Search results

1. jaybirdss396

Am I just expecting too much?

Some setups will actually hum with the turntable ground CONNECTED. Try disconnecting the ground and see if the hum goes away. My Dual 1019 hums if the ground is connected but is silent if I leave the ground unhooked.
  2. jaybirdss396

Repairing a Hitachi HA-610 - basic advice please

Yep, that part # will work
  3. jaybirdss396

Q602L and Q602R appear to have something to do with the tone circuit. They are 2SC1345 transistors which are known troublemakers. I would replace them with ksc1845. Even if they aren't the problem they should be preemptively replaced anyway. I replaced all the known troublemakers in mine to...
  4. jaybirdss396

The first thing I would do is thoroughly clean the tone defeat switch.
  5. jaybirdss396

Realistic STA-19 - attempt to service it myself?

Does it hum with no inputs connected to it? Sometimes the components plugged into it can introduce hum. If it still hums with nothing connected then yes as others have said it might need new power supply caps. Not a hard job even for a beginner. I would go for it, that receiver isn't worth a...
  6. jaybirdss396

Technics SL1200 MK5 hinges?

The hinge kit you need is here https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/m1200.htm Personally I don't use the hinges on my 1200, I removed them and use the KAB rubber bumpers to convert the dustcover to a lift off style. When I'm using the turntable I just remove the dustcover and set it aside...
  7. jaybirdss396

MX110z hum issue

How close is the MX110 to the amp? Sometimes tube gear can pick up hum from the large power supply transformer of a nearby amp or other piece of gear. Maybe try moving it further away from the amp. Also try some different RCA cables to see if that helps. I hate hum problems, but usually...
  8. jaybirdss396

Technics SL-1210 MK 5 Channel Noise

You should also try cleaning the contacts on the headshell wires at the cartridge (and the pins of the cartridge) and also the contacts on the other end of the headshell wires where they attach to the pins of the headshell. Also clean the ends of the RCA cables too. Because of the very low...
  9. jaybirdss396

So, intrigued by the Denon 103r

A Denon DL103R is my daily driver cart right now. It is the stock conical diamond but you would never know you were listening to a conical. It tracks superbly and it has a nice neutral but "big" sound. It is on a Technics 1200 with fluid damper. I also have it mounted in a fairly heavy LP...
  10. jaybirdss396

Help me choose some floor standing speakers!!?

I can't really compare them with a JBL because I haven't owned a large pair of JBL speakers since the 90s. But prior to owning Pendragons I was running Klipsch Chorus II and also have Klipsch Fortes. Other than the Klipsch being a little more efficient they were inferior to the Tektons in...
  11. jaybirdss396

Help me choose some floor standing speakers!!?

Tekton Pendragons are just under your budget. I had a pair for several years and only sold them to upgrade to the Double Impacts. IMO the Pendragons are the best speaker deal in hifi right now.
  12. jaybirdss396

Broken speed pot...help please

The 102 indicates that it is a 1k pot.
  13. jaybirdss396

Hum comes and goes with phono stage grounded and not grounded

If the hum is changing at night you might have a CFL or led bulb somewhere in the house putting out noise. Happened to me once and drove me crazy. Dimmer switches can put out noise too.
  14. jaybirdss396

Mc 150 comments

I wouldn't really describe it as warm, but it does not sound bright either. Just neutral and transparent but musical, not dry or sterile sounding. This amp really just sounds like whatever preamp you put in front of it. I initially had a VTA SP12 tube preamp going into it but the solid state...
  15. jaybirdss396

Mc 150 comments

I have an MC150 paired with a C42 preamp. The MC150 is a very under the radar amp, but I am very happy with it. It's dead quiet, reliable, runs cool and sounds excellent with my Tekton Double Impact speakers. I've never heard any other Mc amps with these speakers so really can't comment on...
  16. jaybirdss396

Clipping/Distortion and other problems with new stylus

I would start getting nervous about tracking any higher than around 2.5g. I would just set it at 2.5g and play a junk record for a few hours to break it in then see how it sounds.
  17. jaybirdss396

Clipping/Distortion and other problems with new stylus

More info would be helpful such as the exact turntable, preamp etc... But it sounds like the phono pre is clipping if you are seeing waveforms cut off. Or it could be severely mistracking. I never really believed in stylus "break in" but I've recently had a few styli that sounded like crap...
  18. jaybirdss396

Recommendation needed for replacement Shure M91ED stylus

You can buy direct from Jico but the price with shipping is going to be almost $100. https://www.jico-stylus.com/product/n91ed/
  19. jaybirdss396

Denon DL-103R + Schiit Mani

The Denon dl-103r requires a load impedance of at least 100 ohms. The Mani's MC load impedance is 47 ohms, so you have an impedance mismatch. That would explain the poor sound quality. It's not really the Mani's fault, it's just not really compatible with that particular cartridge.
  20. jaybirdss396

I have a group of sporadic cartridges from over the years. Update: tried AT3600L, but...

The shure m91 is a nice cartridge with the right stylus. The Jico eliptical replacement stylus is very good but the price has gone up to $73. Plus they aren't shipping till may 13.
  21. jaybirdss396

Nagaoka MP-500/300 Thread

I've been running a Nagaoka MP500 on a Technics 1200 with KAB fluid damper for a year now. I originally bought the cartridge as an MP300 but quickly found that the eliptical stylus was holding it back. Previously I had been running an Acutex 312 str lpm which was an excellent cartridge that...
  22. jaybirdss396

Cleaning new Sansui Seven Receiver

The best thing I've found for cleaning grime off knobs and faceplates is Lysol wipes but good luck finding those right now...
  23. jaybirdss396

Tekton Owners Thread

I get a touch of this with my Double Impacts on certain female vocals. However I dont really know if its constriction or just revealing of the recording, upstream gear or even room acoustics. The upper midrange on these speakers is very revealing and will quickly show limitations on upstream...
  24. jaybirdss396

DAC suggestion for Sony BDP-S2000ES to Marantz 2250

If you're just playing regular CDs the Adcom GDA600 from the mid nineties is an excellent DAC. It wont really do any higher bitrates than redbook CD, but if that's all you are listening too, it should be on your short list.
  25. jaybirdss396

Review of the VTA SP14

I have an sp12 and love it. That's sweet you got the remote control version. I'm going to add that to mine someday...
Back
Top Bottom