Search results

1. Geoff777

Nagaoka MP200 vs. MP300

I have considered it over a long period and may yet give it a try - I would love the convenience of a user replaceable stylus.. The negatives for the MP200 were very few - it does have a narrower stage width than the AT33's with more of the music gravitating towards the centre - which gives an...
  2. Geoff777

Nagaoka MP200 vs. MP300

Just to muddy the waters - my progression is that I have a AT33 PTGii now as well as the Nag 200 and the AT 33EV So, of course, I have compared them MP200 & AT33EV on the Gyrodec and now all 3 on the SL1200G The Nag MP200 remains very respectable but has the least bass of the three - the AT33...
  3. Geoff777

2MI's vs 2 MC's

Listening to comparisons of both the Nag MP200 & the AT33 EV on both Gyrodec/Techno arm and Technics SL1200G with orig headshell and Jelco, - the Jelco combi works best for this AT33EV and a massed technics shell (to match) sounded good with the Nag..
  4. Geoff777

2MI's vs 2 MC's

I have thought about it - this one suits, on a practical level, and sounds far better than expected or than any in Amp one I have heard - but its a mine field out there whenever I have looked
  5. Geoff777

2MI's vs 2 MC's

I know this is true -0 but I have the advantage of 1st hand knowledge of the Nagaoka sound as well as the AT sound. Back when I was in HiFi we had a 'comparator' (MA) Turntable with 4 arms and output via a 4 way switch so we could compare 4 carts and get a good idea of the differences. These...
  6. Geoff777

2MI's vs 2 MC's

Really good to hear. On the Gyrodec the MP200 was great but bass slightly rolled off compared with AT540 VM & AT33EV This is less so on the Technics and the AT33EV is still slightly bloated sometimes (not much) in the mid bass. The MP200 sounds a similar balance to CD (un messed with recordings)...
  7. Geoff777

2MI's vs 2 MC's

knotscott: Brilliant! I actually thought 'Oh Hey!' just after I posted. My onliest issue with the MP200 (and therfore the MP300) is the stylus. I have liked the AT ML stylus on my old AT 540 VM and listening online always prefer the better profile styluses (Shibatas excepted) so why not? I think...
  8. Geoff777

2MI's vs 2 MC's

Very similar subject to some recent posts BUT I need to make a move on a new Cart and cannot decide as I cannot get to hear the 2 in question easily. Recently changed from Gyrodec /Techno Arm to Technics 1200G Jelco HS 25 and Achromat. (All comparisons made so far were similar with either deck -...
  9. Geoff777

MM or MC...in the $400-500 range?

Interesting - I can imagine that the MP200 is the sweet spot of the range - so therfore maybe looking at the At33PTG/ii - I am less keen on carts with Shibata styluses - something in there niggles me where a Micro line is smoother - The AT VM540 ML was smooth detailed and quiet but a little...
  10. Geoff777

I like the MP200 as well and lived with it a while - (still have it) I tried an AT VMM540 which seemed smoother and a deeper bottom end but that lacked life compared to the MP200 - but the MP200 occasionally gets sibilance so I got the AT 33EV now considering wither MMP300 or AT 33PGT/ii
  11. Geoff777

I have an AT 33EV & a MP200 - how do the AT 33 PTG and the MP300 compare and also between makes too..?
  12. Geoff777

Nagaoka MP200 vs. MP300

The Nag MP300 on the linear TT sounds better, generally, than the AT 33SA on the Technics to my ears ~ and I have an At 33EV which I still quite like... I am seriously considering the Nagaoka MP300 while I haven't heard it SBS with a MP200 I have liked every recording I have ever heard on it -...
  13. Geoff777

NAGAOKA MP-200

Nag MP200 is pretty good for sure - I might consider making it a FrankinNag at some point but the AT 33EV is a little more fluid and more solid and extended in the bass, plus a bit wider soundstage.. So I may stick with that or the AT33PTG II later..? I have a very old AT 630 SUT and its lovely...
  14. Geoff777

Best cartridge for a SL1200MK2 under $500.

I actually use the AT 33 EV on mine - I may one day change up to an AT33PTG II... With a Jelco Headshell and an upside down Achromat it is really quite good with the EV (I have had a DL103S in the past but I think this would maybe better it)
  15. Geoff777

NAGAOKA MP-200

I have thought about that in the past - I wondered if there were any great improvements over the MP200 with the MP300 - I have heard both but completely separately - they seem somewhat similar... I would consider that possibility to try the MP200 body with an MP500 stylus. I cannot decide if I...
  16. Geoff777

NAGAOKA MP-200

Hi I have pretty much read the whole thread! & I really like the MP200, lets just get that out there at the beginning.! It is not currently on my turntable - another story, but the basics are relevant. I had the Gyrodec/Techno Arm MP200 and it worked quite well - better than a 2M Blue by far...
  17. Geoff777

Rate YOUR Speakers You Own Right NOW.

I have of recent years ditched Floor standers for Bookshelf. (Room compatibility) - recently changed things up on my 2 systems. Now both Klispch based as I quite like the 'live' sort of sound: R51M plus Cambridge SX 120 Sub works well and despite being fairly budget. Its impressed me by is...
  18. Geoff777

New budget speakers recommended please

LS3/5 a's are around but at a high price. I sold my old pair (in A1 condition) and had my hands bitten off for £1200 I could easily have got £1600 Kef Codas haae a lot in common with them. If yiou cannot get to audition try listening online to sound tests especially where several speakers are...
  19. Geoff777

Nagaoka MP200 vs. MP300

Take care, and enjoy the music :)
  20. Geoff777

Nagaoka MP200 vs. MP300

Not ever heard them side by side - my impression is the 300 is smoother and more refined - I think I even prefer it to the 500
  21. Geoff777

Nagaoka MP200 vs. MP300

Yes I know Bodies are different and most likely internal wiring etc and the stylus mount has bolts on the 300 but the actual stylus appears to be the same one
  22. Geoff777

Nagaoka MP200 vs. MP300

So other than the bolts on the side what is the difference? - they are both the same profile...
  23. Geoff777

Nagaoka MP200 vs. MP300

I tried a number of MC step up devices way back in the past - incl Ortofon MC STM 72, I think was the designation, and a solid state Ortofon MCA76 which was clear and clean but a little hard and bright sounding. There was also a DSenon Transformer whose model number I forget... I ended up...
  24. Geoff777

Nagaoka MP200 vs. MP300

I have only heard recordings / Needle drops of the MP300 but am still curious as I have never heard a direct comparison with the MP200. Its interesting to read how others have found similar observations about the MP200 and I truly think its an excellent cart ridge for an MM/MI type cartridge...
  25. Geoff777

Nagaoka MP200 vs. MP300

I have never been able to get my head around calculating compliance and mass etc - I understand the principle however I am just a wee bit Dyslexic with certain things. So I have tried to work it all out (when I knew the arm mass and the cartridge eight and compliance) and got in a complete...
Back
Top Bottom