Search results

1. dogn4u

Dual advice?

I posted a couple of times about this Dual 1019 that I just scored. This is the German/Euro model, not branded "United Audio". I cleaned and lubed it and it works great. Right now, Duane Allman's "Little Martha" is playing on the Dual and the acoustic guitar sounds both warm and crisp/well...
  2. dogn4u

Dual 1019

Last week I posted about this Dual 1019 I scored at a yard sale. Took it all apart and I really don't think it's been used much at all in 40-50 years. None of the grease was dirty, though some of it was dried out. The motor is tight and clean. I cleaned up any old grease, lubricated, and the...
  3. dogn4u

Yard sale Dual

Yes, there is a 120/220 selector. I'll check the RCA connections tonight.
  4. dogn4u

Yard sale Dual

Thank you - it was a lucky score. So how do these old things rate against new, say, low-mid range Eastern made TTs? Denon, Panasonic, etc? Also I have an AT 120Eb cartridge in great shape - would you think it appropriate for the 1019? That's interesting about United Audio. I had no idea the...
  5. dogn4u

Yard sale Dual

Sorry next time I'll post thumbnails
  6. dogn4u

Yard sale Dual

Yesterday I was asking about a mono Grado cartridge that I thought was on the $10 Dual 1019 I scored at a yard sale. Turns out that there is also a Grado MC+ stereo cartridge available. Since there are four leads coming off it, I guess it's the stereo version. I'll find out, but first I clearly...
  7. dogn4u

Dual question

Thanks everyone for the good info. I'll get my camera this afternoon and post some pics
  8. dogn4u

Dual question

I do want to take that job on. I'm decent with mechanical things but have never disassembled a TT. Any advice for source of a primer on turntable work?
  9. dogn4u

Dual question

Just scored a minty Dual 1019 at a yard sale. Looks like it's been in the box for 50 years. $10. The cartridge is a standard 1/2", but the one on there is a Grado MC+, which, as best I can research, is a mono cartridge. Which kind of makes sense, bc i understand that this TT could have been made...
  10. dogn4u

Dialed in, baby

Thanks for the kind words, all. Yes, speakers are up the road. A ways. I wish there were a well-stocked mid-to-high end store nearby. I can't buy speakers without hearing them. Good excuse for a run into Seattle. Anyone from there recommend a hifi dealer?
  11. dogn4u

Dialed in, baby

Don't get me wrong, Ray, I've gotten much joy out of Steve Miller's music. And as a musician I have learned a lot over the years playing along with his recordings and paying attention to arrangements and tones and harmony. To me he's like Eric Clapton and Bonnie Raitt in that they are absolute...
  12. dogn4u

Dialed in, baby

Klipsch RB81 - which I love the horn upper mids and highs of. These are the vastly superior first gen RB81, before they dropped the price and cheapened the components. Who sacrifices quality for quantity? It's like that old joke - Woman at lunch: "This food! It's Terrible!" Her friend...
  13. dogn4u

Dialed in, baby

After plenty of trial and error I have my stereo dialed in. The three big recent additions have been a new Parasound 2100 pre, Marantz 6005 CD player, and used Adcom 545 MkII amp. As I added each piece, the sound kept getting better (coming from a small Onkyo integrated and 9010 CD player)...
  14. dogn4u

Components proximity to each other

Thanks, all. I do have another option for tt placement and will get it off the glass.
  15. dogn4u

Sorry - that pic doesn't tell the full story - the way I have it temporarily arranged is with the CD player (not seen here) below the TT. And if you can't make it out, the left side has the pre on top, amp on 2nd shelf.
  16. dogn4u

I'm slowly upgrading to separates for my system. I'm setting things up on the stand in the photo...but I had a thought. Before I connect everything tonight and hide the wires, would it be wiser to move the amp to the right, underneath the TT? In other words, am I risking interference or...
  17. dogn4u

External vs built-in phono pre

So the Luxman is the stock circuit that shipped with that IA? And the Sutherland is standalone? Ah...that Sutherland is interesting. Can't beat DC power for silence. How do the batts last?
  18. dogn4u

Simple remote?

Can I buy a simple, nice looking universal remote that would control: 1) audio preamp 2) CD player 3) TV and 4) Blu-Ray player? All came with their own remotes and all function. Maybe something along the lines of that little Apple remote? Thanks for any ideas...
  19. dogn4u

External vs built-in phono pre

I got my new Parasound 1200 pre last week and look forward to my power amp Monday or Tuesday. Man, such a joy is upgrading. I have a TEAC TN-300 TT with an AT 120Eb cart. Nothing too high end, but I'm very satisfied with the sound. The TN-300 is one of those tables with a preamp built in that...
  20. dogn4u

Spokane area techs?

Nothing at this point...but I'm starting to buy equipment again and wondered who might be about to do good work for me at a reasonable price as it comes up. Things that I can't or won't do myself. Thank you!
  21. dogn4u

Spokane area techs?

Anyone know if there's a decent electronics shop in the Spokane area? Someone good to work on/modify solid state equipment?
  22. dogn4u

Onkyo crap-out; upgrades

It sounded fantastic while it lasted...
  23. dogn4u

Onkyo crap-out; upgrades

Back in April of this year, I bought a 7030 Onkyo CD player. Being my first new unit since a 15 year old Sony 5-disc changer, I noticed a huge difference in sound; especially detail and space/air/soundstage. However, it has just crapped out - all i get are skipping sounds from any of the three...
  24. dogn4u

It's hard to go to bed sometimes!

I remember as a teenager holding cheesy little bookshelf speakers up to my ears in bed and drifting off.
Back
Top Bottom