Search results

1. Rod Beauvex

RF generator vs Signal generator that outputs in the Mhz range.

What is the difference?
  2. Rod Beauvex

Philips/Fluke PM3065

I've been wanting to possibly hop back into this electronics/audio thing. Yesterday I found a scope in one of those indoor yard sale stores. It is a Philips 3065 (built by Fluke alledgedly), and she quoted me $150. It's fully analog and 100Mhz, but with soft touch buttons, from about 1985-1990...
  3. Rod Beauvex

Tube techs: A question.

I'm sure this is probably suited for a different sub forum, but I feel this is this is tube related enough to be posed here. The hour I have waited for over four years for draws nigh. After spending nearly a half decade holding the floor down, the Pioneer SX-82 will soon go under the knife...
  4. Rod Beauvex

Resistor question.

Finally ordering the resistors for my Pioneer SX-82 that I bought 4 years ago. Been wanting to get 1% 1 Watt Metal films (for very low noise and stability) whenever possible. So far, the prices for the titght tolerance metal films have been surprisignly reasonable, but now I'm stuck at the...
  5. Rod Beauvex

I feel like I'm opening the gates of hell by asking this. :p

But would two SS diodes work in place of a traditional triode splitter, such as you often found in sub 60+ watt amps, seeing as how the splitter itself is not an amplifier? It it would work, why was it never done? Do the diodes not recover fast enough at audio frequencies? Apologies for...
  6. Rod Beauvex

Tuner sharing in the 80's?

It's well documented on The Vintage Knob that in the 80's there were only a couple of actually different CD players that just got rebadeged, but was there a digital tuner circuit sold like this as well? I ask because I have seen what appears to be the same tuner on at least 6 pieces of equipment...
  7. Rod Beauvex

Doubler vs CT.

I didn't want to derail the other thread, but I've wanted to know this for awhile. Assuming silicon diodes in both setups, in tube amplifiers, is the voltage doubler power supply better than the center tapped power supply? Or is the answer, as it frequently seems to be, more complicated...
  8. Rod Beauvex

So is the new Heathkit dead?

Website and FaceBook haven't been touched since last year. A Facebook comment in their last entry claims they sold ten products and closed up shop. Anyone here hear anything?
  9. Rod Beauvex

One things leads to another. :p

The other day I remembered a thread in which noisy neon lamps can cause popping noises in an amp. So for giggle and grins, I pulled out my little Lafayette 'Solid State Stereo 25', which had been making this popping noise, and clipped one of the lamp leads. Sure enough, it hasn't popped...
  10. Rod Beauvex

Headlight restorer for TT cover?

Ok, random thought that popped into my head. Has anyone used the stuff (and process) used to restore car headlights to clean up a TT cover? Would it work? Would it be a bad idea?
  11. Rod Beauvex

Is there a consensus on power supplies?

The older center tapped design verses the voltage doubler favored by later designs? Or have I, once again, asked an open ended question with too many answers?
  12. Rod Beauvex

Another 6bm8 question.

Seeing as the two tube 6BM8 driver - splitter - output stage was commonly used in lower powersettings, I was wondering is this setup could in turn be used to drive (hopefull with less distortion) a larger set of output tubes, at maybe 100+ watts? (Ignoring the whole 75watt wall thing) Also...
  13. Rod Beauvex

What is the differences between the 400, 500, and 800?

While it's been just a teeny while since I've actually looked at the manuals, they still all seem to be the same receiver.
  14. Rod Beauvex

5k or 500k?

Ok. Moment of electrical uncertainty. Schematic for Pioneer SX-82 (a 28WPC tube stereo receiver from '64) says 5K for the bias pot and the two DC balance pots. Parts list in the service manual says 500k for the bias and does not specify for the DC pots. I got bit by this parts list...
  15. Rod Beauvex

Are modern 5881s the correct size?

Or are they freakishly huge like the modern 7591A.
  16. Rod Beauvex

Why are they still making 6BM8s?

While many tubes have come and gone, only the most commonly used audio tubes are still made today, for hifi and musical instrumentation. What was the 6BM8's popular application that allowed them to continue being manufactured? I've only seen them in small, low end receivers. Were there guitar...
  17. Rod Beauvex

Transformer vibrating when heater is on.

I have a JVC RX-3 (or some such) reciever in my bed room. I keep a heater in my bedroom that I sometimes run, and I noticed, when I reached over to pull it out to fix the antenna connections that it felt like it was vibrating. The heater and stereo are on different outlets, but those outlets...
  18. Rod Beauvex

Are the Sovtek EL84Ms NOS or current production?

I'm confused. :/
  19. Rod Beauvex

Heathkit website updated. (12-20-13)

Sorry if this was already posted here or General Audio (I didn't see it if it was)The current owners of the Heathkit name have updated the website, and apparantly did an QA on Reddit on the 20th of December. http://www.heathkit.com/ QA...
  20. Rod Beauvex

Output Transformers with tertiary windings.

I have seen both Acrosound and Dynaco brochures selling large output transformers meant for high output amps that have a second primary winding tightly coupled with the first primary. (These are the TO-350 and A-440, respectively) If I'm understanding the ads correctly, this gives you the...
  21. Rod Beauvex

Having weird issue with truck audio system.

I could have sworn we had a car audio forum. :p The vehicle in question in a 93 Ford F150. I have this odd issue where the front speakers seem to play in Mono. The Back speakers still play in stereo. I have tried 3 different head units in the truck (all with the same harness adaptor), and...
  22. Rod Beauvex

Increased B+ capacitance and tube life.

The following question is asked with a silicon diode based power supply in mind, rather than one utilizing a rectifier tube, which has it's own considerations. It is common, when restoring, for one to increase capacitance for the B+ supplies for the tube's high voltage requirements. I want to...
  23. Rod Beauvex

7591 vs 7868.

These two tubes are similar enough to work in the same circuits with a socket replacement and rewiring. But they are not 100% identical. The 7591 has better THD specs and UL operation wattage figures, according to the datasheets, as opposed to the 7868, which has THD figurs twice as high, and...
  24. Rod Beauvex

Any DU readers here?

No political chat in this thread. :p Just curious as to who else from there is here.
  25. Rod Beauvex

For anyone that has a Pioneer SX-110.

What are the first two letters in the serial number? I've always wanted to know when these were released.
Back
Top Bottom