Search results

1. pjfarano

Music Reference RM-9 Schematic needed.

Hopefully someone here can point the way as I may not be able to see the forest for the trees... LOL! I have an RM-9 MKII converted to a point to point, hand wired circuit. While I am adept at reading schematics, I have never seen one with so many unconnected end points and I have schemas...
  2. pjfarano

Deuce is almost done

It should be noted that Mike's Citation II KT150 build was not the first of it's kind. The original Citation II KT150 prototype was completed for myself. All the mods were properly tested and run in for audio supremacy and reliability and auditioned by Michael in my own system so he could...
  3. pjfarano

Deuce is almost done

As of 8/16, Dr. Mike's Citation II, along with my own, has now been completed. We are burning KT150 power tubes. The board components have been changed to match the components sold by Jim McShane. The Cit II now uses my improved power supply to safely wring the very best from KT120's or...
  4. pjfarano

HK Citation 2 with KT150's!

Thank goodness I don't depend upon forum trolls like you, just waiting to pick an online fight while lurking behind emails! Get a life..
  5. pjfarano

You'll have to do your own research..
  6. pjfarano

Oh my, No LOLing? No sense of humor? LOL! No joviality? LOL! You must be a democrap! LOL! LOL! LOL! Using 150's or 120's???? You haven't followed the discussion from the beginning.... LOL! In a Cit II there are several reasons why you should not.. LOL! When you are through reading...
  7. pjfarano

" Authenticity of the original cuisine and the way it's made"???? LOL! What the hell is THAT??? Do you own a Cit II? Have you restored a few using KT88 and KT150 tubes??? It sounds like you don't believe in the restoration of vintage components. LOL! If that's the case, you won't be able to...
  8. pjfarano

If you will take notice, and stated previously, this Cit II is sitting on a Cool Components ventilation deck. I would not run ANY Citation II, no matter WHO'S restoration it was or whatever tubes you are burning, without one of these. The feet are removed from both the fan deck and the amp, with...
  9. pjfarano

10. pjfarano

The pics with the black capacitors are the very latest Citation II power supply. The larger single caps are the voltage doublers and as before, are 400vdc each. Notably, each single output trafo supply cap, now stacked (center), is 550vdc, to filter the increased B+ in this amplifier. Again...
  11. pjfarano

12. pjfarano

Kegger, you've hit the nail on the head.. "Accurate", absolutely yes, "dry"(?) as in "romantic" and mushy with undefined output? Let me see where I put my McIntosh? LOL! (This will REALLY start the flame wars, LOL!)
  13. pjfarano

Let me say that I'm not a poster boy for KT150's and am not promoting the use of KT150's in anything including Citation II's. What I AM promoting is my knowledge of this amp (and the possibilities) in addition to the fine work I am capable of doing with a one-off (really two-off) example. (I...
  14. pjfarano

One more change was made to the original pic above just yesterday. The toroid trafo under the power cap on the R side (L channel) in the pic next to the choke, was secured along the R side chassis (L channel) on the same side as the choke. Yes, in the pic, the original choke was moved from...
  15. pjfarano

Of course, you can operate the KT150 at the same setup specs as the KT88, and there is a modest sonic improvement, but you will not be able safely and reliably operate the KT150 in a stock Citation II even with what is considered to be a generally accepted restoration. The KT150 loaded Cit II...
  16. pjfarano

150mA to 180mA is what is actually posted for the average! LOL! While this Cit II is capable of delivering on such a spec, the tube, in actuality is not...
  17. pjfarano

Allow me to clarify my statement about advertising hype... While I do like GL KT88's, to my ears (& others), in a properly and thoughtfully modified/upgraded Citation II, KT120's & KT150's do offer a sonic improvement over KT88's. What is NOT true are the max setup parameters as specified by...
  18. pjfarano

19. pjfarano

babblefish has got it right. Once you hear a properly set-up amp that has the ability to run KT120's or KT150's, there is no going back to KT88's (although very nice indeed)! LOL! BTW, the operating specs that are posted for 120's and 150's are all advertising hype and wishful thinking...
  20. pjfarano

Deuce is almost done

With the back of the Cit II facing down, there is a small Toroid trafo (McShane mod) on the right which now handles the pt bias and relieving the mains trafo of that duty. This amp also has the McShane Choke mod attached to the McShane Virtual Dual Mono mod. My hat is off to Jim McShane and Don...
  21. pjfarano

Harman Kardon Citation II: replace tube sockets or not?

If there is arcing it's because the pt's guide key is being spun around the socket to find the keyway. This deposits metal from the tube pins between each insertion point causing shorting from plate to filament. Solution: Find tube guide key & insert it directly into the keyway! When pulling the...
  22. pjfarano

What a long strange trip it's been

I was under the 'impression' that the p supply work was completed by Bob Carver and do not know if the work was completed someone who bought a kit & installed it. I was led to believe by Michael, that he is 'secretive' about the mod. It's quite involved & should NOT be attempted by amateurs. I...
  23. pjfarano

H&K Citation ll Michael brought the amp in for me to look at & evaluate. A challenging restoration, indeed! The original posted pics don't show the true & complete hacking involved to what was once a collector's item and audiophile's pride & joy. Part of the problem being that it is not clear...
  24. pjfarano

HK Citation II I make it a rule not to comment on other "tech's" (loosely applied here) work unless the piece is on my bench, but, since I have been asked to restore an amp like this one by a client in this area, I cannot hold my peace... I would have washed entire board with a dielectric...
Back
Top Bottom