Search results

1. R

From Dynaco to Ohm: the Warmth is Gone

I agree with Cosmos...I'd focus on placement first. Omnidirectional speakers (which the Walshes are, though directivity is controlled on some models by dampening in the cans and location of the tweeter) are, by default, very sensitive to room placement. These speakers are small enough to...
  2. R

DBX Made Speakers???

dbx made some quality speakers under the "Soundfield" name (expensive as well), with multiple drivers, that maintained a centered image as one moved around the room. As mentioned, the company later sold out (as BSR/dbx), with essentially only the name being used to sell trash through DAK (which...
  3. R

Classic speakers, why do we love them so?

I agree with Justen...older, vintage gear was NOT inexpensive at the time. Particularly with electronics, you're buying a lot of goods for your hard earned dollars today. On speakers, several reasons why the vintage stuff is interesting. First, the companies (and products) had personality...
  4. R

Ohm Walsh 4 Refoam Questions

Omni-directional output was ONE aspect of the original Walsh design. Unfortunately, in real world conditions (read: our homes), omni-directionality causes other problems (lack of good imaging due to phase cancellations, sound reflections, irregular frequency response, etc.). The later models...
  5. R

Does speaker wire polarity matter?

Phase As shared, the key is having both speakers wired in phase to each other. It is relatively easy to determine if one speaker is wired out of phase in a pair; center yourself between the two while playing music. If it is very difficult to localize the image, with little bass response, the...
  6. R

Ohm Driver Doesn't look like Ohm is trying to hide the details of their driver designs, specifically what's inside the cans, given that they're showing the details on their website.
  7. R

The pictures are interesting. As shared earlier in the thread, the original Walsh F used a very complex (read: expensive) driver. Lincoln Walsh passed away before the speaker was commercially introduced. Later model Walsh's, including the 2 and 4, used a simpler driver, but I believe it still...
  8. R

Are Boston A-40s shielded?

Sure glad they upgraded from a 0.75" tweeter to the larger 3/4" (!!!). Sounds bigger, anyway... I enjoyed my A-40 Series II for many, many years.
  9. R

Bose 901 Newbie, Quesntion and opinions welcomed...

Glad you're enjoying them. Seen a lot of Bose bashing on these forums, but I've heard some pretty nice 901 set-ups in my day. They're a unique speaker and can fill a room with pleasant sounds nicely. Enjoy!
  10. R

Upward firing drivers..........

I suspect that the improved bass response from an up (or down) firing woofer is due to the coupling effect of the adjoining wall or floor surface, which will tend to better reflect lower frequency waves into the listening room. Any speaker will appear to have greater bass when placed near a...
  11. R

Bose 901 Newbie, Quesntion and opinions welcomed...

Clipping "Clipping" is when an amplifier is called to deliver more voltage than it is capable of delivering. If you picture a sine wave, the top and bottom of the sine wave will be "clipped", as the voltage of the (overdriven) maximum is capped by the amplifier / power supply. Clipping...
  12. R

Boston A40 impressions, ruminations...

I owned a set of A-40 SII many, many years. A good sub will significantly improve your overall satisfaction. As you've already learned, the A-40's tend to grow on you a bit. I found that they did tend to "hot spot" a bit with the tweeter directly on axis and, as mentioned earlier, they tend...
  13. R

OHM brand speakers

I don't think you'll need a subwoofer with these speakers, and they work great without a center channel with a television...they image that well.
  14. R

Do all speakers require "break-in?"

I was very skeptical on "breaking in" speakers...until I upgraded the drivers on my Ohm 2's. Bass response improved significantly after a week or so.
  15. R

OHM brand speakers

I haven't heard the FRS, but for the price, you can't go wrong. I have upgraded Ohm Walsh 2's -- "Super 2's", so to speak, and are very happy with them (including the bass response). Grumpy is a resident Ohm expert, and I believe he's on the right track. I'm willing to bet the real...
  16. R

Ported/Sealed cabinets

Good example, Paul. I'd go with the sealed as well. Not an lot of extra "oomph" in the low end with the port, and this assumes the cabinet, port volume, and driver specifications are exact. With the driver unloading at lower frequencies with a port, and the lower cone excursion (plus the...
  17. R

Basement Speaker Recommendation Please

I'm using the Boston Acoustic CR-6's with good results. Easy to mount (keyhole on back), keeping everything off the floor, and readily available for $60 or so a pair used. A better sounding option, with much better bass response, than a Minimus set up. They're available in white or black and...
  18. R

Ported/Sealed cabinets

ByrdWngs is correct; you're very close. Note that a sealed cabinet is more "forgiving" than a ported cabinet (the flatness and cut-off frequency is less dependent on variations in the cabinet size than the same with a ported design, which is also impacted by the port size / length). If it was...
  19. R

Speakers with drivers aimed at walls as well as forward

Many of Definitive Technology speakers are bipolar, and the Ohm Walsh series are, by design, omnidirectional (though less so at higher frequencies in later models).
  20. R

Update on my Walsh -2's

Great to hear that you found another set, and it looks like John came through for you on your speakers with the blown drivers. If you like the "vintage" sound, I'm confident you'd enjoy the Super 2's even more, but for the price, you did great! I won't tell you what I put into my 2's, but...
  21. R

diy sub - rolling your own bass =o]

Looks like a good start to me; I've seen far worse. Any, you're right, sealed boxes are more "forgiving" than vented designs. If the driver was designed for a 2 to 3 ft^3 box, and you're at 1.5 ft ^3, you may be OK. Adding the Polyfill will displace internal volume but "fool" the driver into...
  22. R

You think this was this guys first refoam project?

To answer your original question: yes.
  23. R

dbx soundfield- legit or white van?

Interesting to see that Drew Kaplan is still around...and he's STILL trying to sell his inventory of "sound cannon" microphones! If I recall correctly, dbx (which used to make some decent stuff) began selling their speakers ONLY through DAK, and used BSR components. I purchased a dbx NX-40...
  24. R

Allison CD-7

$94 each is a relative bargain. For $200 plus what you have in them already, you should end up with a very nice set of speakers that look good. If you tire of them, you should be able to recover your cost easily.
  25. R

3-letter names of speaker builders

More Svs
Back
Top Bottom