Search results

1. GerardG

Worst part of vinyl.....

Moving. Three years ago I moved after retiring. The cost of moving vinyl half way across the continent was expensive not to mention finding a place to repair one table as well as one stereo receiver, a Realistic STA-2300, damaged in the move. That was with professional packing too. It's only now...
  2. GerardG

78 rpm listening habits.

Before retiring from teaching I'd bring in my Victor Talking Machine, the very one in my photo, and show it to my students for science or music class. They'd be astounded at it playing but not quite what to make of it. They'd ask about volume and see then how low volume was both doors closed...
  3. GerardG

Post Move Inventory

Some sort of wall case is what I'm considering though wall space in my listening area is at a premium. Gerard
  4. GerardG

Post Move Inventory

Looks excellent, HamboneF18! I'm considering how to better display my cartridges. I'll post more when I do.
  5. GerardG

78 rpm listening habits.

I have a few hundred shellac recordings and like you the older examples I play on the four antique gramophones I own. People are surprised by the volume and quality a tuned gramophone with a rebuilt sound reproducer can generate from a good shellac. Gerard
  6. GerardG

Post Move Inventory

I'll add that most of the plastic stylus cases in the wooden box contain between 2 and 4 styli. The extras being redundant duplicates otherwise I'd have roughly 3x the number to store. I did that to maximize the limited space I had for anything in my previous home. Gerard
  7. GerardG

Post Move Inventory

You are right about reducing the herd. I have thought about reinvesting for a higher end table and cartridge. Thing is, I have many tables that I enjoy and prefer the Shure, Pickering, and Empire sound. But one never knows what I might find... Sorting, organizing, cataloging, and storing is...
  8. GerardG

Post Move Inventory

Before my move I listened 4-6 times per week and to 2-4 albums. Since my retirement and move three years ago I've only just been listening again. Getting the new to us house up to our standards, building the rec room, workshop, shed etc took priority. It's only now that I have time for my...
  9. GerardG

Turntable Preference...Manual, Automatic or Both

I have all. Use all. Like all. Others have given reasons for their use, strengths, and likes. I agree with each. Gerard
  10. GerardG

Post Move Inventory

That is the truth of it. I don't feel so bad with you having 4x my stash...er...collection. I keep my cartridges displayed on the top of my Akai reel to reel. Styli etc are stored in the small decorative wood boxes seen in the pic. Those are kept hidden in a storage cube behind a random...
  11. GerardG

Post Move Inventory

I purchased all most everything between 8 and 12 years ago. I've recently been checking out prices and am astonished at the costs of cartridges and styli today and floored by the prices of turntables and receivers. I'm glad I bought when I did. Gerard
  12. GerardG

Post Move Inventory

It is nice to have options for listening. Choice is important me thinks. Gerard
  13. GerardG

Post Move Inventory

I've just completed a post move inventory of cartridges, styli, assorted headshells and mounting paraphernalia. :eek: Sadly, I can't find a few OEM Empire styli...:dunno: I honestly didn't realize that I have this much and this dosen't even include what I have in use. Geesh. It's more than I'm...
  14. GerardG

Sanyo MG26 (Red Ed) VS Pickering XSV 3000/D3000 Side-by-Side...

Whether the show is Cannon, Harry O, Peter Gunn, or many others along with a little Twilight Zone added an entire philosophy of life can constructed. Worked for me...:smoke:
  15. GerardG

Ethanol for record cleaning?

I truly enjoyed reading this thread. Excellent discussion, gentlemen. Gerard
  16. GerardG

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Quarter Flash, 1981.
  17. GerardG

Proposal of a Modest Turntable: Hitachi's HT-50S

Owning two Hitachi tables I agree they are easily overlooked. The best of the two is a 1980 HT-561 that truly sounds fantastic. The second is a thrift find 1973 PS-12 for $12.99. It still had the cardboard tags attached to the inside and was for practical purposes unused. It ran quite slow but...
  18. GerardG

Yamaha YP-800

My father bought a YP701 when they came out in the mid '70s. I own it now. It sounds wonderful but does run a bit slow and, you are right, I don't mind at all. Gerard
  19. GerardG

Pics of your listening space

I agree about the accoutics but plan to use accoustic tiles of some sort. I'll need to determine what would or might work best. I'll need to think on it. Gerard
  20. GerardG

Another Mystery Cartridge

What you wrote is exactly what I'm thinking and wrote in my op. It is an entry level cart. It's decent but nothing outstanding either. Thank you, again for your considered response. Gerard
  21. GerardG

Thank you for the reply. I saw DJ 03s and wondered if it could be one, Manfred. Any thoughts on stili for it or Nagoka in general? Gerard
  22. GerardG

Thank you for the confirmation, wualta. I've looked on line and generic stili are available. Any thought on what might be a good choice? And, is it worth spending the money on as I know nothing about Nagoka and what seems to be a lower level cartridge (?). Gerard
  23. GerardG

After more Google search it seems this might be a Nagoka 321B cartridge. Any other thoughts as to what it might be? Gerard
  24. GerardG

Well, it's a mystery to me at least. This came on the original headshell for a Sears Canada LXI turntable my father found at a flea market but lacked a stylus. He did put a generic Shure N91 stylus on it. It fit but was unimpressive sounding. The cartridge dosen't seem to be anything terribly...
  25. GerardG

My Listeng Space Update

A final two photos showing my four gramophones and vintage games collection. Gerard
Back
Top Bottom