Search results

1. airdronian

Cayin tube amps, opinions/feedback wanted

I did own the A-60t for several years. I did enjoy it, it was well made and sounded good. I did find out the manual described the triode/ultralinear LED colour incorrectly, but it's apparent what mode you're in by the sound. The one fault it developed after about 8 years was the volume...
  2. airdronian

left channel intermittent on Lux PD-272 table

I do like the old table... bought it new in 1979. This Luxman style still looks great, IMO. It spent most of its time with a Grado GF1. Most recently installed is a Dynavector 10x5, which sounds good.
  3. airdronian

left channel intermittent on Lux PD-272 table

This arm is likely similar to the one on my PD-277. I'd recommend starting by checking the far ends of the cabling - the RCA's as suggested, and the headshell wires. Despite having a non-removable headshell, the internal wiring terminates inside the headshell and then a set of leads connects...
  4. airdronian

AT OC-9 ML II retip by VAS

Recent trade in prices for an OC9ML/II are a bit more than I'm seeing in this thread. Trading for an AT33PTG/2 or an OC9XML is $419.25 and for the ART9XA or XI is $1050. Doesn't seem like the bargain it used to be.
  5. airdronian

Luxman PD277 Tonearm Height Adjustment

It sounds like loosening those lower screws allows the support column to rotate. Probably didn't hurt anything, as long as nothing changed internally. There isn't a ton of information available on this, over at Vinyl Engine you can download the owners manual, etc. I would keep the screws snug...
  6. airdronian

Luxman PD277 Tonearm Height Adjustment

The photo above looks like the Micro Seiki TA-1 tonearm, it has a removable arm tube. The PD-277 comes with what seems like a basic version of this arm, it lacks the removable arm tube and VTA adjust. The owners manual mentions using shims for adjusting height.
  7. airdronian

1963 Silvertone console

Hey, that's good of you to post the schematics. Those posts of mine were a decade ago, and I ended up sending the amp out for a rebuild. I still have it, and use it now and again. Nice smooth single ended sound. I currently use Mullard EZ81, JJ E83CC, and Russian 6P14P-EV tubes in it.
  8. airdronian

New Grado Wood bodies for 2020 plus more!

I purchased a Sonata3 Low last summer, very happy with it. Next cart may well be a Master 3, I think the Grado sound agrees with me.
  9. airdronian

Luxman PD 277

Its best to try one. @stereofisher is right about the play time.
  10. airdronian

Luxman PD 277

That's good. Mine needed Deoxit to get the speed adjustments to work properly, plus a lube of some of the essential mechanical bits. Its working just fine now. FYI, if you are trying to use Auto on one of the 45 rpm LPs that are available now, its going to think you are playing a 7" single...
  11. airdronian

anyone else running vintage Empire carts?

There's others here more familiar with these carts but for reference I'm using a 999 XE/X, quite successfully. Resistance per channel was about 504 ohms, which I understood made it one of the 66 clones.
  12. airdronian

Above the first post on any page, right hand side, select "Unwatch thread".
  13. airdronian

Well, the 239-D7C I ordered from VOM arrived today. Swapped out the stylus and have it tracking at 2 g right now. I wasn't sure what to expect with the conical stylus, but I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. Seems to be working really well. Just on the second album right now and need to...
  14. airdronian

FWIW, the Tonars I have the vendor thinks they are sourced from Jico. I don't think he's certain though, so he doesn't advertise them that way.
  15. airdronian

I have just two 66 clone bodies right now, but thanks for the offer. I am kind of looking around for 2000z, 2000t, exl30, but not too seriously. We are getting killed on the exchange rate. I still have to dial in the Empire a bit as I have been switching around cartridges. The AT I...
  16. airdronian

That doesn't make much sense, sorry. I've really only used the Tonar stylus to any degree, so no comparison to an Empire stylus or other known good version. So its hard to make a value judgement on it. I am having fun with it, and spinning lots or records. I don't think it's as accurate as...
  17. airdronian

I'm afraid I can't give you an informed opinion on the Tonar. It's the only one I have spent much time with in the cart. When I tried the clear stylus I was just testing. I have to say I was surprised at my result with the Empire on my resurrected TT. Engaging sound. I've got one of the...
  18. airdronian

I remounted the Empire today, and had a look at both stylii. Try as I might, it is next to impossible for me to get very good pics. The camera in the phone isn't great, and I might have run out of talent as well. Observing with as much magnification as I could (not the camera), the stylus...
  19. airdronian

What I've found helpful in scouring this thread is to check the "Search this thread only" when using the search function. Helps to focus on these pages only.
  20. airdronian

I haven't knowingly used a conical before. If I had it was on the family turntable in the early 70's, not on any table I've owned. So I'm a little reluctant on that. The two blobs I have came with a stylus of unknown origin, it has no empire logo and a clear grip. Unknown mileage on it...
  21. airdronian

Thanks for that. I just looked at the 1000gt instructions from VE and they indicate there is a nut plate for mounting it - I am thinking that is probably missing on the one I'm looking at. Can you compare some of the chunkies you've had to a 66 clone blob ? That's what I have currently with a...
  22. airdronian

I'm looking around at some of the chunky style carts. A 1000gt in photos seems to have large mounting holes - so much so that I am concerned about issues trying to fit the cart with standard nuts. I queried the vendor, and he says of the similar bodied carts he has (e20, LTD200, etc) they all...
  23. airdronian

I guess that depends on the supplier. A grease gun tube would be overkill, IMO. The last one I had was a squeeze tube and even that lasted for years.
  24. airdronian

Is this Stanton 681 stylus made by Jico?

I would say they are selling direct to cartridge makers, but who knows. Looks like a Phasemation PP-1000 in the photo.
  25. airdronian

Is this Stanton 681 stylus made by Jico?

Nothing like a zombie thread, back to life. Here is a current page from the Ogura site, maybe things have changed. http://www.ogura-indus.co.jp/en/product/section14.php
Back
Top Bottom