Search results

1. Tinnkindling

AU-20000 vs CA-3000 (as Preamp)...

I used my AU 20000 as a pre for my BA 5000 for a while, then bit the bullet and purchased a mint CA 3000. Honestly can't hear any difference. I have a CA 2000 as well, and although I'm not one of those folks with biologically superior ears, I thought it sounded a bit better, and it is a...
  2. Tinnkindling

Nifty Mini System Dahsen

Well, not that any one wants it, but the local CL free ads yielded a Dahsen Cassette Tape deck. It is a model D 2020S. Obviously a match for my little A2020 amp and T2020 tuner. The deck will play, but like many older cassette decks, the FF and REW functions are not working properly. Tempting to...
  3. Tinnkindling

AU-555 Crossover Question

Himmmm. Now I'm becoming confused, although that's not so unusual. The speakers are locally made here in Vancouver, by a company called Polestar. I was under the impression that if one amp was connected to the tweeter banana plugs, and the other amp was connected to the woofer posts, the...
  4. Tinnkindling

AU-555 Crossover Question

First, my apologies for resurrecting this very old thread, but it does deal with an idea I'm working on. I would like to bi-amp using my BA5000 to handle low frequencies, and a spare BA2000 to handle the mids and highs. The speakers I'm using have separate terminals for the woofers and tweeters...
  5. Tinnkindling

Insight from BA5000 owners please

I have had a BA-5000 for a few years, and I've a couple of things to add to the discussion. First, this is a VERY heavy beast. Moving it around, taking it to the service shop, etc., requires a very strong back, or two guys. The fan on mine never comes on, no matter how long or how loud I run it...
  6. Tinnkindling

Preamp preference???

You know, I've used both the CA-2000 and the CA-3000 with my BA-5000. I do not notice much difference in the sound quality. My own opinion is that this comes down to your own balance between collecting and listening. I like both these preamps, but it's probably because of the looks, the heft...
  7. Tinnkindling

AU20000 transformer

I am so impressed with the dedication and resourcefulness demonstrated in this story.
  8. Tinnkindling

Ba3000 meters not working

You got that right! I notice just how much better the music sounds when you can see it on the meters! Seriously, the meters are part of the "serious and professional" mystique of the classic Sansui gear.
  9. Tinnkindling

Protection Light Behaviour

And what did the source say for the AU-20000? Just kidding ;-)
  10. Tinnkindling

Sansui 8080DB lamp issue.

So why was that fuse blown? What else, if anything, is protected by the fuse. And hey! Glad you got the lights going without any heavy lifting!
  11. Tinnkindling

Thanks for the replies, my mind is once again at ease! I have to remind myself why I bought this gear in the first place, and that was NOT to look at the lights on the face plate, but to enjoy the music...well, mostly.
  12. Tinnkindling

I have a question about the behaviour of the protection lamp LED on my AU-20000. When I turn on the unit, the LED shows red. After a few seconds, it goes out. On my BA-2000 and BA-5000 units, the lamp goes on red, then turns green. Can someone with an AU-20000 take a look at the lamp, and tell...
  13. Tinnkindling

NOS Separates

Cosmetics such as you have described are very desirable in collectible gear. My question to you is what do you intend to do with this equipment? If you use it, it is no longer NOS, and it will collect dust, fingerprints, perhaps even small nicks and scratches. If you buy it to put it on a...
  14. Tinnkindling

Screws for AU-717 cover

It has always bothered me that the screws we need to make our gear look "great again" are not so readily available. I'm sure the rattle can method is reasonably good, but one touch with a screwdriver and then you'll need to paint again. I believe there is a chemical that can be applied to the...
  15. Tinnkindling

Another Dumpster Sansui

Never been lucky enough to find a quality audio component in the trash, but I have found lots of speakers at the curb or in the lane. In the past year, I've found a pair of Ohm Ls and a pair of Energy Pro 2.5s, all in pretty nice condition. Leaves me wondering if they were tossed because they...
  16. Tinnkindling

Hypothetical question....BA5k/CA3k or G 33000

Ah, bling! Don't we all love some bling, in our cars, watches, audio gear? Bling for me is the green meter faces on the front of my Sansui gear. That, and the light reflecting off the machined control knobs. And, I totally get MoeFuzz's point about listening to the music, rather than the...
  17. Tinnkindling

light bulbs

With the love we give our BA-5Ks, CA-3Ks, etc, I can see how we get hung up on the the meter and dial light bulb colours...but these units were built to produce sound, not coloured meter faces... I only look at my meters when a thread like this shows up on AK
  18. Tinnkindling

881 and 6060. Which would you keep and why?

Neither of these units is a "big buck" play on the market. Therefore, I would keep both, as the amount you would get by selling one or the other is rather inconsequential. Not only that, these things are what? 40 years old? Better to have one or two in reserve...
  19. Tinnkindling

BA3000 and CA3000 repair or replace?

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I never see a BA-3000 come up for sale anywhere near me, but I'd like to get one someday.
  20. Tinnkindling

BA3000 and CA3000 repair or replace?

Just checking something here: the BA-3000 has a bridging switch? I know the BA-5000 does, but the BA-2000 does not.
  21. Tinnkindling

sansui ba-5000 vs threshold amps

Short but sweet answer here: My BA-5000 does NOT sound harsh at all. Hopefully the OP, of 13 years ago is still checking this thread.
  22. Tinnkindling

H/K 330C vs Sansui 6060

Although I'm a Sansui fan, I use an HK 330 in my garage, driving a pair of Ohm L speakers, and I'm really happy with the sound.
  23. Tinnkindling

Energy Pro Series 2.5: Information on these?

Looks like they are either not very well-known, or maybe considered so bad that nobody has the heart to tell me they are junk. Anybody?
  24. Tinnkindling

Advent loudspeaker with Rat Shack woofer

Unless I missed it, what has not been established is which cabinets (walnut or utility/vinyl) the Advents have. With the real wood cabs, these are nice speakers, reasonably pleasing to the eye as well. The utility (vinyl) ones not so much. So, for really good wood cabinets, I'd ay around $70...
  25. Tinnkindling

Any "audiophiles" with hearing loss?

I hear y'all! As it happens, I have a profound sensorineural hearing loss, with a cochlear implant in one ear, and a hearing aid in the other. I have enjoyed music almost all of my life. A few years before I got the implant, I sold off my Marantz 2335, thinking it was something I couldn't...
Back
Top Bottom