Search results

1. Steve Hoffman

Vacuum Tube Valley Magazines online, Fisher article in issue 6

That is the article that I read back in the day that started me on the FisherQuest. I already had McIntosh, Marantz, etc. but Fisher was something I hadn't thought about for a long time. So glad I read it!
  2. Steve Hoffman

Did I read here once that...

Heh, you know how I feel about vague thread titles!
  3. Steve Hoffman

Did I read here once that...

I am the best looking guy here? Yes, and it's damn true.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Rolling tubes in the phono section.

Guys, come on! Some of the tubes you are describing cost more in a matched pair than a Fisher 500C receiver. Give the guy a break, recommend something he doesn't have to go into debt to get. Not everyone in the world has a giant tube stash like we do. Give him some real world choices....
  5. Steve Hoffman

Another Fisher 800B Rebuild

Beautiful machine. Think I'll go fire mine up right now..
  6. Steve Hoffman

New Fisher 800B

You have a very early one. Got too hot like that so they redesigned..
  7. Steve Hoffman

New Fisher 800B

Give that 800B some more air ventilation and room on top. Can't breathe in that hole..
  8. Steve Hoffman

Fisher 500B an the Fisher

The 500B by far (if you have a good one..)
  9. Steve Hoffman

I wish Fisher made a receiver combining the 500C & 500B.

Sure, all it takes is money (too much of it).
  10. Steve Hoffman

Oh, they made that. It's called the Marantz 8B.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Wise words. All of my gear matches as much as possible, including same tube brands, etc. The B is more euphonic, the C more accurate. Both wonderful (especially for the price).
  12. Steve Hoffman

The 500B/800B is more of what I want sound-wise from a vintage piece. I have accurate tube gear all over the place, big deal. When I'm in the mood for that old-time sound, it's the "B" for me. When people want 3D sound at a 2D price, I tell them to find a Fisher 500B, it has that tube...
  13. Steve Hoffman

Oh, come on, name them!
  14. Steve Hoffman

Glad to see another 800B back in action. Think I'll go fire mine up right now!
  15. Steve Hoffman

Can you repost pic? Nothing but an "X".
  16. Steve Hoffman

I love the 800B the best. I love the way it sounds, the way it looks, the way it smells, dang it, like old Kennedy era electronics. I have a minty 500B, 500C, 800B and 800C and the 800B wins for that magic tone. Enjoy your restoration and the end result!
  17. Steve Hoffman

Recommended tubes for Fisher 400

I have all Telefunken, Mullard, etc., in my Fisher 500B/500C/800B/800C but I have a giant supply and since most Fishers came with them, for me it's fine. But a single 12AX7 NOS ribbed plate Telefunken costs $100.00 or so now which is just crazy.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Recommended tubes for Fisher 400

Just don't go for some new old stock tubes that cost more than the Fisher unit is worth. That way lies madness..
  19. Steve Hoffman

Fisher 400, 500, 800 Sonic weakness?

Agreed. You want to mod something, go find a Dynakit!
  20. Steve Hoffman

Fisher C-800 Contemporary Rehab

Very nice!
  21. Steve Hoffman

fisher 500c alternative combos?

I'm pretty sure that will be a waste of time and money but knock yourself out! Never heard a GE that could top a Tele.
  22. Steve Hoffman

fisher 500c alternative combos?

Are those Fisher 12AX7's Teles or what?
  23. Steve Hoffman

Finally got it back .... 500B.

Probably from this guy. He makes the best cabinets for Fisher, Mac, Marantz, etc. http://mcintoshcabinets.com/pages/fisher.htm
  24. Steve Hoffman

You know .... the phono stage on the 500B isn't too shabby.

I have an 800B and I agree, better than I thought it would be, phono wise. Using a nice, balanced cart (Shure V15) helps..
  25. Steve Hoffman

Can anyone tell me what the "Phase Reverse" switch is for on the 500B ?

I'm sorry, I don't want to argue with you but the switch only reverses ONE set of speaker leads, throwing the sound "out of phase". Nothing to do with absolute polarity, an issue that wasn't even really discovered, talked about or worried about until the 1980's...
Back
Top Bottom