Search results

1. kcdonahue

Technics SL-1600MKII Manual Arm Lift Lever Issue

Hey all, I have a SL-1600MK2 that has a lingering issue that I would really like to correct. The manual arm lift lever does not properly lower the arm after the lever is returned to it's down position, it only goes part way. To get the arm to lower fully, the lever must be moved slightly up...
  2. kcdonahue

Howard County MD Hamfest is this Sunday May 30th - Anyone else going?

I plan to be there and will setup a table if anyone wants to stop by and BS. I plan to bring lots of cheap CDs and whatever random gear that needs to find a new home. I know there are a few of us that usually go to this event and figured I would post this as a reminder. It will be a tailgate...
  3. kcdonahue

Fragged diaphragm and open woofer - Altec

Hey Altec and JBL nuts, Was cleaning the basement a little this afternoon and decided to box up some Altec stuff to make it stackable, which lead me to finding this... After removing the driver from the horn I heard a faint tinkle noise and popped off the cover. That certainly explains...
  4. kcdonahue

Carver M500t faceplate reproductions - thoughts, comments before I buy...

Hey all, I have a Carver M500 that has a trashed face plate with scratches, deep dings, and the silk screened writing under the Plexiglas lens is nearly washed off from water damage. I've had this amp for many years but recently decided to get it working to see how it would push my Shahinian...
  5. kcdonahue

Bracing Altec 825/828 horn flares and cabinets

I'm working on a pair of Altec 825 cabinets to get them sounding better and just started looking at bracing the horns since they vibrate like crazy during frequency sweeps and during midrange heavy passages where the music sounds congested. This pair of cabinets are constructed from ¾ ply and...
  6. kcdonahue

I forgot how heavy MDF and particle board can be.... Altec 9844A

I picked up pair of 9844a a few weeks ago and haven't had much time to play until the holidays. I gave them a quick visual the evening that I brought them home and they looked good and measured generally as expected given that the crossovers were modified. Getting the cabinets into the car and...
  7. kcdonahue

MC-30 Can Capacitor

Looking for some input, I just recapped a dead MC-30 and had a CE 100uf/100uf 500V cap laying around that I used to replace the old unserviceable can. I fired it up and the voltages look good but the rectifier is quite noisy. After thinking about it, I am a little concerned about exceeding...
  8. kcdonahue

Nytone NS-4000 Integrated el84 amplifier

I picked this up locally from a buddy a few months ago and I'm just getting around to planning out a quick refresh as it has a bit of PS hum and sounds a bit thin and distorted. The amp clearly has had some work done but they left the selenium rectifier and some older caps that will be the...
  9. kcdonahue

Repairing output transformer wires with damaged insulation - Seeking advice

Hello All, I'm working on a Fisher 400 that had a tube go nuclear at some time turning the 1.2k resistor into a fire bomb. Someone had replaced the flamed out resistor with a new one before I received the unit. I ohm'd out the transformer and it matched the readings from the tranny in...
  10. kcdonahue

A convenient way to mount your PS caps, and it keeps them warm too...

Was just cruising the web and stumbled on this picture of a "restored" Fisher X101b. Not much of a restoration but I did notice a great way to build in nifty failure mode... :thumbsdn:
  11. kcdonahue

Woofer cone repair options on older Philips driver

This woofer is a 15 inch Philips out of a Heathkit 1348 speaker. At some point in this speakers life, the paper cone was damaged around the area where the voice coil is glued in. I have no history on the damage but found it while diagnosing voice coil rubbing noises. I've attempted to...
  12. kcdonahue

Fisher 800b bias issues

Morning all, I wired this up last night and quit working on it after I had a smoking 15 ohm 6.5 watt resistor while I was beginning to check voltages with my meter (on the dim bulb). I powered it down and left it alone until this morning. I went back to the bench to check it out and take...
  13. kcdonahue

Looking for an audio rack wide enough for Sansui G8000/9000 and Pioneer SX-1250

I'm in the market for a new audio rack for my main setup. So far I have been unable to source a rack that will fit components that are just over 22 inches. The large majority of racks will fit this size component on their top shelf only and that is where I prefer to place my turntable that...
  14. kcdonahue

PAGS delivers the goods!!

Thanks PAGS, I had my stuff fast and it was packed well. Fantastic transaction period. KC
  15. kcdonahue

Looking for David Vorhis "Last Pas" article from Audio Amateur Magazine

FOUND - Looking for David Vorhis "Last Pas" article from Audio Amateur Magazine Does anyone have a copy of the April and May 1982 issues of The Audio Amateur Magazine? I recently picked up a Pas 3x with some neat modifications. See the post here...
  16. kcdonahue

Pas 3 Project - Anyone recognize these mods??

I picked this up from a friend with a bunch of other random projects. I knew it would be interesting since it had the large cap attached via an ubilical cord and what I thought was transformer mounted on the back. I wasn't expecting the amount modifications that I found when I pulled the...
  17. kcdonahue

Another Denon Dl-301 II Problem, it fell apart...

When to listen to some tunes yesterday and was greeted with a dl-301 II that looked like a road kill in rigor mortis.... My first thought was the cat, but then it dawned on me that the dust cover has been on the table with the same LP that I left there days ago, and I rarely leave it off due...
  18. kcdonahue

Big thanks to BigElCat

Thanks for a great transaction. I had my goods two days later and perfectly packed. Almost forgot, they were better then advertised too!! Thanks, KC
  19. kcdonahue

Technics SP-10MKII Owners. Anyone performed the HI-FI World Regulation Upgrades

Hello SP-10 owners, Been wondering if anyone has done the upgrades detailed in the HI-FI World article that is on Vinyl Engine and here: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/DIY/Technics-files.html Sounds like it yields some improvements but I am leery of tearing my setup apart again...
  20. kcdonahue

dew042 - Awesome Seller!

Awesome seller folks, Legit description of the product, packed to withstand just about anything and awesome on communications end of things. Oh, and about the packing.... I'm pretty ridiculous when it comes to packing amps, turntables and such. dew042 is clearly just as careful as I...
  21. kcdonahue

Baco99 = good dude

Yup, Baco99 is squared away. I bought a project turntable from him and it was way nicer than I expected and was packed very well. Great guy to do business with. KC
  22. kcdonahue

KA-907 Score and restoration advice

Hello Kenwood gang, I finally found a Kenwood integrated to match my KD-750 turntable that I restored a few years back. A few weekends ago I found the 907 with the KT-815 tuner at a flea market hooked up to a power inverter off of a beat up truck jamming Van Halen on the radio through a set...
  23. kcdonahue

Vintage Augmented Phase Inversion Speakers??? Anyone recognize this design

Anyone recognize this design? I apologize for the crappy cell phone pic but it was all I had at the time. A local friend asked if I could replace the surrounds for him. The cabinets are still in the truck but here is a post by an earlier owner that I found after a quick google search...
  24. kcdonahue

Audio Regenesis - Shutting down - Major Bummer!

Just clicked on over to Audio Regenesis and found the following message. NOTICE: Production of all AR products has been discontinued. Unfortunately, continually worsening economic conditions, worldwide, has resulted in sales volumes to low to support the continued purchase of boards and...
  25. kcdonahue

Stromberg Dark... ASR-433 functional and cosmetic upgrade

Hello All. Stromberg Dark, Sounds like a damn good beer.... Here is a project that I picked up from a fellow AK'r that I've been working on for months (calculated in minutes per week...). The majority of the work so far has been getting it to look good enough to sit in my listening room...
Back
Top Bottom