Search results

1. Rob41

Best Buy to stop selling CDs.

The closest Best Buy to me is hours away. I get my CD's online or i Japan when I go there.
  2. Rob41

Do you think this hobby is dying ??

I haven't stepped foot in a brick and morter store in more than 30 years. I live in a rural area and there's no audio stores for hours I'm sure. Hell, In person, I've met 1 other enthusiast in 30 years and that was in Iceland a couple years ago. I know enthusiast exist only because I see gear...
  3. Rob41

Why does the cheap shipping take so long? Does Mouser do it just to get us mad?

Good luck. I've done pretty well with deliveries accept when Fed-Ex calls and asks if they can drop off my packages in town at a Fed-Ex location (Wall Greens). They don't want to drive 10 miles out of town with no other deliveries out here. If I say I'd rather just have it delivered, they...
  4. Rob41

I've never read the fine print at Mouser.....just trying to yank your chain. :)
  5. Rob41

Have You A "Season" For Hardware?

Lake Superior is 42 degrees year round, so yeah, you wouldn't last long even if they saw you go over the side. Back in the 90's I was a deckhand then a wiper and oiler on the Clarke, Callaway, Ander, Speer and Gott. After that I went "deep sea" on various USNS ships. I'm now the Chief Engineer...
  6. Rob41

Actually, if you read the fine print at Mouser it says orders to Southeast Pa may experience significant delays.
  7. Rob41

Have You A "Season" For Hardware?

I'm a Merchant Marine so I have a 4 months on then 4 months vacation cycle. When I'm off in the summer my wife and I spend our time outside doing summer activities. When I'm off in the winter I get to work on my audio projects. So that means about every other winter with my schedule.
  8. Rob41

Suprising performance from what?

Thanks. I looked all over the web and couldn't find any current full featured head unit implemented into a home stereo that looked nice. I figured I'd take a stab at it so my first prototype was born. ;)
  9. Rob41

What's wrong with me - new digital vs vintage analog

It may keep YOU more engaged. I prefer my engagement to be in building speakers, new systems, finding a plethora of new music in an instant etc. :)
  10. Rob41

Cool, that's a great way to get HD radio! Mine has HD radio too........if there were any HD stations in my area. :(
  11. Rob41

He said "for going back in time I like the analog". Saying that's nostalgia is not an insult; it's just another way of saying what he said. Nostalgia if a factor for some.
  12. Rob41

I always stop to buy their baked goods and apple butter.
  13. Rob41

To accompany the project, I'm refurbishing a pair of circa 1973 Sansui SF2 omni-directional speakers. New crossovers I've designed, new far more capable drivers and of course a new finish to match the head unit/control center. :biggrin: I wanted to get rid of the old grandpa look (no offense...
  14. Rob41

Lol, I get a bit of that too. You are correct, hard media is receding for sure. Profits are higher without the media and ease of access is easier for the consumer. I'm not sure I like that aspect but that's where it's going.
  15. Rob41

Yep, that's exactly right. And the horseless carriage came about more than a hundred years ago, yet there is still a niche market for horses to this day. :idea: You could make the comparison about just about anything really. Solid state rules the day yet there is still a niche following.
  16. Rob41

This whole debate of vinyl vs digital will decline as the years tick away. Vinyl is a diminishing endeavor and that trend will continue. Nothing wrong with people preferring and enjoying it though. It really is a subjective choice to make and we should all enjoy our music however WE like it.
  17. Rob41

Thank you. I'll be updating in a few days with pictures of the matching Sansui SF2 speakers I'm currently refurbishing for my wife. New drivers, LR crossovers and of course paint to match the Pioneer head unit enclosure.
  18. Rob41

It's not just you and it's a trend that's going to continue. There are many, many genres of music and only a few of them are represented very well on vinyl. For a lot of music there is little to no representation. Plus the very limited availability of the media compared to digital renderings...
  19. Rob41

Never had a DAC before....please help with two questions.

Thank you. Ya know I feel pretty accomplished at building active speakers and playing in the analog world, but now that I'm switching to digital I'm starting to feel my age.....I mean it's new to me.
  20. Rob41

I can see now how it would be redundant.
  21. Rob41

Thanks, it's always fun when I get to show off what I don't know, lol.
  22. Rob41

It of course does work with digital inputs and process FLAC files. My lack of understanding sure has caused some confusion. Sorry for that guys! And thanks for the help. :)
  23. Rob41

Good point. I did some cursory looking but I'll have to dig deeper.
  24. Rob41

All of my sources are part of the Pioneer head unit which is of course also the preamp and DSP. To the best of my knowledge, it does not have an internal DAC. I am looking for a Digital to Analog convertor for the whole thing. It doesn't look like that will be possible though? Sorry for the...
Back
Top Bottom