Search results

1. Stevescivic

what are the advantages of amplifiers that have higher primary voltages?

hmm interesting. I had a feeling it was linked to higher power output amplifiers. A relative of mine wanted to know the differences in the marantz vs. denon equivalents and why one would choose the higher priced marantz over the denon if the feature set is all the same. My response was...
  2. Stevescivic

hmm, okay, I didn't realize there were that many other factors at play. I recall seeing on audioholics (so likely Gene Desalla?) indicated the differences between the Marantz SR-8012 and the Denon AVR-X6500H (essentially sister models) but he noticed the key differences in the power supply...
  3. Stevescivic

So I was perusing the latest amplifier specs because I have a relative that was shopping for a new AVR and I noticed that occasionally, a reviewer of said equipment would make it a point to highlight that xxxx model has 22,000 uF caps x 2 @ 81 volts vs xxxx model with 15,000uF x2 caps @ 73...
  4. Stevescivic

Found Sony STR-7800SD receiver after it went MIA for 27 years!!!

The receiver was turned on and played up until probably around Christmas time 2019 so it was powered on fairly recently. Sounds great but the fact it cuts out and goes to a lower volume despite having perfectly cleaned pots and switches raises some concerns around potentially cracked solder...
  5. Stevescivic

@ wmgwizard - when you recapped your 7800 did you do the work yourself? Sounded like you hired someone to do it. Do you know what kind of caps they used? I've done recaps of the Pioneer SX-xx50 line with stellar results but the Sony unit makes me leery on recapping beyond the power supply...
  6. Stevescivic

No progress on this receiver yet. Thankfully because my dad is the original owner of the unit that I know the insides are 100% unmolested. That being said I will start off later this summer after this COVID situation blows over and will at the minimum recap the power supply and reflow the solder...
  7. Stevescivic

SX-D7000 and SX-3900

I personally like the SX-3900 more. Being a 3800 owner myself, that I like the old school analog looks with the small implementation of digital into the mix. The D7000 to me, looks old school futuristic and it just isn't my cup of tea. That being said, I'd love to get my hands on either one...
  8. Stevescivic

fried my speakers did I damage my receiver too?

on my Marantz receiver I was roughly at -30db volume level and my svs sub was set to -20db volume. The sub not once ever made any popping or banging noises but at 7 hz my left tower speaker made a god awful flapping "buzzzzbrrrp" sound and then that was when the receiver protection tripped and...
  9. Stevescivic

I guess the bigger question here is is the sub, receiver and my right channel speaker that didn’t fry get out of this ordeal unscathed? Can. Voice coil be partially cooked without me ever knowing? Speaking to the guys at SVS they told me that voice coils are typically an all or nothing failure...
  10. Stevescivic

The purpose of the test was to see how low the sub could go. Yes my receiver was setup as LFE + mains b/c sometimes I don't run my sub and listen to music. Honestly it was an absolutely idiotic move on my part... saddened by the fact that I blew up a near brand new pair of speakers for the...
  11. Stevescivic

honestly, I wasn't thinking and it was a lapse in thinking on my part...
  12. Stevescivic

is there a way to partially damage a speaker or sub? I powered on the marantz last night and at first it wasn't responding to the remote or the selector knobs so I unplugged it and waited for 10 seconds and plugged it back in. Plays music fine and there is no DC output on the speaker terminals...
  13. Stevescivic

So today I did the unthinkable and played an ultra low-frequency test tone from YouTube through my brand new Marantz SR-8012 receiver to my new SVS SB-16 sub and to my practically brand new pair of Energy RC-70 towers and I wasn't thinking about the ramifications of running 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7...
  14. Stevescivic

Pioneer SX1980 - you wont believe this.

Wow THANK YOU for saving a historically significant piece of vintage equipment! I almost purchased a SX-1980 but at a cost of $5400 CAD it was just too much and I already own a SX-1050 and SX-950. You are so lucky to have picked one up for $20 and you did an AMAZING job of restoring this...
  15. Stevescivic

High end speaker cables make a real difference?

Fully agree. I like KimberKable a lot but holy heck expensive. I ended up with a set of blue jeans cable that were much more reasonable and well constructed and sounded almost as good for less than half the cost. I ended up keeping my BJC’s because I looked at then cost of good cable and good...
  16. Stevescivic

The original wires I had were 16 gauge wire and the KK cable was 14 gauge so I do know that there was some differences there BUT historically when I have run 14 vs 16 gauge cables there was no discernible differences in previous tests where a friend and I played with different gauges of wire...
  17. Stevescivic

I was perusing Amazon just now and found a 15 foot Blue Jeans cable company wire for half the cost of the KimberCable so I ordered those to try out too! If I can get the same performance out of a less costly cable then I’ll be golden and if no then I will aim for a set of KK’s in the future.
  18. Stevescivic

I did actually switch back to the old cables and while they do the job that the soundstage sounds awfully veiled and just doesn’t wow me like the KimberKables do. Time for me to start saving :)
  19. Stevescivic

Well I have been doing some basic A/B tests on my cheapie Energy branded speaker wire with monoprice banana plugs against a set of KimberKable 8ft length 8VS cables and I can tell the folks here there is ABSOLUTELY a discernible difference in sound. I honestly didn't need to do much testing -...
  20. Stevescivic

Well I have great news! I asked my sales guy that sold me my receiver to borrow a set of wires and he gave me a pair to take home to play with for two days. Plenty of time for me to evaluate as I know my existing setup quite well. I will report back my findings (if any) to let everyone know...
  21. Stevescivic

Lol my spouse thinks everything we have sounds good and while she is correct that subtle differences she has no true awareness of so it isn’t a reliable test lol
  22. Stevescivic

In the us things are always so much cheaper. For me to buy a pair of 8 foot cable will cost me $200 in Canada. What is it about the canare cable that makes it perform better or is it the ultrasonic welding that helps make a more solid connection?
  23. Stevescivic

As the subject line says - do high end speaker cables make a real sonic difference? Today I was at the local stereo shops and both places sell nice gear and both claim that upgraded speaker cables do make a sonic difference. Got me wondering as I would love to extract more from my already...
  24. Stevescivic

yeah tried doing that but I suspect it isn't the volume pot either since I cracked the case in half and deoxited the insides like no man's land just over a month ago and it is a dead silent smooth pot.
  25. Stevescivic

so get this folks... yesterday I was listening to my trust Sony receiver and the volume was loud and clear and then kinda went significantly quieter but with no distortion of any sorts. It was almost like flipping on the volume attenuator. I thought it was my imagination but my wife said, "hey...
Back
Top Bottom