Search results

1. Zolton

Zolton's KLH Model Five restoration

In the summer of 2008, a lonely Marantz 2215 stashed under a pile of documents in the corner of an office I was doing some service work in caught my eye. I knew nothing of the 2215, but I was a teen in the 70's and knew Marantz receivers were cool. Plus, it was a shiny object. The owner said...
  2. Zolton

Mystery Ortofon cartridge

I picked up a Yamaha YP-701 turntable recently and the seller threw in 2 cartridges in need of styli. One was an old Sure M91ED which from what I read, is likely worth a new stylus The other is an Ortofon which I'm having trouble identifying. Any thoughts?
  3. Zolton

Transporting a Yamaha YP 701

I'm picking this table up a day from now and it's in for a lengthy car ride home. About 4 or 5 hours and perhaps some bumpy terrain. Even an overnight stay in freezing temperatures. What should I do to prep this table for the trip? I would think remove the platter, secure the tone arm and remove...
  4. Zolton

Akai AM-2800 power switch quick fix

This likely has been posted before but I just found a quick fix for a sweet integrated with a non functioning power switch; Jumper plugs from "unswitched" rear receptacle to "switched" rear receptacle. Amp now lives again with a power bar serving the ON / OFF function.
  5. Zolton

You know you're a redneck when...

You have camo speaker grills. Having said that, I'm sure they sound fine. Perfect set-up for "Netflix & chill" with your second cousin Betty-Lou.
  6. Zolton

Nasty/dangerous design flaw on Akai tuner?

I just picked up an Akai AT-2600 tuner today to match up with an Akai AM-2800 integrated amp I was gifted some time ago. I powered it up when I got it home and all seemed well (stand alone test and not hooked up to an amp). Being an audio nerd, I opened it up to have a look. Notice the two wire...
  7. Zolton

Akai PS-200C to Kenwood Basic M2 question

I recently picked up a minty Akai PS-200C pre at a local auction. I have a Kenwood Basic C2 & M2 set and the C2 was sounding as if a Deoxit treatment was in order. So I swapped it out for the Akai. Holy crapoli! What a volume difference. I did some homework and found that the Akai output is 1.5V...
  8. Zolton

iPod Classic 5.5 Enhanced version problems

Hey there folks. I have an older iPod Classic and a couple of i20 DACs which I enjoy very much. My old iPod has been acting up so I purchased another. Turns out it's a 5.5 enhanced version which is supposed to be the best one ever for sound reproduction, or so I read. Well when i plunk it into...
  9. Zolton

Preamp/amp matching

I'm trying to match pre-amps to amps of different brands. I've searched the topic but am still unclear. Maybe I'm reading the specs incorrectly. So I will start with ones that I have that are made to match. Kenwood Basic C2 and M2; Specs say, C2 pre out; 1Volt, 100 Ohms. M2 Input; 1 Volt...
  10. Zolton

JBL 2451 opinions

Are these high frequency drivers worth picking up to use in a project? What is the general consensus? :idea: This version is the 2451H-1, horn loaded and matched up with an M222-8a twelve inch woofer. Also horn loaded.
  11. Zolton

Dynaco A-25; a hacker's upgrade pictorial

Some time ago I purchased a pair of the famed Dynaco A-25s, in "good" condition for a "fair" price. Being as old as they are, they required refurbishing. And being A-25's, they deserved the best job I could manage. So, without further ado...
  12. Zolton

EPI 100V; a hacker's upgrade pictorial

I bought these five years ago with the thought of upgrading them some day. The cabinets were in "not so great" shape, but the woofers had been recently re-foamed and the price was right. This is my first time attempting to link photos to photobucket so things may not go so well. Anyways...here...
  13. Zolton

EPI 100V; a hacker's upgraderebuild pictorial

I bought these five years ago with the thought of upgrading them some day. The cabinets were in "not so great" shape, but the woofers had been recently refoamed and the price was right. Anyways...here we go.
  14. Zolton

Adcom GFA-545 II questions

I was recently gifted an Adcom GFA-545 II power amp and and GTP-450 tuner/preamp in "not working" condition. The three of the four 4 Amp rail fuses had blown (not uncommon so I hear) in the 545 II and I replaced them with 4 Amp slo-blo fuses as per recommendations. When I power the amp up, there...
  15. Zolton

Scroe...sort of.

When word gets around that you collect stereo stuff, sometimes things fall into your lap. A guy my wife works with said he had some stereo stuff that he would like rid of and I could have it all. He said "it's good stuff, but...it doesn't work". Hmmm. Who could resist that, I asked myself...
  16. Zolton

Safe speaker load on a Yamaha M-70 amp

My prized Sansui AU-9500 seems to have developed the plague and is out of service for the time being. I have a Yamaha C-70 & M-70 in the wings to use in the mean while. My speakers are rebuilt KLH Model Fives with a Sound Dynamic tweeter sitting atop them to ad sparkle. They are in parallel...
  17. Zolton

AU-9500 moan on power-up, then no life.

Went to fire up my AU-9500 today and when I applied power, it made a quick low hum which vibrated my stereo stand and then nothing. The power light does not come on. I opened it up to check things out. No blown fuses that I can see. Nor are there any obvious burnt components. I did Deoxit all...
  18. Zolton

Solsbury Hill

I just got back from a short vacation in England. My wife and I climbed up Solsbury Hill. Yup, the Peter Gabriel Solsbury Hill. It was awesome. :thmbsp: And we happened upon it by chance. One of our favorite songs:D
  19. Zolton

Old school auto 6x9's in ported or sealed enclosure?

Long story short... I have some old school JBL 6 x 9 inch triaxial car speakers in boxes that I power via a "just as old" Alpine car amp and deck. I use it as a work shop system. I'm in the process of refurbishing the speakers and am wondering if they should be put in a sealed or ported...
  20. Zolton

Original ESS Tempest question or two.

I'm refurbishing a salvaged pair of what I believe is the original ESS Tempest model. 12 inch woofer and Philips Eye-ball tweeter in a very heavy ported enclosure. These have been worked on some time in the past. When I opened them up they were stuffed full with poly insulation. Much like...
  21. Zolton

Free Akai AM-2800 via karma

I spent weeks refurbishing a huge honk'n set of speakers that I originally built 40 years ago, with the intention of donating them to one of the physical resources departments where I work. A few days after I did so, one of our engineers (who knows I'm a stereo guy) gave me an Akai AM-2800...
  22. Zolton

Tips required for fabric surround repair.

I salvaged a pair of ESS Tempests some time ago (with Philips eye-ball tweets, not the AMT version :tears:) Someone has been into them at some point and they require repair. They have 12 inch woofers which I believe were made by Fisher. One of the woofers has a small tear in the surround...
  23. Zolton

Sound Dynamics 6s port question

I just picked up a pair of these. Someone had replaced the OEM port with a piece of plumbing ABS drain pipe in both cabinets. I'm assuming that the inner diameter is now not correct (thick walled pipe) and possibly the length is wrong too. Could someone who owns a pair of these let me...
  24. Zolton

JBL ASB6118 for home use?

Has anyone ever tried a pair of these subs for home use? They are pro subs. A 2242H 18 inch woofer in a relatively smallish ported enclosure.:scratch2:
  25. Zolton

Marantz receiver or Sansui integrated as preamp

I'm patiently waiting for the right preamp to land in my lap. Until then, I have a few options to use. These pieces have pre out / main in jacks so could be used as preamps only... Marantz receivers; 2250B 2252B 2270 Sansui integrateds; AU-5900 AU-6600 or perhaps...
Back
Top Bottom