Search results

1. wanders

Vandersteen 2ce sig

I have these vans and am up-grading my amp. I’m seeking opinions on the value of internal bi-wire vs true bi-wire for the speakers. I hope to avoid a cable debate. I listened to my speakers bi-wired and jumper wired. IMHO, the bi-wire makes an audible and positive improvement inSQ. Changing my...
  2. wanders

Cost to sell on eBay

I'm thinking about selling some excess gear in the next few weeks. Obviously I'll try Barter Town first; but I wonder what the prices are on eBay and other audio related websites. - like Audiogon, US Audio Mart, etc. I checked eBay and it said about 6%, but my son, who sells a lot of stuff...
  3. wanders

RT 909 feedback issue

I had my RT 909 rebuilt around five years ago by a competent tech; new heads, the whole thing. I don't use it much, but it has always performed correctly. I played a tape a couple of days ago and noticed considerable feedback, as if I was getting output from multiple tracks. Maybe an alignment...
  4. wanders

MR-71 Volume control question

Just answered my own question.
  5. wanders

Tape Starter

Anybody know if these things are available anyplace - likely in a newer version.
  6. wanders

Ideas: Amp for new system

I just discovered that my Mcintosh MC 2105 has a blown OPT; and it looks like replacements are scarce. The amp is part of my Mac bedroom system which includes a C-27 and MR-71; I've also got a C24 and a couple of very nice wood cases. I'm thinking that if I part-out the 2105 and sell the other...
  7. wanders

KA-6006

Just acquired a rebuilt KA-6006 from a credible local rebuilder. Clean, pretty, good sound for the money. Can't find a user manual on line (only a schematic at HiFi Engine). If a manual is available, I'd appreciate a steer. I'm going to pass this on to one of my kids in a couple of days, but I...
  8. wanders

McIntosh MC 2105 Speaker Switch

I'm working through an issue with my 2105. It would be worthwhile to replace the speaker switch, S101 (146-103). Does anyone know if these are available? Many Thanks Warren
  9. wanders

MC2105

About two years ago I refurbished my 2105 (which was part of a vintage bedroom system). It worked fine and made specs. During a move the right meter stopped working, but everything else stayed fine. I messed around with the meter a little and ended up losing power in the right channel; I was too...
  10. wanders

Looking For Stands - AR 2ax (and AR3, etc.)

About six months ago I remember seeing several listings on eBay. Just checked and find only one European source at $140 + shipping. Any thoughts? Thanks
  11. wanders

Playing DSD Files

I have recently acquired a stand alone DAC capable of playing most formats, including DSD (not SACD). I'm using my Marantz CPD to play SACD disks and as a transport for pushing streamed files and CDs into the new DAC (bypassing the Marantz DAC). Unfortunately, the Marantz cannot accept and...
  12. wanders

Switch Terminology

I always think I'm getting better at switch talk, then realize that I'm out of my depth. I bought this switch thinking it was what I wanted. It arrived and after testing it with a DMM, I'm confused. What I want is for this switch to turn on when I push it, then turn off when I push it again. It...
  13. wanders

Marantz SA-8004 to Soekris dam1941

I just completed a DIY Soekris DAC, very nice sound. I have a Marantz SA-8004 which has Both Digital-In and Out capabilities. I'd like to by-pass the Marantz DAC and send cd output straight to the Soekris, but the Marantz Digital Out signal will not play in the Soekris. FWIW, I have a BlueSound...
  14. wanders

Marantz SA-8004 Digital Out

I've owned this SA/CD player for many years and have always been pleased with its performance. In addition to normal cd output, I have a BlueSound Node streamer & file manager passing digital output through the Marantz's DAC via coax cable to Marantz's Digital In function capability. That worked...
  15. wanders

How to wire IDC harness

I'm using the matching headers for these harnesses and having trouble. I'm using 24awg wire, as is spec. I couldn't find a punch-down tool that would work; all are too big. I have not stripped the wire, I assumed the blades would penetrate the insulation. I've tried forcing the wire into the...
  16. wanders

Thin Film Through-Hole Resistors ??

I'm thinking about getting involved in a DIY project from a European Company. The BOM calls for "Resistor Thin Film." That concerned me because, a few months ago, I got involved in building a cheap DIY DAC that used surface mount components. (Wanted to see if I could handle it.) Anyway, I cannot...
  17. wanders

AR 2ax - Restoration Trade-offs

I just acquired a nice set of AR 2ax speakers. They seem to be in pristine condition. The serial numbers are sequential, the cabinets are close to original. I decided to cut off the grill fabric to remove the frame safely; FWIW, that technique worked well. Both woofers appear exactly the same. I...
  18. wanders

Bluesound Node 2 Issues

I've owned this device for three or four years; it has always worked properly until now. It stopped working and I contacted the support people at BS. I'm told that, based on the evidence, that the power supply has failed and the only way to get relief would be to send the unit to the factory for...
  19. wanders

Loss of gain in one mono block

I have an issue with one of a pair of DIY, push-pull, KT-88, pentode wired, mono block amps. I had been running both amps at full power (into 8R/200w dummy loads) to establish baseline measurements before experimenting with feedback circuits. At some point during the high power testing, Amp 2...
  20. wanders

Checking polarity on electrolytic capacitor

I just installed six very small new electrolytic aluminum caps. They don't have any +/- markings on the case; but they did have a long leg which I identified as positive. I checked the schematic again and I might have put all of them in backward. Brain freeze. Anyway, now that the legs have...
  21. wanders

MR 71 Cap replacements

I want to replace a couple of original, Sprague, polarized, electrolytic caps (C59,84) in a, MR-71. Here is the best info I have: C59: Mac# 066-024; 40uf, 200V, manufacturer's marking: 44D10174; C84: Mac # 066-049, 500uf, 12V, manufacturer marking: 44d 10055. Apparently both caps were used in...
  22. wanders

MR-71 Suggestions

I've got a couple of issues/questions about my mr-71. It's in beautiful condition and sounds superb. I've owned it for around five years but don't use it too much because of the limited number of available stations and the abundance of decent streaming options. The one thing I do not want any...
  23. wanders

mc 2105 transistors

I had a bad 132-056 so I contacted McIntosh about replacements for both 132-054 and 132-056. They said their new numbers were 132-254 and 132-255 respectively. They had them in stock for $1.00, so bought some of each. After installing one, it seemed certain that the pin-out of the replacements...
  24. wanders

nf vs uf

Any reason I could not substitute a 22nf ceramic cap for a .02uf ceramic cap? .02 cap is larger, yellow, and says "RMC, .02, +80 - 20; Z5U. .22 cap is smaller, blue, and reads: 1kV, 223 Thanks
  25. wanders

MC 2105 repairs

I've got a bad transistor; specifically Q2 on the input section circuit board. Now Q2,4,6 are a set for the right channel (Q1,3,5 same for the left). I've been in touch with McIntosh and they do stock authorized replacements. My instinct is to replace all six transistors. Also, the leads of...
Back
Top Bottom