Search results

1. I

sansui au-717 work in northern va?

Can anyone recommend a good technician or shop in the Washington D.C. metro region? I'd be willing to ship the amp, but would much prefer taking it to somebody local. Thanks again for all the pointers and troubleshooting suggestions.
  2. I

Ahh, I see. Thanks for clarifying. Simply using the amp's headphone jack: 1. With the amp in coupled/integrated mode: hum in headphones; same hum in speakers 2. With the amp in separate mode and jumpers removed: no hum through headphones or speakers
  3. I

Thanks for the pointer. That sounds like it could be relevant.
  4. I

Just tried this now. Sansui pre-outs to headphone amp to headphones = no discernible noise or hum, whether the amp is in separate or coupled mode. So, in summary... Amp in coupled mode: hum through speakers, but no audible hum going from pre-outs to headphone amp to headphones Amp In separate...
  5. I

Not discernibly worse or better, with power cord plug direction reversed.
  6. I

Well, I don't know if this was a sufficient approximation of the final recommended troubleshooting step, but I didn't have another full-sized amp handy, so I went from the preouts of the Sansui to the inputs of small headphone amplifier (a Fiio A3). With the the Fiio set to High gain setting...
  7. I

Okay, here goes: Test 1: With all tone balance controls centered, loudness off, volume all the way down (and, for good measure, tone control circuit defeated), with shorting plugs tested in each of the following inputs, sequentially: 1. AUX: hum still there 2. Tuner: hum still there 3. Etc...
  8. I

I wanted to briefly follow up to say that I'm pretty sure I've eliminated ground loop hum as the source of the noise (I get the hum even with all input sources disconnected from the amp).
  9. I

I've been a very happy AU-717 owner for the past 13 years (thank you, AK forums, for that excellent recommendation). I've recently started to detect an audible hum through my speakers whenever the amp is powered on, even with the volume pot all the way down. Changing sources doesn't change...
  10. I

FYI: free vintage reel to reel deck listed in DC area craigslist

This is not my ad, and I don't know anything about the item described herein, but I saw it and thought somebody here might have an interest. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/289521388.html vintage 4 track reel to reel tape recorder...
  11. I

advice wanted: refoam, replace drivers, or ditch old diy speakers

Thanks for the pdf link -- that was helpful. I think you're right...now that I have a clearer sense of what the numbers refer to, it seems that the FSA0613-0425 is probably the best fit; the outer diameter is a perfect match with the old foam at 6 1/8" and inner diameter is close, though things...
  12. I

I've done some measurements. The speaker cones are 4 5/8" (with angled, not flat, edge), the diameter of the inside edge of the frame is 5 1/2", the outermost edge of the frame is 6 1/2", and the edge to edge outer diameter of the old foam (the part glued to the frame) is 6 1/8". The best...
  13. I

I went to some of the websites mentioned and read through the refoaming instructions. Thank you for the specific vendor suggestions. Looks like it's worth a try -- I'm going to order the parts this weekend. As you rightly note, outlawmws, there's little to lose should things go badly. As...
  14. I

Years ago (I guess 15 or so?) I went through a brief stage where I built some speakers. One pair has remained with me as the main speakers in my office, where they've kept me pleasantly surprised to this day (they don't have to work too hard, because they sit on my desktop less than 3 feet from...
  15. I

Bicycles - Show Us What You Ride

Bianchi San Remo -- with trailer in tow for the 2-yr old...
  16. I

Rejuvenating a AU 717

Just got my AU-717 back from merrylander, who got it back within spec (and also removed that pesky regulator board glue). I took a chance on it on e-pray (excellent cosmetic condition, from the original owner with all original packaging, manual, schematics, rack handles, rear-mounting stands...
  17. I

Treasured Vinyl that Never Made It to CD

Jimmy Knepper -- Idol of the Flies (1957, with Bill Evans on piano) Last time I looked for it, anyway, this was nowhere to be found on CD, which is a real shame
  18. I

marantz cd67se / cd52 mkII SE ?

Thanks for the input. I'm going to buy the cd67. The next step, I guess, will be deciding whether to try to resist the allure of all of these websites I see talking about "mods" to this particular player. It's a slippery slope!
  19. I

power transformer with cd player?

Thank you for the additional replies and clarifications. As for the question of whether it's "worth it" -- that's a valid question to which I don't have a clear answer. In fact, I went ahead and asked it here earlier today: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50726 . Please feel...
  20. I

OK, sounds like I'll need to do a bit more research, then. The seller has been using the CD player in the US with a converter, and it seems to have worked fine for her. Alas, she can't seem to locate the converter (the cdp has been in storage for a couple years). Thanks for the info.
  21. I

marantz cd67se / cd52 mkII SE ?

Is $80 a fair price for the CD67SE in excellent condition? Or how about $50 for the CD52 mkII SE? Both are on sale locally (different sellers). The CD52 is a UK model designed to run on 220V so, presumably, I'd need a power converter to run it here (I'm in the US). Any thoughts on whether...
  22. I

I have a chance to pick up a decent Marantz CD player locally for $50, the catch is that it's a UK model that (apparently) isn't switchable to US voltage. Do I need to worry about trying to run this off of a step-up transformer? Any suggestions of makes/models of converters to look for or...
  23. I

Need help with Harman/Kardon PM665

FWIW, I've been using the pm665's big brother, the 150 wpc pm665vxi, for 17 years. I think it sounds fantastic. I agree that it's worth your while to get it fixed up if you find that that the problem isn't too significant. The most commonly reported problem with these (the 665's and 655's...
Back
Top Bottom