Search results

1. sol7

The Smaller Advent Refoam Fiasco

Well, I was able to recover so maybe not a fiasco. Picked up some Smaller Advents a while ago and finally got around to replacing the foam. Got them cleaned and prepped while I waited for delivery. Foams arrived and now it was time to finally get these things fixed. Did the first woofer, using...
  2. sol7

Quad ESL 63 speakers

I picked up a pair of these sometime back. Well, 10yrs ago to be exactish. Can't believe it's been that long. Anyways, there was a crackling noise in one of them and the other seemed to work ok. Thought about rebuilding them myself, but didn't feel like tackling that project. So, they sat hiding...
  3. sol7

Carver TFM-45 Idle Current Adjustment

How do you measure the idle current in this beast? The manual says you should read 2.5mv across the two emitters resistors. Are you supposed to measure across each one separately or across both at the same time and if so, how? I've tried every combo and I get zero reading on my DMM. I'm at a...
  4. sol7

"Rattling" Capacitor?

I replaced a couple capacitors in one of my amps and when I was handling the removed caps, something felt loose. When I shook it, the guts would move around. Is that normal on some caps? I'm thinking they have dried out and shrunk. They measure "good" on my tester, but it doesn't measure ESR.
  5. sol7

MC275 - New Cans or Stuff The Old?

I'm hoping to start working on my MC275 sometime soon. I've seen the new cans being sold on Ebay and thought about getting them, but is it worth it? I can restuff all 4 original cans for less than the cost of just one of those new cans. Is there any reason, other than convenience, for going with...
  6. sol7

What a pleasant surprise...

This weekend I stayed home trying to get stuff done around the house. I was trying to clean one of the rooms and found a bag with tissue wrapped stuff. Uh, what's in here? I started unwrapping and much to my surprise, it was a bag of tubes. I remember picking these up at a flea market a couple...
  7. sol7

Using 230v Variac on 120V?

I have a Powerstat Variac rated for 230v. Is there any reason I can't use it for 120v? Thanks
  8. sol7

Killer Computer Cases

I don't know about you, but I think these are super cool. Who said you can't have your computer and be stylish at the same time.... http://slipperyskip.com/page23.html
  9. sol7

Pleasure dealing with Rex Runner

Got a great deal on some switches and some bonus items (repurposed packing material) It was a pleasure doing business him.
  10. sol7

My Garage Sale Find

So, I went to a garage sale a couple weeks ago. Didn't see anything special there, but there were some tapes and LPs. I asked the lady at the register if they had any old stereo gear they wanted to get rid of. She said there was some stuff and called her husband over to talk about it. He said...
  11. sol7

University Speaker Find

Apparently, University speakers live in dusty old barns and garages. At least the ones I find do. Went to an estate sale the other day. Looking around and not finding anything to get excited about. Made my way to second floor in the garage. Not seeing much up there. Then I notice a console...
  12. sol7

JBL Speaker ID

I saw these today. They are obviously PA/sound reinforcement speakers. Are they HI-FI worthy? The mid/woofer is enclosed, so model # unknown. Thanks
  13. sol7

Dead Channel Soundcraftsmen DX4200

Need help with this creature. Picked it up a couple months ago. Tried it out when I got it home and the right channel is dead. I found a thread on some other site that gave a troubleshooting list and from that it, it was supposed to be a bad IC. I ordered some replacements and they did nothing...
  14. sol7

I must be crazy...

I went to an estate sale the other day and had a momentary lapse of reason. Two truck loads with one more to go.....:crazy: I do get the shelving though, so that's a plus....right?
  15. sol7

Monster Cable Closing it's Doors?

Anybody here anything about Monster Cable going out of business? I was going to renew my effort to get some green speaker cable replaced and was trying to find a number to call. I came across a review where someone went to their headquarters to try and resolve their warranty issue and stuff was...
  16. sol7

Another Record Cleaning Method

Entertaining and productive at the same time....
  17. sol7

What Turntable Does This Cart Fit?

Usually, everyone wants to know what cart to get for their turntable. Not me. I want to know that turntable to get that fits this cartridge. It's a Stanton and was more than likely a dealer display model. Any idea's on a good matching table?? :biggrin:
  18. sol7

What Is This.....

How does this happen?? It looks like corroded steel.
  19. sol7

This Wire For Interconnects?

I've got spools of wire coming out my 7th planet from the sun... So, I thought I'd make a pair of interconnects with this wire. Twisted 3 wire 22awg (maybe 24awg). Not sure if it's tinned or silver plated. I want to say it's MIL spec wire, but the label side of the spool is rusted and no longer...
  20. sol7

Subterranean Subwoofer...

Who would have thought. I wonder if I can use them to keep the annoying critters away.... Link
  21. sol7

Yamaha And Their Crap Switches

What's up with Yamaha and tactile switches? They were bad in a TT I got and I have bad ones in a tuner I picked up a while ago. I don't know if it will do any good or harm, but I'm going to try the ultrasonic cleaner on them. Don't have much to loose.
  22. sol7

Yamaha CDX-1050 CDX-900 Replacement Belts

I searched high and low for replacement belts for the mentioned cd players. I found some places selling kits for $24 +/-, but nowhere could I find what the actually belt sizes were. I ended up finding what I think are the right sizes. They work and do not feel excessively tight or loose. The...
  23. sol7

VOA Auction: Rek O Kut Rodine Jr L-34 Turntable

I'm donating this turntable to support the AK VOA Christmas Charity program. Platter spins freely. The motor is gummed up and will need the bearings cleaned/flushed and relubed. Because of that, I really don't know the true condition of the motor. I thought it ran when I first got it, but I...
  24. sol7

Is this good solder?

Bought some solder today at a sale. I know the brand Kester, but never seen 40/60 or 50/50 before. is that better than 60/40?
  25. sol7

Cheap 6 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner

Just saw this on Ebay. 6L ultrasonic cleaner for $25 and free shipping. Not sure how legit it is. I snagged one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/362463553929?ul_noapp=true Oh, I have no affiliation with this.
Back
Top Bottom