Search results

1. Guest123

Royal Blood. Jimmy Page Endorses Them

I may be late to the party with this so forgive me if that's so. But I heard a new (for me) rock duo the other day called Royal Blood and I really was intrigued. I did a little research and found an article from the New Musical Express website in which none other than Jimmy Page endorses them...
  2. Guest123

Formula E....Anyone Else Excited?

I see that the new, driver-less "AI" Formula E races are coming. I think this is an exciting development and can't wait for my local TV channel to begin broadcasting them. I really like the idea of eliminating the driver.
  3. Guest123

Jeff Bridges: Our New Gabby Hayes?

Just saw "Hell Or High Water" (or the poor man's "No Country For Old Men"). What's happened to Jeff Bridges? Seems as if he's become a one-note actor these days. His "grizzled old frontier guy with an affected speech impediment" shtick is beginning to wear a bit thin.
  4. Guest123

Promising TV Series That End Up Tanking

Anyone else disturbed by this? A new TV series begins with a promising and intriguing premise but slowly and inevitably ends up flushing itself down the proverbial toilet. There are two series that fit this description for me. The main offender being a French production called "The Returned"...
  5. Guest123

On Tour With David Bowie...a Great Read

For those of you interested in what a rock and roll tour was like in the 1970s but from a tour truck drivers viewpoint, this well-written and fun blog is for you: http://thefilecabinet.blogspot.com.es/2010/03/bowie-and-whacko-redhead.html Enjoy.
  6. Guest123

Musicians and mullets

Just for a change of pace. I was thinking about the Pink Floyd concert I attended long ago and the incredible mullet that their sax player, Dick Parry, sported at the time. You know, the old "Kentucky Mud Flap" hairdo. Business in the front, party in the rear. That got me thinking about other...
  7. Guest123

Where are you on the global fat scale?

Courtesy of the BBC website, here's an interesting little test that works out your BMI as well as where you are in relation to the rest of the population in your country and the world for your gender and age. http://www.bbc.com/news/health-18770328 Be honest now. My results showed Haiti.
  8. Guest123

Lurking Clowns??!! What's Up With That?

This from today's BBC website: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37455073 Isn't life in America strange enough these days? Wow.
  9. Guest123

What If "Getz/Gilberto" Was "Desmond/Gilberto"?

Yeah I know, how dare I say anything negative about this historic and influential album? After another listen this evening, I'm convinced that Paul Desmond should have been the sax player. As a longtime (and hardcore) fan of Brazilian music, I feel that Getz's tone and approach don't mesh very...
  10. Guest123

Quirky Pronunciation

This may have been covered here before but I thought it might be worthwhile to do it again. I was listening to some Led Zeppelin today and still get a good laugh at the way Robert Plant pronounces the word "day" as "tay" near the end of "Good Times Bad Times". Also, while LZ is up, "Want a...
  11. Guest123

That "Wall Of Sound" Sound

Listened to "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" by the Walker Brothers today. It got me wondering about other hits that are such a blatant "homage" to Phil Spector and his Wall Of Sound. Know of any? regards,
  12. Guest123

Older Members: The Early '70s

Here's one for those of us who were in our teens when the Beatles ruled the Earth. Recently I saw a thread on a different popular music forum. The gist of the thread was: how did you survive the early 1970s? I guess for some folks, popular music changed for the worse after the "Big Breakup"...
  13. Guest123

Sad But True

You can't watch "Straight Outta Compton" in Compton because it doesn't have any cinemas.
  14. Guest123

What's Your Favorite Mini-Series?

I'm not sure if there's already been a thread about this. If not, it's time for one. "The Hatfields and the McCoys" was on TV here for the past few weeks. This three part mini-series was thoroughly entertaining with great production values and an excellent cast. Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton...
  15. Guest123

Most Of You Folks Are Really Fat

I was watching a CNN video about that fire in Las Vegas and a few other news videos from America this week. I was struck by how huge most of the people are in the States these days. Even the police, firemen and emergency techs are obese. Shouldn't this be considered a serious health threat or...
  16. Guest123

Movies You Wish You'd Seen On The Big Screen

Last night, "The Life Of Pi" was on the box. I'd seen this one before but to my dismay, never in a movie theater. It's such an amazing movie and I'm sure the impact it has on the viewer is much greater in a theater. With that in mind, I thought this might make a good thread....Movies you...
  17. Guest123

Star-Studded Albums That Still Flopped

Today, listening to Jackie Lomax's Apple Records release, "Is This What You Want?" and reading the album credits, I was struck by the incredible cast of musicians who contributed their talents to this record that ultimately bombed upon its release. It's an amazing assemblage for such a stiff...
  18. Guest123

Kanye West...the World's Greatest Rock Star

I haven't heard any of this guys music (and I don't want to start now) but he apparently headlined the Glastonbury festival in England where he told his fansand the press that he was "the greatest living rock star on the planet". Now I'm not sure of how good this guy is or not but, I wonder how...
  19. Guest123

Self Destruct Inner LP Sleeves

Yesterday, I wanted to play my Jack Mack and The Heart Attack LP (bought new in 1982). As I removed the LP from the sleeve, the plastic inner sleeve suddenly disintegrated into a thousand small pieces all over the floor. What kind of plastic is that stuff made out of anyway? Has this ever...
  20. Guest123

1970s Italian Pop

Any fans here? There's nothing quite like the pop music that was being made in Italy back in the 1970s. The ballads always began so softly and gently but ended so violently. Here's a classic example. A live clip of singer Ricardo Cocciante almost blowing his tonsils out onto the piano. Gotta...
  21. Guest123

The FIFA Corruption Scandal

Anyone else following this story? Check out this link to the BBC's article. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-33039014 Scroll down for the photos of those indicted so far. Wow. Any four year old could tell you that these guys are all criminals just by looking at their...
  22. Guest123

The IT Crowd...any fans here?

We're watching the entire four seasons of the excellent British comedy, "The IT Crowd" again. It's even better the second time around. What a nicely done and often hilarious show this one is. Anyone else a fan of this one?
  23. Guest123

Home Appliance Elec. Consumption Question

Maybe someone here has the answer to this: Which home appliance uses more electricity based on the following: For two cups of tea: Bring to a boil two cups of water in a teapot on the vitro-ceramic stovetop or, put two separate cups of water in the microwave to reach tea temperature...
  24. Guest123

Paranormal Activity Question

We watched "Paranormal Activity 2" last night (the prequel to the first one which wasn't that bad). These are some pretty fun movies, all in all. Checking online, I noticed that there are now a total of 5 films in this franchise. My question is: are they also worth watching?
  25. Guest123

I'm Done With Formula One

Ladies and gentlemen....F1 has jumped the shark.
Back
Top Bottom