Search results

1. Vinylcafe

Sony STR 7065a FM Center Tuning Meter Help

Wow! Thank you all so much! I was looking all over and never saw it! Thanks again!
  2. Vinylcafe

Hey Binkman, thanks. I have an original SM, it's just silent on adjusting the center tune meter. Only mentions the signal strength meter. I had a STR V5 with the same issue, and one of the adjustable RF coils solved it. Just don't want to go kn there willy nilly and knock the whole thing out of...
  3. Vinylcafe

... a while since I've been here, over at Tapeheads obsessed with cassettes. Good to be back! I have the above receiver and the Center Tuning Meter needs calibration. The service manual describes the signal strength meter calibration, but no the center tuning meter. When the muting cuts out...
  4. Vinylcafe

Scope needed

Tektronix 465 is a classic workhorse. Many around, also even still find parts. Condition and functionality, obviously key.
  5. Vinylcafe

Can you identify this receiver?

The mid-seventies "R" series from Luxman are really nice sounding receivers. They have a lushness about them, that has a tube-like quality (at least for a solid state device). Would not part with mine. My first ever receiver was a LG R-3800 bought new.
  6. Vinylcafe

Sony STR-7065 in the house

It's a great piece. If you can get it for $150.00 I think you'd be doing well. At this age, a piece like this would greatly benefit from a recap. At least cleaning of pots and switches. I am just starting to rebuild a 7065a. They are beautiful.
  7. Vinylcafe

Seeking vintage amplifier or receiver with Tightest + most Accurate Bass...modern Electronic music

I can say the bass from my rebuilt Luxman R-1120a is fantastic. The rest of it is just lush and warm. Great sounding receiver, if you can find one.
  8. Vinylcafe

Let me check and see if I still have it

Let me check and see if I still have it
  9. Vinylcafe

Hi biglobsger, just seeing this now.

Hi biglobsger, just seeing this now.
  10. Vinylcafe

Sony PS-8750 Finally Out of Rehab

Sorry to bring this back from the dead ... but another bit of info to add for archive purposes and new owners trying to get the speeds to work. I had to tune this up again and wanted to emphasize some points ... Original Post said: Finally, another thing that can make the X-Tal intermitent is...
  11. Vinylcafe

Sony PS-8750 5v Rail Volatge Low

I know there are a number of 8750 experts here, and really hoping to get to the bottom of this issue. The Extal has been working on-and-off for years now, and I finally have the time to get to the bottom of it. Pretty convinced it's a low rail voltage for the ICs on the Extal board 5.5 is...
  12. Vinylcafe

Which comes first .. the amp or the speakers ???

Speakers ... I have remained pretty steady with my amplification over the years, speakers are a different story. Rotating, listening, waiting for the hair to stand up on the back of my neck. In the old days, they used to say your transducers were the most critical, that would also include your...
  13. Vinylcafe

Nakamichi RX 505 problem

It would not play at all. Pinch roller arms were frozen. Removed them, new lubricant, new control cam belt. Then arms/guides reset with M-300 gauge. Then head height and azimuth reset with ANT's tapes. It's a work-out for a rookie (ie:me). Deck sounds amazing now.
  14. Vinylcafe

Nakamichi RX 505 problem

I had same issue with a RX 303. Was as Perry suggested … frozen pinch roller arms. If that is the case, needs to go to someone with the right tools, jigs, tapes and know-how.
  15. Vinylcafe

How expensive are replacement V-fet's?

VFETs are fairly robust devices … it's the bias circuits you have to keep an eye on.
  16. Vinylcafe

How expensive are replacement V-fet's?

I totally rebuilt my Sony 8550 with the help of Echowars many years ago. It was totally nerve wracking!! If for one second the bias voltage is interrupted or too low, you fry the VFETs. According to Sony service bulletins/service manuals the ranks of the complimentary devices must be within one...
  17. Vinylcafe

Best Marantz receiver...on a budget

Pound-for-pound, watt-for-watt Marantz is some of the spendiest vintage gear out there … not sure why. Luxman, Kenwood, Sansui made some really nice gear that won't set you back as much. Have never figured out the Marantz premium.
  18. Vinylcafe

In Praise of the Sony SS-M7b

I've had these for a while now, and been driving them with my solid state components. During this time they sounded quite good, but certainly didn't blow you away. Just recently I decided to power them with tubes, and gave them a bit of help with a sub. WOW! They are different speakers. First of...
  19. Vinylcafe

Vintage Sony Reveivers Why The Lack of Love?

It's a question I've asked myself as well … no idea. I have completely rebuilt a STR V5 and a 7055. Both sounded very, very good and were well made. I have a 7065a in the cue. The 70xx series is a pain to work on, as it's a bit of a rats nest in there, but still well built. We should just enjoy...
  20. Vinylcafe

RX-505 restoration - who?

Perry did my Nak, and is great! He might still be on hiatus, as he was moving. Great guy and very fair rates.
  21. Vinylcafe

Sony STR-7055

The 7055 is a GREAT little receiver! I totally rebuilt one for my daughter and she loves it. I have a 7065a ready for a rebuild now. These are under appreciated, and often under priced units. The are built like tanks and sound great. Only issue … bit of a cramped rats nest inside.
  22. Vinylcafe

Nakamichi woes

The RX 303 has the Nak classic transport. To change belts it has to be removed and split - not a job for the faint of heart. New control cam belt, new capstan belt - make sure they are from Marrs Communications, or your deck will not be in spec any more. If the deck has been out of use for a...
  23. Vinylcafe

The Nakamichi trail .....

Watching those cassettes flip never gets old! Congrats.
  24. Vinylcafe

Nakamichi BX-125 Pause Issues

If you took apart the transport, you likely put it together incorrectly. The mode cam and the cam potentiometer must be mated properly. The cam pot lets the logic board know what mode it's in. If the capstan motor is being told to turn in Pause mode, that's my guess. Full disclosure, I am not a...
  25. Vinylcafe

The Nakamichi trail .....

I am sure you know this, but I would not trust many people to work on a Dragon. Willy Hermann is the guy you want on the West Coast. There are also a few techs on the Tapeheads forum that are champs. Either way, there will be a line to get it done properly. As for the 202, the flip mech often...
Back
Top Bottom