Search results

1. A

Sansui 2000 tone board challenges

Okay, filter this through several hours of frustration and a couple cocktails... I recently bought a Sansui 2000 as a parts unit... it was advertised as parts only because the face plate for the tuner display was popped out and needed repair (gluing). I have Dad's from his days in the Service...
  2. A

Various noises and their likely sources?

Probably opening a can of worms here, but what the heck... In restoring a Sansui 2000 I've run into a couple of audio imperfections I'm in the process of debugging. The noise I'm hearing now is one I associate (from experience) with bad 2SC458s... sort of a soft "tut-tut-tut" semi-rhythmic...
  3. A

Sansui 2000 FM STEREO indicator won't turn off

Original lamps, so not LED issue. I replaced all the 2SC458s with KSC1845s, but that didn't help. I recapped the capacitor across the final (PNP) transistor hoping it was shorted or something, but alas, no. I don't have a ready replacement for a 2SB324 lying around else I'd replace that...
  4. A

Frozen bass/treble pots?

I recently acquired a Sansui 2000; it had the faceplate popped out and was in uncertain condition, but it had the wood surround and I figured if nothing else I would have a decent "parts" unit for $80. But aside from the faceplate needing to be glued in (which I did, successfully) and some bulb...
  5. A

What does inadequate power supply capacitance sound like?

I'm encountering some sound coming from my system at higher volumes that I'm not excited about. Given that I don't ordinarily play at those volumes, this isn't high on my list of priorities right now, but it occurred to me: I replaced all the electrolytics in the audio signal path on the...
  6. A

LED replacement lamps for 2000/5000 era?

Sensitive topic for some, I know, as it can spoil the original look. But for those who are amenable... I tried out the fuse-type LEDs (warm white) as backlights for the tuner dial I had on my bench and... they didn't offend me. So far so good. However, I have a couple of the screw-type...
  7. A

Right channel out, and other weirdness on vintage Sansui

Sansui 2050c Somebody in its history replaced the original cart with a Shure M91ED, which is fine, but the wiring I'm encountering while trying to debug a dead right channel is... weird. Could be the cartridge, of course: I have no idea how old it is or how it's been treated, but in the...
  8. A

Help with a refurb: belt melted... into motor?

Folks, just acquired an old turntable (Sansui SR-2050C, in case it matters) and was planning on restoring it to functionality. Light goes on when powered up into ON or PLAY state, as it should, but platter doesn't spin. I knew that when I got it, and assumed it would need a new belt at the...
  9. A

SP-30 sounding mid-anemic

Just got a pair of these as part of huge, well-taken care of lot of Sansui equipment. Haven't played with the quad system they came with, or the reel-to-reel tape deck, or the double pair of SP-1700s yet, or found out whether the 5000X has 1040 or 6013... and the turntable needs some work...
  10. A

Finally picked up SR-2050C... advice?

Have been looking for some elder turntables to go with my 2000X and 5000X, and finally found this baby in the Bay Area within a week of when travel was taking me there. Seems to be in decent condition, though I did notice some slight noise from the direction of the platter once per rotation...
  11. A

G-5500 go bzzzzt

Was trying to set the bias on the right channel after having done so successfully on the left and apparently fumblefingered something awful because the dreaded green flash of the 5A fuse occurred. Replacing the fuse resulted in not just failure to come out of protection but an immediate blowing...
  12. A

AU-505: advice before dissection?

Just acquired a lovely AU-505 and it sounds very nice. Based on "nudes" I've seen posted of other people's, this looks to be unserviced: all original caps, resistors, etc. Which is fine: I do plan to recap, but not until I get significant time to dedicate to the task. What I'm trying to do...
  13. A

Messing with the sound stage vinyl-->CD

I just recently (last couple of years) got into vinyl. I had some records as a kid, but was not sophisticated enough to appreciate them, and the vast majority of my collection of music is on CD. For most of my life I thought the interest in vinyl was nostalgic hype-- who wants all those...
  14. A

5000A Signal Meter troubleshooting

To the gurus out there... I've got a 5000A that's giving me good service. With a decent antenna it's pulling in stations well, though not wonderfully. There are about 5 stations strong enough on the dial to light up the stereo indicator; that's not too bad, given where I'm living. The...
  15. A

Tuner alignment in Arizona?

Anyone know of someone in Arizona, preferably in the Phoenix area (but i'm up for a road trip!) who does FM tuner alignment? The local guy who comes highly recommended just refused to do my Sansui 5000X, and I'm looking for an alternative. I'd be happy to learn to do it myself, but I don't...
  16. A

SP2000 speakers, dead tweeters, resistor question

Bought them as a batch with my new 5000A and honestly expected to have to do some maintenance: DeOxit on the L-pads and recapping with Daytons. Both tweets were dead, but that's not uncommon with this model (full disclosure: I have six more) when you're dealing with elderly caps. Usually you...
  17. A

Recommendation for tuner repair in Phoenix?

I've got an old Sansui 5000X whose FM subsystem seems to be shot. The vintage repair shop I took it to said it was "unserviceable" and I'm not sure if they meant "beyond their level of expertise" or something else (did they even have an FM signal generator?) Thanks in advance!
  18. A

5000X "Unserviceable"? :(

Well, that was disappointing. Took the 5000X to the shop last week with FM tuner issues hoping the vintage stereo shop that advertised "repairs" could make better progress on it than me. Alas, no. They were able to make the same diagnosis as I was: something in the "FM pack" as it's called...
  19. A

Record is cut backwards?

Just getting into the hobby... bought some vinyl the other day, specifically a 12" single of The Bangles' cover of Hazy Shade of Winter. The song's only three minutes long, so... what to do with all that extra vinyl? There's an extra "dub" version that, to my ear, sounds just like the...
  20. A

Extra counterweight for tonearm?

Restoring a Magnavox Astrosonic changer (two, actually) and the service manual recommends 3-3.5 grams tracking force for the stock piezo cartridge (which I have, or at least the equivalent). There's a serrated dial on the back of the tone arm that adjusts an internal spring that changes the...
  21. A

Just a bad master?

So on getting back into the hobby again, I was getting records with my wife and she chose Lionel Richie's debut solo album. Without arguing the merits of the album itself-- I personally think it's pretty good-- I noticed on first play that at least one of the (inner) tracks was pretty rough...
  22. A

Old toys in better shape than I expected!

After sitting around idle for 10 years while my youngest grew to young ladyhood, my Sansui receivers are BACK on the workbench! :) Though my 4000 is still MIA (I must have given it to my ex-brother-in-law... there's just no other rational explanation!), I carted out all the rest-- at first...
  23. A

How to tell if dust cover is acrylic, polycarbonate, or polystyrene?

Just bought a Sansui FR-D40, and while it plays decently the dust cover is fairly ugly. Looks like someone had something on top of it for a long time and scratched it all to hell. I know there are different techniques used to buff/re-polish the cover depending on what it's made of (and...
  24. A

Couple of turntable finds

Seeing a Pioneer PL-518 and a Sansui FR-D40 come up locally. Look to be in good condition but I'll stop by to hear them first. Any advice on things to look for, buyer beware stuff? Top price? I'm not looking for audiophile equipment, just something that sounds decent in my front room and...
  25. A

New to turntables, started with a Magnavox console

Howdy. I've been playing around with some old Magnavox consoles from the late 1960s because I kind of enjoy the look of them. I'm new to vinyl, unless you count the stuff I used to listen to Read Along Storybooks when I was a wee lad. I expect pops and crackles here and there but on the...
Back
Top Bottom