Search results

1. bikehorn

Rega RB300 Tonearm on a Technics SL 1100

Probably easy. New armboard, hole drilled in appropriate location, screw down. People put Rega arms on 1200s all the time, so why not an 1100?
  2. bikehorn

Vinyl coming back in India

Cool article. I own a lot of vintage Indian vinyl, mostly classical stuff, a few folk records and some bollywood soundtracks too. These are becoming rarer and rarer and the prices are going way up. Just a few years ago I was paying $10-20 less for some of the ones I have now.
  3. bikehorn

NAD 1020/3020A preamp section vs Carver C1

Thanks. I did think about that possibility but ultimately I don't have the time or room in my condo to do that right now. I might one day upgrade the 1020 and bring it to Calgary though. I have a matching 2140 power amp too, also with a weak channel. Something for the future I guess. Your work...
  4. bikehorn

NAD 1020/3020A preamp section vs Carver C1

I recently became the owner of a Yamaha P2200 monster power amp. I was using my NAD 3020A until I got the Yamaha, so currently the NAD is just being used for its preamp section. I'm extremely happy with the setup as it is now. Every area of sound was hugely improved from resolution and...
  5. bikehorn

New vinyl shops in Ottawa ON?

Thanks guys! Tomorrow should be pretty fun. I'll report back.
  6. bikehorn

Young folks going console-happy in these parts

A lot of young guys like me love these old consoles because the very ACT of using such a classic is so different from docking an iPod and pressing play. It's something you must physically commit to doing to enjoy the music and that makes you focus on the enjoyment without the "ease" factor...
  7. bikehorn

New vinyl shops in Ottawa ON?

I'm in Ottawa right now for work, and I haven't added very much to my collection for a while. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for vinyl stores over here. I'm not looking for used vinyl really(I have all the classic albums I want), I'm generally interested in new wax from new...
  8. bikehorn

Toasted my tweeters, considering Fostex horns to replace?

So today I was listening to some music, source was my laptop connected via a several-meters-long RCA cable. I walked on a bad part of the cable which must have cause some kind of intermittent connection or short, end result - a lot of square wavey noise and tweeters cooked. The IMFs now sound...
  9. bikehorn

Rubber TT Mat Stinks Like Cigarettes: Cure?

Seems like all sorts of effort to save what is essentially a dead mat when you could quickly and easily have a nice new one. I made a new mat for myself out of a sheet of 1/8" cork. It's super cheap and easy plus the mat itself is better than one of those grimy old rubber ones. It worked for me...
  10. bikehorn

What does solid state Class A sound like?

I am playing with the idea of building a Mini Aleph. I could easily survive with 15 watts and I have before using a setup almost like the one I have now(minus the sub). I've never heard such an amp before. I like solidity, clarity, high resolution and warmth. For those of you running Class A...
  11. bikehorn

Best mc cartridge on a budget?

Me too. This thing is a killer. The DL-160 is a little nicer but, at this price point, I firmly believe nothing can beat the DL-110. I have no problems with volume. It tracks brilliantly. The sound is authoritative and yet refined, alive and very clear. Background noise is minimal. The stylus is...
  12. bikehorn

Wow! Garrard Zero 100

I heard they were poorly built junk with a good concept. Why anyone would pay that much when they could get a brand new colourful Rega P3-24 and have cash left for a Denon DL-110 is beyond me.
  13. bikehorn

KD550 and adjusting tonearm

Buy that turntable. Most everything else in that price range, or even triple the price, is non-competitive IMO. Some exceptions apply.
  14. bikehorn

Kenwood KD owners - try this

That's a weak test of a great turntable. I'm firmly holding on to my KD-550 + Rega RB250 combo until either I get robbed or something super spectacular comes along. I have mine on cone feet and it does a good job of protecting itself from the sound of the garage door opening, footsteps, door...
  15. bikehorn

Best receivers for vinyl

NAD 7020...like a 3020 but with a tuner built in. Excellent phono stage and all the other good stuff.
  16. bikehorn

Yamaha Natural Sound - what makes it so?

I went from a Marantz integrated to my current setup using a NAD preamp and Yamaha P2100 power amp. The P2100 is a pro amp and built extremely ruggedly. It weighs 31 lbs. It sounds effortless and clean and although the Marantz sounded warm and nice, the Yamaha has "told" me a lot more about what...
  17. bikehorn

Accuphase P-300 power caps

i don't think they need to be custom made....if they are the right physical dimensions and the same voltage rating or higher, same capacitance rating or a little higher, you should be fine. PS, nice speakers!
  18. bikehorn

KD500 speed problem

I agree with the shot of cleaner in the pots, mine used to wander till I did that. It has to be done from underneath Congratulations on the score!
  19. bikehorn

LPs, CDs, MP3s...how old are you again...?

I'm 23. I remember listening to a few kids' records when I was really young... which I still have. They got put away in about 1990 or 91 along with the turntable. I basically grew up in the CD and mp3 generation. I'm into vinyl because I believe it sounds better than digital sources, but I still...
  20. bikehorn

Yamaha P-450

If you need a mat, you can just grab a 1/8" inch sheet of cork from a craft store and make a 12" circle with a hole in the middle. Trace the outline of the platter and cut with a sharp Xacto type of knife. Poke a hole in the exact center and bam! you have a better mat than the original...for...
  21. bikehorn

Spinning with the dust cover...

I usually keep my dust cover down when I play a record. I don't want dust getting on there while it's playing. Even though my system has response to below 20 hz I haven't noticed a change in the amount of rumble with the cover up vs cover down. My Kenwood KD-550 has a very thick, solid...
  22. bikehorn

Using integrated amp (no preouts) as power amp

I agree with this. You can just continue to use it as it is set up, with the Sansui in the aux input...though I might just use the Technics on its own.
  23. bikehorn

Pro Amps for Home Use?

I use a Yamaha P2100. This thing is super clear, super dynamic, never harsh, never wimpy sounding, never unmusical, never...anything. It just amplifies. If you plug something crappy into it, you will know. I am going to get a P2200 some day to drive Magnepans and use the P2100 to drive a DVC...
  24. bikehorn

What was your first hi fi experience? The day that changed you forever...

One day when I was maybe 10 I went into a Sony Store near my house. At the time the Sony Store sold PSB speakers alongside their own(crappier) speakers. In one room of the store they had some of PSB's best tower speakers(no memory of the model, but this would be about 1995) connected to Sony ES...
  25. bikehorn

Large Advents ? Compare to KLH 5's ?

Anoushka digs my transmission lines :D
Back
Top Bottom