questions, going from Sennheiser HD595 ($190 in 2006) to Hifiman Edition XS (stealth magnet) $399 B-stock. So I purchased some new cans after many years with my old ones. This is for pc use running through an external usb pro dac, not amplified. I listened just now for about an...
  16. peet_pete

Suggest some good non-English language music

So it could be the top of the charts in Turkey or wherever you like as long as you feel it is a good recording, new or old. I have several (maybe 150) recordings in languages foreign to myself but I was curious to find some that were central to a culture/language that should be heard that I...
  17. peet_pete

New Cartridge Suggestion for JVC QLY5?

Hey guys, I wondered if there were any opinions on the following MM cartridges for my new to me and soon on the way JVC QLY5 (not the F version but it has auto-lift.) The cart will be installed by the seller. I do not have MC setup so have considered the following. Ortofon 2M Bronze...
  18. peet_pete

What is a good way to figure out if repair is worth it? Amplifier issue...

So I was having an issue with distortion in right channel on my integrated amplifier that is only from 2016, that I acquired used from the gon at a decent price. It was told to me today that most likely the whole board with the outputs would need to be replaced but they would let me know. It...
  19. peet_pete

Short distortion in right tweeter on first play of day?

So the other day I noticed a very short distortion through the right speaker. It was not very loud and lasted maybe two seconds right when the music started. I let the track play a few more seconds, stopped and restarted the cd and there was no issue. A few days later (have not been using...
  20. peet_pete

LP represses (Impex)...and stores taking backorders

I don't normally order these type of recordings but ordered a couple and one went to backorder a month ago. Now it is clear from scouring the internet that there are just not many around and only a couple show up even on discogs for some titles. So my question is, does the retailer know more...
  21. peet_pete

Curious on longevity of filters for diy ultrasonic? Mine failed

So last batch of cleaning I noticed a couple records seemed to have a bit of noise. These were new records and had a bit of warp but the occasional crackle or pop was not normal in my experience after ultrasonic. Today I went back to my bottles of filtered distilled water solution (touch of...
  22. peet_pete

Wow, just ruined a brand new record

So waited a month for a record to arrive from EU, had it sitting for a week and then decided after opening that I should remove the small rim of excess vinyl in the hole, whatever you might call that, with a large Stanley razor knife. However, this completely sliced through into Side B tracks...
  23. peet_pete

So back to hum...is a little ok?...rca connector replacement Dual 1264

I replaced both my rca connectors on my Dual 1264 that I had previously posted was successful on the right channel (eliminating weird spikes of distortion) and then the other channel was acting up, so I replaced that too. Now I plugged it back in the other day and I notice there is still a...
  24. peet_pete

Now my new tt has hum...inconsistent

Hello, I have a Dual 1264 for a few months that was labelled as reconditioned and recapped from seller. Now the table works fine for the most part but sometimes - like today - I turn my amplifier on and there is a hum that comes out of the speakers, that I usually fix by pushing slightly on the...
  25. peet_pete

New Dual tt already broken? Distortion

I bought a re-capped Dual 1264 with a new belt a few weeks ago for a good price. After about 40 lp sides, there is distortion in both channels. It seems to be more apparent during louder orchestral type music. Previously this would only happen if the stylus got too much fuzz on it. This was...
Back
Top Bottom