Search results

1. kcdonahue

Altec 808-8A horns restoration - can these be saved?

I only submerged the drivers deep enough to reach the extent of the corrosion, more out of laziness since the jug was in the shed. I did preclean the drivers with hot soapy water, tooth brush, wooden skewers and tooth picks to dig out the packed in gunk where I could. I also used compressed air...
  2. kcdonahue

Altec 808-8A horns restoration - can these be saved?

Wow! You have your work cut out for you, but still worthy of a good try to save the drivers. The crossovers should be much easier focusing on the replacement of parts and dealing with corrosion. I've had good luck with restoring rusty drivers/motors using evaporust, elbow grease, compressed...
  3. kcdonahue

AK 21st Anniversary Raffle

Jan 15, 2011
  4. kcdonahue

AK Mid Atlantic Gathering May 20th!

I plan to be there on Sat. I will bring a cheese/meat/cracker tray and additional beer for the cooler.
  5. kcdonahue

New 604-8g cabs

Damn, they are stunning! Great job on the build overall and don't hesitate to experiment with crossover components while waiting on your crossovers from ol' mastmutter. I am back and forth between my vintage oil cap homebrews and Werner's and I swap them out for different recordings every...
  6. kcdonahue

California Audio Labs Tempest Dumpster Find

Congrats on the save and thanks for inspiring me to dig mine out! Two Tempests back from the dead in one thread. KC
  7. kcdonahue

My Akai M-8 Amp Build Project

I used one inch extruded aluminum angle from the local hardware store. Cut to fit and and installed using existing holes.
  8. kcdonahue

I agree. Not sure if you have checked this, but have you checked the movement of the laser by skipping to roughly the 15 minute mark on a CD and see if this problem can be replicated when the cd player is cold?
  9. kcdonahue

I used the onsemi 7812, it was less than a buck. I'm pretty sure mine had a 7905 but need to verify... I went ahead and replaced all of the electrolytics on the tube buffer board including the tantalum caps under the regulator heatsinks so I wouldn't have to make multiple orders. You can use...
  10. kcdonahue

As the the cpt says, go for the higher current rating. I bought whatever was cheapest at the higher rating and ended up with a mix of ST and Onsemi parts. Also make sure that you bought the correct part for the single bipolar cap on the servo board... I thought that I screwed up and used a...
  11. kcdonahue

Inspired by this thread I dug out my Tempest that I haven’t touched for at least 5 years, maybe 7, yesterday morning. Luckily, I had ordered the majority of the parts I expected to need when I first tested it out and had them in the box with it. This CD player was previously worked on and was...
  12. kcdonahue

Sweet find!!! I have a Tempest on my repair pile, but I haven't had the time to really diagnose what is wrong with it further than what I've done already. Not to mention that I suck at troubleshooting CD players.... This one had similar symptoms to yours and I was able to correct the drawer...
  13. kcdonahue

2022 Fall Mid Atlantic get together at Ohighway's Sunday Nov. 6th from noon till 6pm.

Was getting ready to leave earlier this morning when my wife discovered water in the basement. Crisis averted and fans running but I'm certainly not making it to Rick's today. Luckily nothing of value was damaged!
  14. kcdonahue

Garrard 301 actual value?

Also depends if it is a grease bearing table "51400/1A" as they are more sought after. From looking at what I can see, at least 43 301s have sold on e-pay in the past year with the low end of $1500 all the way up to $4600 which was a very nice hammertone grease bearing. Hope this is helpful.
  15. kcdonahue

Sansui AU-9500 Driver Board PCB Files

I made and order with JLCPCB this morning and will update the thread when they arrive. Looking forward to getting another 9500 back in action.
  16. kcdonahue

Vintage Pioneer items can someone help ID these items?

Hi James, Hope things are well with you. I think I recognize the integrated as a SA-5500.
  17. kcdonahue

A 400C Transformation

Bumping this thread again as a thank you to Dave:banana: this would not have turned out half as good without your thorough analysis and writeup. This early (two crossover settings) 400c came to me limping along passing some music and lots of hum and buzz. Nearly everyone of the original wima...
  18. kcdonahue

JSE Model 1 Infinite Slopes

Maybe change the old non-polar electrolytic capacitors out with new ones of the same value and see if things improve. One could also replace them all with film but that is not always worth the effort and may introduce some (likely small) but changes in the crossover slope. I had a pair of the...
  19. kcdonahue

Need some Ebay advice about a very rude buyer

This right here. Ebay will very likely consider this feedback extortion and if the buyers does leave neg feedback a quick email or call will get it removed. My wife deals with this quite often...
  20. kcdonahue

Mid Atlantic AK Gathering Sunday May 22nd

I just got back from the Dayton hamfest and going to sit this one out. Hope everyone has a great time!
  21. kcdonahue

Jsg PROPHILE speakers! Anyone heard of them?

Oh man what a bummer. RIP Judd. Just connected up my Profile 4's for a listen. KC
  22. kcdonahue

Help save my poor Audio Research D-100

It may be worth the time to read this thread. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/how-to-fix-the-audio-research-d-110-modules.176373/page-5
  23. kcdonahue

AVG "Threat secured" alert on AK ... just me?

I was having the same issue for the last few days but it did not occur this morning.
  24. kcdonahue

Bob Carver 275 Stereo Vacuum Tube Amplifier

A quick screenshot of the message...
  25. kcdonahue

Marantz 2015 Recapping Questions

For some cost perspective. I recently restored a 2015 and the parts cost after shipping was nearly $100 including transistors to repair a tuner that would not lock in FM stations. I upgraded the power supply and filter caps a bit... I easily had 5 hours into the replacement of parts and the...
Back
Top Bottom