Search results

1. xXSHADoW93Xx

My 1970s Zenith Nomad II (with Micro-Touch 2G Tonearm)

For the past few years, I was on the search for a Micro-Touch 2G tonearm-equipped Zenith portable, and a week ago, that opportunity came when I saw a Nomad II on shopgoodwill and was able to win it for the starting bid of $6.95 (total was $25 after shipping/handling). Sure, it has a BSR...
  2. xXSHADoW93Xx

A Clone of the AUE CP-38S ceramic cartridge

On AliExpress, while restocking my batch of P-192D carts from Vakind, I noticed they were also selling a ceramic cartridge which looks a lot like the AUE carts that were used in the Stack-O-Matic. So I ordered a pair to try them out. Note the logo on this P-192D clone: Here it is side by...
  3. xXSHADoW93Xx

The super of a building gave me an Acoustic Research XB with original box!

So I picked this up yesterday, all for the price of free, as the super of a building replied to an ad I made on freecycle looking for parts turntables to stock up on spare parts: Came with the original documentation, accessories, and even the sales receipts! It has a Shure M91ED cart...
  4. xXSHADoW93Xx

Picked up a pair of Goodmans Maximus 1's for $25

Saw these pair of Goodmans Maximus 1 speakers at the thrift store yesterday while hunting for speakers, as I wanted to ditch my Onkyo speakers: They were priced at $12.99 each, or $24.98 total: Got them hooked up to my JVC Nivico 5001 and boy, was it a HUGE improvement. Now I just...
  5. xXSHADoW93Xx

Rebuilding and facelifting a BSR Changer

So a few weeks back, I picked up a Lloyds all-in-one with the original speakers, and it was originally equipped with a BSR C129R changer. That one had a standard headshell, and equipped with a BSR SC7M cartridge (less common configuration than the Tetrad headshell variant). For the time...
  6. xXSHADoW93Xx

My 1970s Collaro changer

I picked this up for $20 a few weeks back, in AS-IS condition. Has a factory-installed Tenorel 2001 magnetic cartridge: The motor was completely seized up, and when I tried to repair the motor, the motor literally fell apart, the connections crumbling. The idler wheel also had...
  7. xXSHADoW93Xx

You've seen my modded Stack-O-Matic, now it's time for....

My heavily modded Magnavox "Cruiser". The main mods done to it was adding a preamp, replacing the tonearm tube with a slightly longer one from a Keepsake, and replacing the headshell with a headshell from a Realistic Clarinette 23 (which had the same dimensions for the turntable itself). This...
  8. xXSHADoW93Xx

Banpa BP2ATC vs BSR SC 12H

As the Banpa BP2ATC is actually based on the BSR SC 7-12 series, I compared the BP2ATC to the SC 12H i recently got specifically for this comparison. I also test the sound quality, using the same stylus for both cartridges (Pfanstiehl 274-DS73)
  9. xXSHADoW93Xx

Simple Schematic for using Ceramic cartridges on MM phono preamp

After modifying my Garrard changer with its Banpa BP2ATC cartridge so I can use it with any MM phono preamp, here's a schematic that will be handy for anyone who wants to use a ceramic cartridge on an MM phono input. This is based on how my vintage JVC Nivico receiver does it for its phono input...
  10. xXSHADoW93Xx

"Crosley Cartridge" Showdown

I've had a stash of those infamous "Crosley Cartridges", including the Chuo-Denshi original, as several cheap turntables I repair and resell usually have their cartridge replaced with a Banpa BP2ATC. I was curious whether to see if the P-188 generics had any noticeable differences from the...
  11. xXSHADoW93Xx

Magnetic vs Ceramic Cartridges - Can you tell the difference?

No, this is not a question, but I just want you guys to see if any of you can correctly guess which recording was recorded with a magnetic cartridge, and which recording was recorded with a ceramic cartridge, based on the audio recordings themselves. The stereo receiver I'm using is the JVC...
  12. xXSHADoW93Xx

JVC Nivico 5001 & Pioneer SX-535

Here's today's thrift store finds of the day. A JVC Nivico 5001 which was priced at $29.99 and a Pioneer SX-535 priced at only $14.99. It was also a 25% off day, so decided to pull the trigger. JVC Nivico 5001: I'm surprised they had a switch to switch between using a magnetic...
  13. xXSHADoW93Xx

