Search results

1. qguy

Soft dome tweeter - dome lost its coating

I have soft dome tweeter, from the outside, it looks fine but if you put the dome against the light, the light goes through the dome, any recommended fix. Some option that I can think of is spray painting the backside with paint. A tech recommended 30 percent elmers glue and 70 percent water...
  2. qguy

Woofer with mis-aligned voice coil

It is a downfiring woofer made in the early 2000.
  3. qguy

Got the speaker on the used market, seller mentioned that it did not sound right. Visual inspection and of the cone, original dust cap and edges and VC measurements ,5.5 ohms as per customer service of the manufacturer, indicates that the woofer was never repaired. When I had it serviced, it...
  4. qguy

I had a woofer repaired with a mis-aligned VC. What could possibly cause a VC to be mis-aligned when the cone, surround and spider is intact and undamaged?
  5. qguy

Acarian Alon 4 vs Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MKii

funny, I had JBL L112 before the Alons. I thought these were one of my "forever speakers", until the Alons came along, the JBL were sold for the same reason you mentioned below. I have a small room, I can do concert levels with my solid state 50 watts Class A Amp. Tried 35 watts, push pull...
  6. qguy

Not sure what Alon speakers you are talking about, but the Alon 4 are 105 lbs each with 12 inch woofers in a 4 foot tall enclosure.
  7. qguy

Currently using an Acarian Alon 4 with a 15 inch Rythmik sub. Would the Dynaudio partnered with the same sub be an upgrade or just a different flavor. I am actually pretty happy with the Acarian and Rythmik combo, just curious if anyone would have experienced with the two speakers. Dynaudio is...
  8. qguy

Volume limiting from drunk people and kids

If the amp/receiver has pre-power in, you can install a potentionmeter or a passive pre-amp in between that would reduce the volume to a certain point that allows the guest to max out the volume using the main volume control, but without actually maxing out the amps volume
  9. qguy

Mystery Garrard turntable

Is this somewhat of a sought after unit?
  10. qguy

Mystery Garrard turntable

Anyone knows the model of this one?
  11. qguy

Alon speaker question

I tried my Alon 4 on the Pioneer SX-1250 (160 wpc at 8 ohms/ 200 at 4 ohm), after an hour or so, I could not touch the SX-1250's heat sinks, eventually the SX-1250 died :( before this, I have been using the SX-1250 regularly on Infinity Kappa 7 and JBLL112 without any issues. I eventually...
  12. qguy

Alon speaker question

The Alons II are 4 ohms and 87dB, make sure your amp can handle 4 ohms, My Alon 4 has similar specs, 87dB and 4 ohms, but it goes down to 3 ohms at 70hz
  13. qguy

Alon speaker question

Jumper cables are fine. I use Canare 4S11 Biwire cables on my Alon 4, their good and inexpensive. What amp are you going to use on the Alon II?
  14. qguy

Voice coil rub repair with acetone on spider

It has a distorted sound. it only rubs on one side, all the other side is fine, anyways I was able to fix the problem by hitting the edge of the frame on the opposite side with a hammer.
  15. qguy

Voice coil rub repair with acetone on spider

Got a 10 inch subwoofer which rubs when push on one side of the cone. I have read that removing the dust cap and putting shims and applying acetone on the spider softens the spider and realligns the voice coil. The question is, how many drops of acetone is needed for a 10 inch subwoofers spider?
  16. qguy

Shouldn't There Be a Benefit In Shielding the Positive Speaker Cable?

Some specialty speaker cables are shielded. I have Ixos cables that has aluminum foil wrap into the insulation. Twisted or braideds speaker cable also provide shielding.
  17. qguy

Sub-Woofer Pre-Out Connections Question.

That should work too..
  18. qguy

You can use a Y-jack, but since I do not know what "Normal" and "Super woofer" does to the signal, I would use it to split the pre-out signal, one going to your power amp the second to your subwoofer
  19. qguy

Does your MK sub have speaker or high level input connection?
  20. qguy

Refinishing G-4700

Has anyone succesfully removed the vinyl wrap of the G-4700 without damaging the slots for air vent. Planning to removed the vinyl wrap and apply body filler to the damage areas and paint if black.
  21. qguy

Martin Logan subwoofer woes

First aid would be to clean the volume pot using Deoxit. There is a thread on using Deoxit on this forum
  22. qguy

Subwoofer Ideas

Rythmik, a "bit" over your budget, but it is one of the best subs for music and some models goes down to 14hz. Other subs that I currently have or had are SVS, REL, Klipsch, Velodyne and M&K, the Rythmik is King when it comes to music.
  23. qguy

Strange? class A power amplifier still consumes electricity.

I have the same amp, it is forever in "warm up" mode as long as it is plugged and it is designed that way. You can unplugged the amp. In my case, I added a switch on the power cord, so I can just switch it versus pulling the power cord when not it use. It can be biased up to around 50 watts...
  24. qguy

Dogs and audio equipment

It has been several years that my kids has been asking for a small puppy and basically it was not possible even if I am a dog lover myself as the dog would most likely chew on the furniture and the audio equipment, chewing on the furniture is ok, on the audio equipment is not acceptable...
  25. qguy

Can a inexpensive optical to coaxial converter degrade the sound?

Can a inexpensive optical to coaxial converter degrade the sound? After conversion, will 12 meters of coaxial cable be too long ?
Back
Top Bottom