Search results

1. B

Thought I'd add my two cents...

Two things that will help-make sure that there is plenty of light on the subject and hold the phone with both hands while resting your elbows against the side of your torso. The main cause of fuzziness in cell phone pics is camera shake and these two things will help, the first by limiting the...
  2. B

NAD 533 - DIY Plinth and dimensions

The NAD 533 is basically a rebadged Rega Planar 2. A Rega dustcover is your best bet for a proper fit. You can find one at www.needledoctor.com; cost is about a benjamin though.
  3. B

U-Turn Orbit

Actually. I'd go ahead and keep the SL-QD22 and get one of the upgrade styli available from LP gear. Probably this hyper elliptical. http://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATN3472HE.html
  4. B

How to get a song out of my head?

"War Pigs" isn't exactly a new song.
  5. B

Recommendations for >$60 cartridge for Technics SL-1500?

I was going to say the Grado Prestige black would be nice for $60, but it seems the price has gone up to $70.
  6. B

Debut carbon upgrades? Or....what's next

I think the real question is whether the acrylic platter is actually more massive than the stock platter. If it is, then you could expect the table's wow and flutter to improve. If not, then the only real advantage would be getting rid of the static attracting felt mat and the appearance. You...
  7. B

Stereo solutions to appease a not so understanding spouse

I can understand the 4x4 Expedit if part of it's purpose is to keep the equipment out of small children's reach until they are taught limits and respect for others things. Position the speakers where they belong. Buy a nice set of headphones if the other (unseen) half of the room is where the...
  8. B

iPod Question

Have you tried resetting the unit by holding down the center button of the jog wheel and the power button simultaneously? Sometimes that's all that's necessary to get a new screen to work properly.
  9. B

How does Amazon ship their receivers to customers ?

Really, don't worry much about it, especially if you bought from Amazon itself as opposed to one of the vendors using Amazon as a portal. If the apes at UPS or FedEx manage to destroy something, Amazon will make it right. They didn't get awards for having the best customer satisfaction among...
  10. B

What wire to buy

Go to this site http://apexjr.com/wire.html buy the mil spec silver plated teflon insulated wire -both solid core and stranded in 22Ga. $.16 a foot for stranded, $.17 a foot for solid core. available in a number of different colors. Teflon insulation won't burn if your soldering skills...
  11. B

condo noise problem.. hopefully solveable?

My opinion is that the builder of your condo didn't do a very good job of acoustically separating the units. If you are the owner of your unit, I'd consider having an inspection done.You might have some or all the problems that the homeowners had in this video-...
  12. B

Frustrated with my new Debut... Help!

This is absolutely wrong...Pro-ject power supplies are 16V AC.
  13. B

Nearfield desktop speakers.

If you're going to suggest going DIY, I say stick with an already proven design. Paul Carmody's Overnight Sensations are highly regarded as a nearfield desktop speaker and are available as kits from Madisound, Parts Express, and DIYsoundgroup. The latter two even have cabinets kits.
  14. B

Connoisseur BD2 vs Pioneer PL-255

I'd lean towards the direct drive Pioneer, but I'm probably biased due to owning several Pioneers over the years. The Pioneer will most likely be easier to find parts for, either new or used in the form of a second donor table.
  15. B

Stylus for SL-Q200?

This model is a P-mount turntable, meaning that it takes a plugin cartridge. Simplest solution would be to buy a new cartridge. The AT92ECD is a good choice for a p-mount and is very inexpensive, generally less than $30 from various online retailers, including Amazon.
  16. B

Looking for advice - Amp to expand basic vinyl setup

If you live near one, go to Guitar Center and ask about a used PA power amp. Crown or QSC would be preferred, but even a Behringer would do the job for a year.
  17. B

Pioneer PL7 setup

different cartridges- the motor is well shielded on these turntables, so Grado carts don't hum. The prestige series starts at about $60 for the Black. Ortofon 2M series- about $100 for the Red, goes up from there. Shure M97Xe- about $80-90 online or less. Higher end Audio-Technica carts such...
  18. B

Time to Upgrade/spruce up my TT, any ideas?

A stock Debut III? A different cartridge than the stock Ortofon OM5E would be what i'd upgrade. Will most likely require a heavier counterweight to correctly balance the arm, as the OM5E is very light. A richer, more detailed sound as goal suggests a Nagoaka MP-110 or perhaps an A-T 440MLA or...
  19. B

Pioneer PL-7 Headshell Problem

These headshells are made of a molded carbon reinforced plastic. They can't be bent back straight unless heated. Which still might not work. Probably not is more like it. There is at least one online source that has them available new, but I can't remember which site it was right now. They're...
  20. B

Denon DP1500 + ADC LMF-2 Tonearm - Blah Blah Blah..

I think that the Denon 103 series cartridges might be a little too low compliance to be a good match for that tonearm. An Audio-Technica AT440Mla or Shure M97xE might be a better match among currently available cartridges. Or you could look for a nice Pickering/Stanton or something from ADC like...
  21. B

Turntable choices: Rega RP3 vs PRO-JECT RM 5.1 vs PRO-JECT XPerience 2

Have you thought about including the Music Hall MMF 5.1? Same price class as the others (about $1000), and the SE model comes in a nice rosewood finish. I personally don't care for the RM series Pro-jects. Give me something rectangular and that comes with a dust cover. Pro-ject wants an...
  22. B

Any advice for transporting a Technics 1200 mk2 by car?

do take the counterweight off.
  23. B

Famous hit songs with excruciatingly bad lyrics.

The correct line as Bruce wrote it is- "revved up like a Deuce, another runner in the night" a reference to a '32 Ford hotrod and street racing
  24. B

New TT day

An RCM will make things easier, even a Spin Clean is easier than sink washing. Lots of folks report great success using the wood glue method. time consuming but gets the crud off really well.
Back
Top Bottom