ELI SL-B2

Found this at the Salvation Army for $7. It's a two-speed, belt-drive, semi-automatic turntable which clearly looks like a cheap Technics knockoff. It has an Audio-Technica AT95 cartridge, but I tested it with my Pickering V-15. It has a strobe and a pitch control, for both 33 1/3 and...
  14. xXSHADoW93Xx

The Dual Gods are at it again

And they said: "Thou shalt get another Dual" While searching for an N78S stylus on eBay to play 78s on my 1209, a listing for a Dual 1009 being sold as parts/repair popped up for only $5.99 and $20 shipping. I decided to pull the trigger and today, it arrived! It does need a ton of work...
  15. xXSHADoW93Xx

Dual CS 1258

Picked this up for only $15. Was advertised as non-working The culprit was the motor switch was completely shot, so I bypassed it It had a Shure P-Mount to 1/2" adapter, so it probably had a Shure M92E on it. Dug out my spare carts, and decided to try my Audio-Technica Signet TK1E...
  16. xXSHADoW93Xx

Shure M97xE dynamic stabilizer

One of the records of the 3 LP set that I ordered arrived damaged. Since the other two records were intact, I decided to keep the damaged record so I could test the "dynamic stabilizer" that was on my Shure M97xE. And here we see how the M97xE with the stabilizer deployed fares with the record...
  17. xXSHADoW93Xx

My Dual KA-25 all-in-one!

The other Dual that arrived was this all-in-one! Originally had a Dual 1214, but it was plagued with too much issues and missing parts, so decided to convert my 1225 so it could be used on the KA-25 for the time being (once I get the 1214 refurbished or find a replacement, the 1225 will go back...
  18. xXSHADoW93Xx

Another Dual joins the fleet!

This time, a Dual 1209 with a Dual CK6 plinth! Scored it for $42 total from the Goodwill Auction site. So far, waiting for the counterweight which I had to order to arrive. For the time being, this one will share the M97xE with the 1225 until I get this one its own M97xE Note the size...
  19. xXSHADoW93Xx

Masterwork M-505 mini-stereo

Here's another vintage all-in-one that I currently use as my bedside stereo Got it for $9.99 after a 25% discount has a plastic 4-speed BSR minichanger with auto size selector: Testing Made in Japan. Wonder who made it for Columbia Masterwork? Came with an SC5H ceramic cart...
  20. xXSHADoW93Xx

Oh brother...

Didn't know brother at one point sold stereo equipment. Here's my brother IMPACT 33 that I picked up at the thrift store. This isn't a daily runner, as It's just a backup in case I need to service my Panasonic SA-60 receiver. Has a 3-speed Glenburn changer (which I had to lubricate the motor...
  21. xXSHADoW93Xx

Morse ME-4 Stereo Chassis Schematic?

I know that Morse was a very low-end stereo manufacturer and not highly regarded at all, but does anyone here have a schematic for the ME-4 stereo chassis (which was also used in a WIDE variety of Morse and Electrophonic console stereos and standalone stereos)? I'm currently trying to restore...
  22. xXSHADoW93Xx

Dual KA25

So, I just won a Dual KA25 with a Dual 1214, and currently waiting for it to arrive Some things I need help finding out: What type of speaker connectors does this use? What's the pinout for the 5-pin DIN so I can make a 5-pin DIN to RCA tape-in/out connector The phono input is for a...
  23. xXSHADoW93Xx

Banpa BP2ATC: The "Crosley Cartridge" Successor

Recently, Banpa started selling a new ceramic cartridge which is made to retrofit existing turntables that use the infamous "Crosley Cartridge" (this includes any turntable that used the original Chuo-Denshi CZ-800). Decided to pick up 4 of them to try out on my test record players. And this...
  24. xXSHADoW93Xx

Comparing a counterfeit "Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player" with the original copy

At a recycling center's ReUse store, I spotted this obviously fake copy of "Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player" for $2, which gave me the idea to make a comparison video between the original copy I have of the same album with this counterfeit. Counterfeit copy on the left. Note that all...
  25. xXSHADoW93Xx

Crosley Traveler Stack-O-Matic and rebuild

So at the local recycling center, I got this Crosley Stack-O-Matic for only $10 Word has it that it's essentially a cheap BSR clone, which was the main intention of buying this. Unlike the older BSR's which were idler-drive, this one is a belt-drive mechanism, as can be seen here: The...
Back
Top Bottom