Search results

1. A

At 84 years was about to bring a good chunk of my first and second systems for sale ... But...

At 84 years was about to bring a good chunk of my first and second systems for sale ... But ended up in ER on Sat. So must miss the "fest".
  2. A

My first Frankenfest. Couple of questions. * How do most people who reach deals handle...

My first Frankenfest. Couple of questions. * How do most people who reach deals handle sales? Cash? Paypal by Cell Phone? Credit Cards? Or simply checks? * Does the equipment offered include broken, parts, etc gear? Or just working gear? * Where is the cutoff between "ordinary" and...
  3. A

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC with Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge: BASS sounds 'muddy' The Reason?

You may be picking up resonances, as the Project suspensions are pretty basic. See if you can pick up some sorbathane feet (Audioquest, etc). I suspect you are getting resonance feeding up through the stand/turntable base.
  4. A

Jim, thanks for keeping me on the list. I'm finally ready to participate in Frankenfest this...

Jim, thanks for keeping me on the list. I'm finally ready to participate in Frankenfest this coming March 21. Sign me up for an XXL tee and also sweatshirt. We pay at the door for these, or otherwise how? I've got a lot of stuff to bring, and am looking forward to meeting you and the other...
  5. A

What TT's do you folks have

Four Duals .... 2 701's, 1 601, 1 704, and a Denon 47F. The first three Duals and the Denon are awaiting repairs. I may end up bastardizing the two 701's to get one working unit. Cartridges are Accuphase AC-2, ADC ZLM, Audio Technica M95e, and a (style-less) Shure V15 III.
  6. A

Upgrading from the klh model 6

Another vote for the Model 5's. I've got two in a secondary system now, and I wouldn't give them up for the world. I've a-b'd 'em vs my Thiel 3.5s and 2.2s and they come off very well.
  7. A

Sony TC-758 Pros and Cons

Not a Sony, but Teac made a 4070 auto reverse deck during the same period as your 2300. So since you are happy with your Teac you may want to broaden your search.
  8. A

When//how/how much do you listen to music?

As a 79 year old single man, I have few restrictions. But I watch little TV (except for the Red Sox, Celtics, and Patriots) so time is not an issue for me. Usually during the day I have a very good NPR station playing classical, and from 8-11 at night a good jazz broadcast. So when I want...
  9. A

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Lalo Symphonie Espagnole, Yehudi Menuhin with the The Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Sir Eugene Gossens. A Capital Records monaural record from about 1958. Beautiful violin playing and a beautiful playing. One of my first classical recordings bought through the Capitol Records Club back...
  10. A

If you had $400 to spend...

I can vouch for the early Sherwoods. I had a small Sherwood circa 1999 coupled with a couple of small Goodwins-made Radio Shack speakers. That system punched way, way above its cost, and is still working today in my sister's bedroom, with nary a problem.
  11. A

How old are you and what are the frequency limits of your hearing?

Back atcha, Pio1980. I'm still getting used to my hearing aids. Thanks to a discount via my Health New England medicare advantage plan, I received a fixed price on a set of TruHearing Advanced 19 hearing aids. My audiologist, to whom these were a new model, told me they were the first of any...
  12. A

Nightwisher's Systems In "Luxman's Room" And Beyond: Some New And Lots of Vintage

Here are my systems as of March 23, 2019. The first gets about 50% of my listening; located in my livingroom: This system is currently stereo; previously it was 4.0 (bridged front-center channel). From left to right: Teac 4070 bi-directional tape deck, with accompaning Teac Dolby B 180...
  13. A

Am listening to Allen Toussaint "The Real Thing" on Thiel 3.5's dirven by Outlaw Monoblocks from an Audio Research refurbed SP-6a, sourced from an Oppo 105. Great performer; great funk.
  14. A

Am listening to Allen Toussaint "The Real Thing" on Thiel 3.5's dirven by Outlaw Monoblocks from an Audio Research refurbed SP-6a, sourced from an Oppo 105.
  15. A

Stuck in the 1970's

I guess I fit as well for much of my gear: Dual 701 turntable (as well as 704, 601) Accuphase MC2 cartridge Marcof PPA-2 battery-driven headamp Audio Research SP-6a (lightly updated) Fisher FM90b tuner Amber Stereo 70 amplifier Nakimichi CR-1 Cassette Deck KLH Modl 5 loudspeakers main and...
  16. A

New or Vintage Amps?

A mix ... new power amps (Outlaw M200 monoblocks), refurbed old, tubed preamp (ARC SP-6) and tuner (Fisher 90B), new CD and streaming (Oppos 105), old Thiel speakers (3.5's), old Teac tape gear (4070 and 180), relatively new Marantz CD recorder. In my second system, mostly old .... Carver C2...
  17. A

How old are you and what are the frequency limits of your hearing?

I lost my hearing (a 3db rolloff) above 6k in my right ear when I was about 60. But my left ear stayed reasonable full range, and I found the brain compensated nicely the the missing frequencies, and especially kept phase relationships intact. This was caused by a case of Bell's Palsy that...
  18. A

Is Harman Kardon Equipment good enough to be included here??

HK's Citation Line was one of the premiere early audiophile lines .... less expensive but in some ways more than compotetive with the Marantz and McIntosh units of the time. I worked for them briefly in 1974 just as they fired the design team that did the Citation work and replaced it with NASA...
  19. A

How many of you built Heathkits?

Yep, built a top of the line tuner (15?) about 1970. Excellent sensitivity, but I didn't like the sound.
  20. A

Tampa Bay Area

Hey, folks. Anything ever come of this? I'm moving to Lakeland for a few months this winter, and then permanently a year later? I've seen a SunCoast Audio Club .... any of you a member of that by now?
  21. A

Amber series 70 amplifier

It is now 2018. I placed one of these along with a Citation 12 preamp in a friend's system back in 1979. It is used almost daily and is still going strong. I just picked up one, and after being broken in a couple of days is sounding just fine. They may be rare, but if they are working...
  22. A

Tuners?

And it sounds as good as it looks. The second I have of these, identical in appearance, has a weak multiplex, the weak point of these Fisher tuners. But this one is flawless in looks and opperation. Has a dual antenna hookup: one for normal (local) and one for DX'ng. Harry
  23. A

Tuners?

I roll with two Fisher FM90b's, and an original Carver TX 11. They sound nearly identical, and are excellent in all ways. I wouldn't trade them fo anything near their used value. Here are pictures of the Fisher: And here is the Carver: Nice to see other old, familiar gear...
  24. A

Carver TX-11

It does sound as good as it looks .... .....Perhaps even better. This is the only solid state tuner I've heard (and i've heard a bunch of the classics) that has the "rounded" dimensionality of the best tube tuners, with transparency and an audible soundstage where present in the recording...
  25. A

List of DACs Under $450

Don't know if anybody suggested this, but PS Audio's Digital Link iii should be on there. $799.
Back
Top Bottom